Just How Rare Is The Top Want On Your List?

Guest Beeks

You don't have to name it obviously..but how long have you been looking? Roughly how much do you think it's worth?

I can barely find a record of mine..doesn't even look like it's ever been sold online..god knows the price..could be hundreds..could be pennies..there is just no marker!

Social source share

• Replies 56
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

As in one i think i can realistically get, or the 'pipe dream' wants?

If it's the former, i'd say not very rare (anything in volume of above 30 known copies isn't rare in my opinion). Got one at the top of my list that fits that bill and if i stopped buying bits in between i'd be able to get my grubby mits on.

If it's more of a life long want where you know there's only say 3-10 copies in the world, and know who hold most of the copies then i'd say i have one in that category, but that aint happening any time soon, if at all!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

None of my top wants are 'money records', and none of them have dancefloor appeal. They're mostly just records that are out there somewhere and that have never presented themselves for sale to me.

I've never owned a copy of Don Covay's 'You're Good For Me' on Landa, and I've only ever seen the record twice. But as one of the copies was a stocker, there must be others out there. They've just never came my way in 30-odd years of looking at lists, through boxes, on online sites or anywhere else, so to me that's something really, really rare that I'll probably never own...

Social source share

Guest ashleysoul

I'm after a track by 2 Times 2 called

Outside The City, there's no sign of it apart from on johns rarest of the rare. Can't seem to find one anywhere and have zero idea what it's worth. Dammit!

Social source share

I'm similar to Tony as in I don't have a wants list of expensive or in-demand records, just a casual list in my head of various things I'd like because of the music and / or sentimental value.

In many cases these are replacement copies of records I regret selling many years ago.

But I'm content with what I already have and with what turns up from time to time. In fact I think many of us are probably overlooking some of the great records we already have.

It's easy to take things for granted.

Social source share

for me, it's a garage record, not soul.....I've known of it for 20+ years, never (AFAIK) offered for sale, band members say it exists but none of them have it, none of the many collectors I know have seen it. It's on an Ohio label that issued several other garage and soul records. It's nothing great musically....one of the songs was released commercially on a different format. Still, it seems to be the one elusive record I need to complete several facets of my collection.

Social source share

I'm after a track by 2 Times 2 called

Outside The City, there's no sign of it apart from on johns rarest of the rare. Can't seem to find one anywhere and have zero idea what it's worth. Dammit!

No offence but this is without doubt the worst record ever. Sorry that might be a little strong, it's just not for me. I did have it but gave it back to who I got it from.

Will ask if he still has it if you want?

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Most of my top wants are random label numbers or obscure records. "known" big records are less interesting to me and they tend to come up for sale more often versus never coming up for sale. In terms of my rarest wants, I'm pretty sure i have a bunch of records on my want list that don't even exist (they just are listed in some places).

Social source share

Most of my top wants are random label numbers or obscure records. "known" big records are less interesting to me and they tend to come up for sale more often versus never coming up for sale. In terms of my rarest wants, I'm pretty sure i have a bunch of records on my want list that don't even exist (they just are listed in some places).

Social source share

I'm pretty sure i have a bunch of records on my want list that don't even exist (they just are listed in some places).

good luck finding those :D

For years I searched for thomas bailey on stone and did see one or two on ebay but I have never owned the record. I don't realy spend that kind of cash now so may never get to own it. I may have a moment of weakness if one comes along at a sensible price for old times sake.

Willie Johnson Future Stars issue was my other top want I never managed to own. I nearly got one once......

I would say after 15 or so years of listening to soul music these would figure in my all time top 10 of best rare soul records ever recorded.

Social source share

Few top wants I'd love ... known or otherwise. Trying to be patient and not jump in at first one available but after a while you seem to get a feel for whats around and in what sort of quantity. Have a couple of very rare bits but that doesn't reflect in the supposed price. Stll get more pleasure bagging a decent cheapie though!! Got a brilliant stax item a couple of years back and its top notch crossover and miles better than a lot of top dj crossover spins.

Social source share

No "Top Want" on my list as such...Just a growing list which I TRY to keep realistic in terms of what I can afford and what I really like for my own soul self-satisfaction, and hopefully for others to enjoy too here and there.

Blimey this can be an expensive addiction can't it!! :D:thumbsup:

Social source share

good luck finding those :D

For years I searched for thomas bailey on stone and did see one or two on ebay but I have never owned the record. I don't realy spend that kind of cash now so may never get to own it. I may have a moment of weakness if one comes along at a sensible price for old times sake.

Willie Johnson Future Stars issue was my other top want I never managed to own. I nearly got one once......

I would say after 15 or so years of listening to soul music these would figure in my all time top 10 of best rare soul records ever recorded.

Neither my cup of tea, too Deep for me but Willie Johnson's here

https://www.soulrecordsforsale.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_F_-_J.html

Scroll to the bottom

hope it's the right money?

Social source share

The Vontelles - Trying To Get You Back/Sit Down & Cry on the Stage label.

uptempo northern group from Philadelphia on a pale blue label.

so mythically rare I've pretty much given up hope :(

have it on a old cassette & have only heard of one other copy in the 10 years I've known of it.

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

The Vontelles - Trying To Get You Back/Sit Down & Cry on the Stage label.

uptempo northern group from Philadelphia on a pale blue label.

so mythically rare I've pretty much given up hope :(

have it on a old cassette & have only heard of one other copy in the 10 years I've known of it.

Holy sh*t I have a different 45 by the same philadelphia vontells. Ultra rare. Do you know the label number of the stage record?

Social source share

thats not entirely true there are deoms with both sides but not that copy.
Found that quite bizarre as well when looking for it. I like Left-Over Love as well, nice funky soul. As for the one I'm after has no dancefloor appeal, I only know of two copies and ones in Atlanta and the other was bought on ebay last year by someone who has links to Kings Lynn. Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Jimmy Phillips - She belongs to me....thought I was a dickhead bidding 880$ - it went for 1.400. So double the price of the copy´s before...makes me realize I´ll never get it..unless going to L.A. myself and become a gang member!

Ted Massey bought a copy off a well known dealer a day or two before that auction ended for a lot less than this........sometimes it's just being at the right place at the right time....

Social source share

george johnson jr-just because you are you- (crs ?) heard it on a sales tape years ago so it does exist but nobody seems to know it,i still got the tape somewhere,it was cheap on the sales list but i cant get any info or leads on it at all,great tune ,if u come across it let me know please

jason

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert