Big Money Tunes That Do Nothing For You

Phil Shields

Guest gordon russell

big money sets alone turn me right off..........the set seems to be regarded GREAT simply because the tunes are big money and rare.

As for tunes.....any pop shite

Social source share

:hatsoff2:

I will go with that.....

You can also add that fooking 7 day fool....

Big tunes and floor fillers indeed but tunes that i would use for a fag or piss break....

Oh you can add that Johnny Howard, JD Bryant to the list...

peace and love x

Noooo Stevie ..Etta James can do no wrong in my book

Maybe cos it's been played to death ...put it in room 101 mate :g:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

j.d bryant

joe jampot

joey delarenzo

jay traynor

billy arnell

mvp's

lynn terry

deadbeats

the q................all pop records which echo,s what i,ve said in another thread.........learn to recognised pop shite and put it away

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Antelects - Love Slave... I am going to get bang in trouble for this ..... :yes:

Kind of thought it was ok initially, but whereas some tunes grow on you and become firm favourites, others have the opposite effect, this falls in to the latter.

Oh boy yes ................................DEBBIE , WERE ARE YOU ?

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

Agree with most of the above apart from:

Del larks - nice tune. Apparently was loadsa copies on sale late 70s for 10p. I'd gladly pay 100 times that for a copy.

Junior McCants - decent tune - divide asking price by 500 to determine actual value though.

JT Parker - great mod/RnB, but not for the Northern traditional dinosaur. And not worth £700 or whatever its going for now.

Most over rated big money tune IMHO has to be George Pep. If anyone can enlighten me as to one redeeming feature of this clunky, sleep inducing piece of crap I'd be interested to hear from you.

Wouldn't do if we all liked the same things tho, would it?

Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

:hatsoff2:

I will go with that.....

You can also add that fooking 7 day fool....

Big tunes and floor fillers indeed but tunes that i would use for a fag or piss break....

Oh you can add that Johnny Howard, JD Bryant to the list...

peace and love x

I know we're in a recession but I'd hardly call 'Seven day fool' a big money tune! Overplayed oldie, maybe - but then doesn't that apply to 99% of records played at 70%(ish) of venues these days?
Social source share

Guest Heartnsoul

Just thinking, wouldn't you feel a twat if you'd paid big money for one or more of the tunes being totally ripped to shreds in this thread? Sell, sell, sell....!

Social source share

Jackie Day - "Naughty Boy" - Nought out of ten more like !!!

Come on Andy - I remember you dancing to Psychedlic soul - The Mello souls is just as messy and would we say the same about the Servicemen - are you angry which sounds like a band gone beserk on Coke - But I bloody love it. Naughty Boy I can stomach!

Some of the 70s stuff I dont believe should be big money like "New World - Were gonna make it or why should some one pay 3k for Nolan Chance just because its on another label.

Ive been getting disslusioned with prices recently and go for unknown to me stuff around 50-75 quid Gene Willis & Aggregation - That shing a ling thing- being one of them

• Helpful 1
Social source share

its not really encouraging when so many positive threads dont get a sniff and everyone's so ready with the ones they dont like, honestly there's none mentioned so far that I hate as much as hearing anything from the top 100 again.

I actually was thinking the same thing reading this thread (not that it's unique) -- people love to bitch and hate on things, and those threads are always the 5+ pagers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just wondering what the definition of 'big money' is.....some of the records mentioned here are under $1K. That doesn't seem like big money in the grand picture...I would have guessed you're talking about stuff well above 2K.

Many of the seriously rare records were recorded on the cheap and mastered/pressed with second rate facilities so they are not going to be as polished and powerful sounding as a record cut at a major Detroit studio with the Funk Brothers or the Pied Piper team behind them. I don't think the Mello Souls would compete well in a sing-off against the Volcanos or the Ambassadors.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Glawster

Antelects - Love Slave... I am going to get bang in trouble for this ..... :yes:

Kind of thought it was ok initially, but whereas some tunes grow on you and become firm favourites, others have the opposite effect, this falls in to the latter.

Thats you off JW's xmas card list!!! See you saturday.

Social source share

Guest Glawster

Just thinking, wouldn't you feel a twat if you'd paid big money for one or more of the tunes being totally ripped to shreds in this thread? Sell, sell, sell....!

Not really(and no i don't own any of the mentioned tunes!)-These are peoples opinions and my opinion is if you dont like a choon at a venue go outside and dont listen,if you more choons are played you dont like go home and dont go back,certainly dont have them in your collection at home on any format,listen to what you like! Fairplay there are some tuppeny records around that are shite but never command a mention - Northern Soul is great because of peoples differing choice of shite..................................IS IT NOT?

Social source share

Guest Glawster

Not really(and no i don't own any of the mentioned tunes!)-These are peoples opinions and my opinion is if you dont like a choon at a venue go outside and dont listen,if you more choons are played you dont like go home and dont go back,certainly dont have them in your collection at home on any format,listen to what you like! Fairplay there are some tuppeny records around that are shite but never command a mention - Northern Soul is great because of peoples differing choice of shite..................................IS IT NOT?

Off to the sales section to see whats on offer!

Social source share

Agree with most of the above apart from:

Del larks - nice tune. Apparently was loadsa copies on sale late 70s for 10p. I'd gladly pay 100 times that for a copy.

No there where a few copies found (Blackpool/Bradford) from record stalls in the early 70s.

Yes they would have been 10p each, but by the late 70s it was a big money record. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

it appears that I can add Jonathan Capree after hearing it again lol .... oh and JT Parker , sorry to everyone that thinks it's the vinyl messiah but i've never liked it

Social source share

Big money tunes are in the eye of the beholder if rare and its on vinyl to a collector it will always fetch big money .

That don't make a big money Northern soul dancer, because some Ass has categorised it to be one, and thinks we are fool enough to except it bollocks to that. Lynn Terry wtf is that all about music to cut your wrist to.

I am out for a gud nites dancing to proper big money tunes if they happen to be played by Dj who knows a records real worth.

Quote from gud friend if it aint a kicker its a snapper.

¹This interesting subject should make gud reading .

Atb Irish

Social source share

YES!!.... YES!!!! .....Jonathan Capree!!!!.....Jonathan Capree!!!!!.....yes ha ha he hee!!!..... frusty2.gif

when you're off work sick don't start drinking Maker's Mark bourbon cause it makes you go daft and don't listen to Jonathan Capree as that makes you feel iller !!!!!! :excl:

:sleep3:

franc hic.......hic !!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!