A Few More Aussie Finds. How Did They Get Here?

Suinoz

Following on from my Nolan Chance find a couple of months ago, i spent an hour in the same shop yesterday and went through some of the 12 inch stuff that the guy has. There is a lot of 80's and 90's dance stuff and he must have about 2000 of them to sort through. Having looked through about 50 i came across some interesting vinyl as follows..

KWS hold back the night. This has guest vocals by the Trammps and features a 12 inch Highland Room version of hold back the night by none other than Ian Levine plus a remix version of Young Hearts Run Free ( a Gamble remix )

The Flirtations, back on my feet again ( produced by Ian Levine and S Wagner ).

Marcia Hines, a god that can dance b/w I've got to believe. Lovely modern dance stuff on Warner Brothers.

Sinclair, ( I wanna know ) Why. This has a great Ska version of the song on one side.

Lynn White, I don't know why. On the SOH label ( A PROMO ONLY ) and one of the best mid tempo modern dancers i have heard for a long time. Perfect for a Soul Sam set and probably impossible to find now. And the best of the lot has to be.......

Double Dee, Found Love on Epic. ( 3 versions over the 2 sides featuring Dany ).

All are in mint condition. Pricewise...2 pounds each ( i reckon he dudded me lol )

Just how they got in a junk shop heaven knows, but i had fun looking even if he did close the doors on me after an hour.

Anyone have any info on any of these i would appreciate your comments please. I will be going back to spend more time looking through the rest, plus the other singles. Fingers crossed i might come up with some more goodies. I will keep you posted. Stay soulful.

Tony T Bone. OZ.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...To continue on from what Paul was saying, Lynn White was played everywhere and by everyone when it was a new release, It was more popular than Ollie Nightingale has ever been.

I reckon he 'dudded' you on the others, too. I've got a garage full of those sort of things from my days in club promotion, all steadfastly refusing to become 'in demand'...

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

The KWS was released off the back of a number one hit "please don't go" Network records..........Neil Rushton's label so might explain the choice of track

Social source share

i think Marcia Hines is American but settled in oz after touring with the musical hair...agree with philly dave on the lynn white..superb

dave

she was from Boston I think, and was a judge on the Australian pop Idol..along with Dicko!!! ex English record producer Ian Dickinson.

Her daughter is always in News Idea and all the gossip mags over there for one reason or another..

Mal.C

Social source share

i think marcia hines is american but settled in oz after touring with the musical hair...agree with philly dave on the lynn white..superb

dave

This is correct on the day I landed in Sydney there was a newspaper article about her amazing at is may seem. She was American originally.

Social source share

she was from Boston I think, and was a judge on the Australian pop Idol..along with Dicko!!! ex English record producer Ian Dickinson.

Her daughter is always in News Idea and all the gossip mags over there for one reason or another..

Mal.C

She hailed from America, but came from Jamaican parents (not sure where she was born, I thought Jamaica), then she moved to Oz in the early 70s and been a pop queen there on and off ever since. Her daugher Deni sings as well and has her own following as you know, also gorgeous from what I recall.

Lots of soul stuff released on Oz labels or American imports or even 'dumped' there. All those decades ago, I understand from my history classes that we were still lapping up what the rest of the Commonwealth and USA etc were up to, plus heavy numbers of immigration brought even more such imports ... so between that and due to distances between cities, it's not really that surprising that 'retro' still exists from the golden days. There are (and have been) collectors of soul in quite a few countries who were never associated with, or come from, the uk scene . Not surprising, considering they see it as American black music :wink:

m

Edited by Maria O
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The 'double dee' tune was a big club/rave anthem early 90's. Think its a italian release, wouldnt have classed it as a soul record but seen it go for £15 - £20 which is not bad because you would have trouble giving a lot of those old dance/house tunes away!

Edited by Hayden Road
Social source share

Double Dee "Found love" was a big Sasha Tune at Shelly's Laser Dome, Longton, Stoke in early 90T's.

Definitely Italian Rave, unfortunately I doubt if it would find any favour on the Northern scene, happy tune for happy feet though.

Fond memories.

Mick

The 'double dee' tune was a big club/rave anthem early 90's. Think its a italian release, wouldnt have classed it as a soul record but seen it go for £15 - £20 which is not bad because you would have trouble giving a lot of those old dance/house tunes away!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!