Most Soulful Record

Guest brummiemick

Picking out a few lines from a couple of great songs The Four Gents Ive Been Trying when the guy sings the words "so sincerely i wanna love you". Try One Gold Piece when the guy sings the seconed verse "and if i had just one gold piece and happines happiness" it makes me shudder,ive a good mind to catch a plane track him down give him a kiss(maybe) and thank him.As for the Dynamics on Dyna the whole fuckin record is mental

Social source share

Great thread. So many to choose from, and some great choices already.

For me I never tire of hearing Four Tops - Baby I need your loving. The bit when Levi sings "when you see me smile" about 1:30 in, you can almost hear the tears in his voice.

Another one would be, Color him father - The Winstons. Catch me after a couple of drinks with this one and I'm blubbering, Lol.

Social source share

Whilst pondering and thinking of several northern records. I thought I'd post this instead. Not sure how to differentiate 'Blues' and 'Soul', and I'm again guilty of stating the bloody obvious. But . . . .turn off the lights of an evening, play this, look out of a window and try not well up and collapse inside!

post-5677-0-83288900-1321719297_thumb.jp

Social source share

northern SAM WILLIAMS LOVE SLIPPED THROUGH MY FINGERS dosent make the hairs stand up on your neck its burns em off

modern crossover MELVIN BROWN LOVE STORMY WEATHER OR FREDDIE SCOTT GIRL I LOVE YOU BOTH NECK AND NECK

female in general RHONDA DAVIS LONG WALK OF A SHORT PIER sticks out in my mind

male in general DAVID HUDSON MUST I KILL HER the title speaks for itself scary soul

literally 1000.s of others but a couple more that springs to mind are the last 30 seconds of Charles Johnson never had a love so good the guy is busting blood vessels :ohmy: never never never never never!!!!!!!!!!! and of course Herman Hitson you cant keep a good man down ESSENTIAL and moving vocals

Social source share

Great thread. So many to choose from, and some great choices already.

For me I never tire of hearing Four Tops - Baby I need your loving. The bit when Levi sings "when you see me smile" about 1:30 in, you can almost hear the tears in his voice.

Another one would be, Color him father - The Winstons. Catch me after a couple of drinks with this one and I'm blubbering, Lol.

Good shouts Steve ...Levi left us with some great songs to remember him by ...which reminds me " the flip of "Ask the lonely" and a great contender " where did you go"

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good shouts Steve ...Levi left us with some great songs to remember him by ...which reminds me " the flip of "Ask the lonely" and a great contender " where did you go"

So many great songs from Levi. Awesome voice !!!

Check out Don't bring back memories vastly underated track and hardly ever played out !

Social source share

So many great songs from Levi. Awesome voice !!!

Check out Don't bring back memories vastly underated track and hardly ever played out !

think it got a real airing up here in the N.east just a few yr back ...amazing thing about the four tops stuff ...always cheap but top notch sounds :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was thinking the same Bob :g:

Maybe we should put it on hold and have a referendum on the definition of " soulful" and then when we are agreed ....re-open :P

But imho ...it means different things to different people ...so why not agree to disagree and carry on with this uplifting thread :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

First time I heard Cody Black Mr Blue, that was the moment of no return, just the 1st time a record hit me in such an emotional way cant really describe it just did I guess

There are so many great records mentioned on this thread and I have tried to listen to as many as possible but i absolutey love this one - and it's yet another that I have never heard!

Social source share

Maybe we should put it on hold and have a referendum on the definition of " soulful" and then when we are agreed ....re-open :P

But imho ...it means different things to different people ...so why not agree to disagree and carry on with this uplifting thread :thumbup:

I agree with you Nev and that is plainly obvious with some of the choices already made.

Been listening to Betty Harris all week, could pick several from her that are oh so soulful, the same for Tommy Tate who has had some hammer this week.

Betty Harris - What A Sad feeling and I'm Evil Tonight :thumbsup:

Social source share

some superb wrist slashers already mentioned,four tops double sider,just ask the lonely/where did you go,cody blavk-mr blue,and many many more quality contenders ! id like to add to the lists if i may

eddie parker-crying clown

clyde mcphatter-two lonely people

johnny gilliam-roomfull of tears

• Helpful 2
Social source share

These amonst so many rate at the top of the list for me....

Eddie Parker "But If You Must Go" (the 45 version)

Smokey 007 "Please Don't make me Cry" Birland

Carl Hall "You Don't Know Nothing About Love" Loma

Bill Brandon "Rainbow Road" Tower

Freddie Hughes "I Just Found Out" Janus

Joe Hinton "Don't Tell Her The Truth" ABC Dunhill

Tony Owens "Wishing Waiting Hoping" Soulin

...tis so hard picking a most soulful when you're trying to suround yourself with the most soulful music you can find. the true beauty of it all is there is always something new to hear :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Whilst pondering and thinking of several northern records. I thought I'd post this instead. Not sure how to differentiate 'Blues' and 'Soul', and I'm again guilty of stating the bloody obvious. But . . . .turn off the lights of an evening, play this, look out of a window and try not well up and collapse inside!

post-5677-0-83288900-1321719297_thumb.jp

Tried to get to five Soul hairs on the back of the neck -

Idris Muhammad (Sakina's vocal) - I'm a Believer (Gospel soul that makes me want to believe in a god)

Gayle Harris - Aint Gonna Let It Get Me Down

Johnny Copeland - The Invitation (or the flip would do too)

Little Milton - Driftin' Drifter

and just for the vocal power that goes through you like a neutrino through butter Roy Hamilton - The Panic Is On.

Probabaly change my mind tomorrow.

Social source share

One which should definitely be on the list is "I Made It Over", the cruelly neglected flip of Jimmy Robins' "I Can't Please You". An eloquent, dignified and moving performance from one of the great vocalists. To hint at an entire lifetime's humanity and struggle in just three minutes embodies the genius of the finest soul music at the genre's artistic peak.

Social source share

Okay, this is my last go at this thread & I've had more than my fair share, but I've just got home & I've been thinking about this question all night so here goes

Fred Lowrey Can't Get Enough Of My Baby's Love.

Bobby Hutton Come See What's Left Of Me

Phontics Don't Let Love Get You Down.

Jimmy Gildford Don't Let Me Loose.

Jack Montgomery Don't Turn Your Back On Me.

Aid.

Social source share

From household names I would nominate Wilson Pickett's "I've Come A Long Way". Maybe Bobby Womack's best song and a sensational performance from WP and the American Studios musicians right at the top of their collective game.

Arthur Conley is an almost criminally under-rated vocalist in my opinion and a few of his performances are spookily soulful. On "Otis, Sleep On" he captures a level of pathos which is practically super-human.

The Soul Children's "Move Over" is a staggeringly soulful record where the interplay of the two male leads never fails to take the breath away. Add a great Hayes-Porter song and the perfect Stax backing track and you have a record which is hard to beat.

The Masqueraders Amercian Studios recordings are near the pinnacle too. "I'm Just An Average Guy", "Let's Face Facts", "Please take Me Back", "This Heart Is Haunted" are all simply magnificent performances.

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

"You've got me dangling on a string" Chairmen of the Board

Must be one of the most emotion filled songs ever! Just listened to it and the memories of my adolescence came flooding back!

The lyrics are angst personified....

You've got me dangling on a string

Please don't let me drop

My life will surely stop

'Cause I'm trapped in a dream of needing you so

My heart's in a noose and I can't break loose

I'm not half the man that I used to be, and I'll admit it

Your love has become a habit to me, and I can't quit it

Won't you take this half a man and make this man whole again?

Please don't let me drop

'Cause you're everything I've got

The feeling is strong and I can't let go

Every time I phone, your number's changed or disconnected

You have made my life a book of games--I feel so rejected

Girl, you've got the best of me, now come and take the rest of me

Please don't let me drop

You're everything I've got

Girl, my nights are so lonely

Ooh, I'm needing you only

I only drink enough from your loving cup to keep me thirsty

Girl my need for you is oh so strong until it hurts me

Please don't let me drop

You've got me dangling on a string...

Edited by brummiemick
Social source share

The late great Sam Cooke - Pilgrim Of Sorrow

Enough said

https://www.youtube.c...e&v=8e69gCpD4KA

Hey up Irish, how's you lad?

I'll see your Pilgrim Of Sorrow, and raise you a Jesus Wash Away My Troubles :thumbsup:

Pure, soaring, mournful gospel genius.

Some amazingly sad soulful ballads already posted, so I was trying to think of some on a more uplifting and/or danceable soulful tip. I'd have to go for JP Robinson, Our Day Is Here. Sad & happy at the same time, the vocal really tugs at my heartstrings. Or maybe Donny Hathaway, Love Love Love.

Tee

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"You've got me dangling on a string" Chairmen of the Board

Must be one of the most emotion filled songs ever! Just listened to it and the memories of my adolescence came flooding back!

The lyrics are angst personified....

Please don't let me drop

My life will surely stop

I'm not half the man that I used to be, and I'll admit it

Your love has become a habit to me, and I can't quit it

Won't you take this half a man and make this man whole again?

Please don't let me drop

'Cause you're everything I've got

Every time I phone, your number's changed or disconnected

You have made my life a book of games--I feel so rejected

Girl, you've got the best of me, now come and take the rest of me

Please don't let me drop

Girl, my nights are so lonely

Ooh, I'm needing you only

I only drink enough from your loving cup to keep me thirsty

Girl my need for you is oh so strong until it hurts me

Please don't let me drop

You've got me dangling on a string...

have you seen the ridiculous exploito video for this song? doesn't make it seem powerful.

Social source share

Hey up Irish, how's you lad?

I'll see your Pilgrim Of Sorrow, and raise you a Jesus Wash Away My Troubles :thumbsup:

Pure, soaring, mournful gospel genius.

I am keeping very well thanks Theresa and hope you are to.

Well i have called ya . Opps nice hand i think you had that Ace up your sleeve all a long lol .

Edited by Irish Spinner
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Minnie Ripperton - loving you

Even better because it was a commercial success, as it spread the word of how soul can get right under your skin.

Purely for voice alone, Linda Jones, as mentioned several times, has to be the best example of a soulful singer.

Sad to think none of these two ladies are here to accept to applause.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!