Pete S

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know the artists but I don't know the tracks, it's a proper metal acetate but the labels aren't perfectly circular which makes me suspicious, anyone have any info about the tracks even? The acetate doesn't smell as strong as a recent one would (say 20 years)

post-1893-0-11894000-1321277094_thumb.jp post-1893-0-95607900-1321277099_thumb.jp

Pete is that the Timmy & The Empires unissued track off Kents Ben-Lee cd? sure I heard Dave Thorley play an acetate of it on his radio show yesterday?

steve

Social source share

Pete is that the Timmy & The Empires unissued track off Kents Ben-Lee cd? sure I heard Dave Thorley play an acetate of it on his radio show yesterday?

steve

Dunno Steve but if you follow the link above that Sebastian put up, it's the acetate that is mentioned there

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

steve

Or Timmy and the Emperers/Empires as played by Mr Thorley during his Soul People show yesterday also from an acetate.
Social source share

but the labels aren't perfectly circular which makes me suspicious,

The labels not being perfectly round is a bit odd, but stranger things have happened I guess?

Using Photoshop to play around with labels scans, you soon realise that quite often they are not perfectly circular. So, I wouldn't necessarily take their lack of perfect form as an indication of authenticity or not.

Social source share

As I recall Carl Fortnum purchased the original acetates from Tim Ashibende

I'm 99.999999% sure that Carl made at least 2 copies ... certainly Nigel Parker had one of them as he brought it to my house to play it to me

This might be one of those copies

Andy

I think you are right Andy.

Social source share

I know the artists but I don't know the tracks, it's a proper metal acetate but the labels aren't perfectly circular which makes me suspicious, anyone have any info about the tracks even? The acetate doesn't smell as strong as a recent one would (say 20 years)

post-1893-0-11894000-1321277094_thumb.jp post-1893-0-95607900-1321277099_thumb.jp

:hatsoff2:HI PETE IS THIS ANY HELP? I DON'T NO MUCH ABOUT THIS LABEL ONLY THAT WHAT MICK SMITH GAVE ME YEARS AGO, THAT SOME OF THE BLANKS HAVE DIFFERENT SIDES TO WHAT WAS ISSUED, AND SOME WERE NOT ISSUED? :g:DAVE

post-13241-0-83551700-1321281144_thumb.jpost-13241-0-05948900-1321281174_thumb.j

Social source share

Here's my bit to the story. I just got a few things from a guy on Ebay, one was a white test pressing of The Thornton Sisters and a blank acetate, that plays 'Got no time'. The guy was a house clearance guy on the east coast, I ask him where they came from, he said he had got 2 boxes of records out of a house he cleared. He knew nothing about who had lived there, after posting the first lot on ebay, he says he sold the rest on to someone local. In conversation with him, sounded genuinely like someone that new little about music. The Thornton Sisters, he listed wrongly for the b side and got the title completely wrong, he also had a few other acetates, but those didn't sound that interesting when he played them down the phone, but all were soul/R&B. To be honest the 'Got no time' I could hardly hear, as he was playing it off one of those kid turntables, just sounded like a thumper, so I took a chance.

The acetate, is blank, no info, nothing. It's in an Audiodisc sleeve, a liitle worn and looks aged, with some scratches. can't tell you anymore. I've collected acetates for years and it looks right and I'm happy with it.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert