When A Cover Version Is Better Than The Original?

Guest soulboy1965

The embedding of youtube clips within the topic is a massive pain. Can people not just provide an external link?

Also quoting a post with an embedded clip and leaving in the clip really slows the pages down.

The message board adds the youtube tags to any youtube video and there's no way to remove them, even if you edit your post. I asked about this and Mike suggested putting a question mark at the end of the link which somehow prevents the youtube tag.

Social source share

OK I got another really good one. Although people here will probably totally disagree. The mad lads "did my baby call" is killer, a million types better than the professionals and steve mancha.

I love the Mad Lads version, the flute is an excellent touch

Social source share

Latimore's "Rain From The Sky" is a much better record than Adam Wade's original, even though I like that too in some respects.

Bobby Womack's "Can't Take it Like a Man" is far better than Gerri Grainger's.

Coke Escovedo's "I Wouldn't Change A Thing" easily beats either Johnny Bristol or Diana Ross.

Close one but Esther Phillips' "Home Is Where The Hatred Is" shades Gil Scott Heron's original.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

Platters wasn't even released until the mid 80's so I'd guess Johnny Hampton's came first.

As for those who think the Four Season's version of I'm Gonna Change Is Better than The Velours...

warning_i_justescaped_fromthe_loony_bin_tshirt-p235632614396525845trdy_152.jpg

Velours much better but thanks for uploading De-to. Sounded (to me), like a Beach Boys production :wicked:

Original

Better version (shot down in flames again??)

So much better lol

Social source share

This is sort of off topic. I don't really listen to rock music but one of my favorite rock LPs of all time is the first Gandalf LP on Capitol. Almost every song is a cover, but they're all amazing. One of the last rock records I still listen to.

And you had a go at me for "Supernatural"!!!!!!

What's next? You dress up as an Orc at the weekends in the Lord of the Rings Reenactment Society?

ROD

Social source share

And you had a go at me for "Supernatural"!!!!!!

What's next? You dress up as an Orc at the weekends in the Lord of the Rings Reenactment Society?

ROD

whatever, that album is good. This one is a tim hardin cover:

and I don't do lord of the rings LARPing, only vampire the masquerade

Social source share

Sorry Tony but the Moody Blues was a typical UK bland, note for note attempt on quality Soul stuff regularly being issued by UK artists at the time, hoping very few people would get to hear the original. And they were right, few ever did because of the stranglehold 'Tin Pan Alley' had on the radio playlists at the time. It was only possible to hear obscure soul on the pirate stations, if you could receive them, which was very difficult where I lived, in the welsh mountains. Nevertheless, I bought Bessie Banks 'blind' and it oozed soul then and still does, whereas The M.B. version is a pleasant oldies radio filler. Georgie Fame did at least 'know' his Soul and was very good live ( I saw him in the Tamla Motown tour of 65) but didn't usually hit it on vinyl for me, EXCEPT for his version of Last Night (the flip of 'Sitting') which I should have put on my list!

The Moody Blues take the fairly poor original and turn it into a masterpiece. Note for note copy, you're having a laugh surely. Bessie Bank's version sounds like an unfinished demo.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

The Moody Blues take the fairly poor original and turn it into a masterpiece. Note for note copy, you're having a laugh surely. Bessie Bank's version sounds like an unfinished demo.

That's precisely why I prefer the Bessie Banks Pete. It's raw and spontaneous which is often a key element of many great soul tracks, no multiple retakes and 'cleaning' up that squeezed out any rawness from most of the UK 60s releases. 'No ad libs, screams, wrong notes, mixed up vocals etc in UK pop/attempts at soul. A great U.S example of spontaneity is Brook Benton & Dinah Washington 2 top stars who completely messed up Rockin' Good Way at one point but made it even better by leaving it in the final issue! I can think of others but no similar U.K examples, but no doubt you will!

Social source share

That's precisely why I prefer the Bessie Banks Pete. It's raw and spontaneous which is often a key element of many great soul tracks, no multiple retakes and 'cleaning' up that squeezed out any rawness from most of the UK 60s releases. 'No ad libs, screams, wrong notes, mixed up vocals etc in UK pop/attempts at soul. A great U.S example of spontaneity is Brook Benton & Dinah Washington 2 top stars who completely messed up Rockin' Good Way at one point but made it even better by leaving it in the final issue! I can think of others but no similar U.K examples, but no doubt you will!

Nah, it may be 2 years on but the debate we had Bessie Banks + Billy Stewart vs Moody Blues + Georgie Fame was one of the most heated I've ever known on here, so I think I'd best stay out of this one now. Always ends in tears. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!