Now Available Bootlegged/repro - Audiodisc Acetates

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

one thing I've been wondering about recently are the tons and tons of doowop "repros". As soul collectors branch into R&B and early soul, this becomes and issue. I don't know if there's a guide for them (is there info in the Kreiter guide??), a lot of the knowledge is in the heads of doowop collectors. But most of them are old and won't be around for longer. And a lot look really convincing, partly because they were made at a time when the record pressing technology wasn't that different than when the records came out originally. Maybe someday soon people will pay a lot of money for these records not knowing they aren't original.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Like Northern Soul originals, US Rockabilly originals have been heavily booted as lookalikes since the mid '70s. This would be a vinyl 'reissue', as it wasn't originally released. Bet the vinyl boot looks neat with an Audiodisc label though!

It wasn't the fact that music outside of the narrow walls of the 'Northern Soul' scene is also being bootlegged that I was commenting on - obviously it goes on in all spheres and genres. What I found particularly interesting is that in this instance what has been reproduced is an audiodisc brand of acetate.

Regardless of the 'scene' the music on the disc comes from, I've never seen a bootleg/look-a-like of an audiodisc before.

When bootleggers put out unreleased material for their own gain, they usually do so on a made-up or contrived label name - or go to the other extreme and make it look as if it's on a known label. Actually copying the audiodisc design seems somewhat unique to me and actually rather clever.

Anyone seen others like this?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert