French Ep's

Guest DELORENZO

Guest DELORENZO

Living in France I have aquired quite a few French Ep's, are there many of you who collect these ???

I am talking about soul related ones, not your Johnny Hallyday (although his ex wife has a soul tune to her name), Eddy Mitchell, Georges Brassens !!!!

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got a few, but not a collector as such.

Wouldn't mind a full run of the Motown ones.

Theres a great book by Daniel Delorme (?) that has a picture and tracklist of each EP - unfortunately the pics are black and white - I wish they'd pushed the boat out and printed them in colour.

I'd like to see another volume that had all of the French 45 picture sleeves that were issued as well.

Social source share

During the early '80s (about 1983), Ian Clark had a lot of them for sale (if I'm not wrong he picked them up at a French flea market). I can remember him selling the Ray Pollard "The Drifter" EP on French UA for around £18. I think that went to Craig Brick.

Think he also had a James Carr EP on French Stateside and a Hesitations EP on French Kapp (not seen one from the Netherlands yet!), The Sapphires ("Ive Got Mine You Better Get Yours" EP) on French Columbia, amongst numerous nice others.

The only decent soul one I've found cheaply in the UK is the "You Better Go" EP by Derek Martin (shared EP with Shawn Elliott), on French Roulette with two different covers; one plain black with the tracks listed on the front, and another with the track listing against a pic of a topless female.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Living in France I have aquired quite a few French Ep's, are there many of you who collect these ???

I am talking about soul related ones, not your Johnny Hallyday (although his ex wife has a soul tune to her name), Eddy Mitchell, Georges Brassens !!!!

Hi, I'm living in France too and collects (for 15 to 20 years) these French black 50's & 60's 4 tracks EP's but 60's & early 70's singles with picture sleeves.

As Pikeys dog said, Daniel Delorme's book is essential if you're collecting French EP's because there's only black doo-wop, R&B, soul artists inside (no pop, rock...)

Great stuff exists on these french EP's...Tamla Motown artists EP's are large (Brenda Holloway, Earl van dyke, Detroit Spinners, Temptations, Marvin Gaye...) but more obscure artists too like Helen Troy (I think I love you) Betty O'Brien (She'll be gone) Paul Sindab (Do you wanna do/Dropped your candy), Timiko (Don't cry..), Patti Austin (Coral stuff), Ray Pollard (drifter/sad thing), Frank Polk (Trying to keep up), Buddy Lamp (My tears) Maxine Brown (3 ep's) Chuck Jackson (5 ep's)...

For the French singles (45's) it's another (never ending) story...no real books exists on black music, and me & few other French collectors are always discovering new stuff.

Social source share

Hi, I'm living in France too and collects (for 15 to 20 years) these French black 50's & 60's 4 tracks EP's but 60's & early 70's singles with picture sleeves.

As Pikeys dog said, Daniel Delorme's book is essential if you're collecting French EP's because there's only black doo-wop, R&B, soul artists inside (no pop, rock...)

Great stuff exists on these french EP's...Tamla Motown artists EP's are large (Brenda Holloway, Earl van dyke, Detroit Spinners, Temptations, Marvin Gaye...) but more obscure artists too like Helen Troy (I think I love you) Betty O'Brien (She'll be gone) Paul Sindab (Do you wanna do/Dropped your candy), Timiko (Don't cry..), Patti Austin (Coral stuff), Ray Pollard (drifter/sad thing), Frank Polk (Trying to keep up), Buddy Lamp (My tears) Maxine Brown (3 ep's) Chuck Jackson (5 ep's)...

For the French singles (45's) it's another (never ending) story...no real books exists on black music, and me & few other French collectors are always discovering new stuff.

how come so much black music got released ove there? is there a french eqivillant of David Godin who was instumentla in promoting the music?

Social source share

how come so much black music got released ove there? is there a french eqivillant of David Godin who was instumentla in promoting the music?

as in UK, Germany (...) because of the birth of these "new" musics, new clubs, new dances (madison, twist, jerk...), new fashions...with big commercial potential for the record market.

In fact Soul music emerged really in France in the mid to end 60's with Tamla Motown and Stax-Atlantic as they played several times in Paris (Motown revue, Stax Revue...at "L'Olympia" concert hall).

Most of the time, these obscure "Soul" EP's, LP's or singles releases were commercial flops...that's why some of these records are very rare.

To my knowledge, there's no French equivalent to Dave Godin, except probably Gilles Petard (known black records & photos collector and Tamla Motown promoter in France in the 70's) and few musical journalists who had records chronicles in Blues magazines.

Social source share

as in UK, Germany (...) because of the birth of these "new" musics, new clubs, new dances (madison, twist, jerk...), new fashions...with big commercial potential for the record market.

In fact Soul music emerged really in France in the mid to end 60's with Tamla Motown and Stax-Atlantic as they played several times in Paris (Motown revue, Stax Revue...at "L'Olympia" concert hall).

Most of the time, these obscure "Soul" EP's, LP's or singles releases were commercial flops...that's why some of these records are very rare.

To my knowledge, there's no French equivalent to Dave Godin, except probably Gilles Petard (known black records & photos collector and Tamla Motown promoter in France in the 70's) and few musical journalists who had records chronicles in Blues magazines.

thnaks thats really interesting, it would seem, to some extent, there's an untold story of the growth of black music on the continent in the 6ts.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert