Info On 3 Records Needed Please 3 Modern 1 Sixties

Pete S

Sorry about this but having received a huge quantity of records recently, there are stacks that I don't know, and I have tried to do the research before posting up.

First one is

CARLOS CASH & THE MONEY MASTERS - USE YOUR HEAD - CASH MONEY

I know this is a guy called Carl Sims on his own label, just need to know if it has any value

EIGHT EASY PIECES - IT'S GOTTA BE LOVE - STUDIO 1 RECORDS

Obviously this is not the Jamaican Studio 1 label, even though the logo looks very similar. It's a fairly interesting amateurish band number, two singers, harmonies, uptempo backing. Label is from Tazewell, Virginia.

Last one

PAMS - THAT'S MY BABY / HE'S A CHILLY LITTLE THING - CATAMOUNT 781

Top side uptempo Northern, B side dated sounding 60's number but might possibly be retro cuts?

I also need an accurate value on THE ESSENCE OF LOVE - I WANT TO SHARE MY LOVE WITH YOU on K CITY PROMO COPY

thanks all

Social source share

Guest trickbag

4487.png EUGENE SMILEY AND THE ESSENCE OF LOVE we're lovers day and night / yes it's you Eugene Smiley is an artist who played all kind of music ranging from Blues with his band "Mighty BWB Show Band" to Soul.

After featuring vocalist for his first soul band visitors in the 60s and early 70s, Eugene decided to leave the label "Dakar Records" to perform with different soul stars such as Johnnie Taylor, Al Green, Rufus Thomas, Bobby Womack, Al Green, the Stylistics, Eddy Kendrics, The Chi-lites, ....

In 1978, he formed the band "The Essence Of Love" and established with Keith Montgomery and Albert White their own label "K-City Record". He recorded this great single including "yes it's you" and an other rare single "(I want to) Share My Love with you / Marry Me".

Style : Funk 70s / Soul Funk Bands / Early Funk / Rare Groove Media : 7inch (SP) Label : k-city Press : IRDA 481 Year : 1978 Country : USA Staff : keith montgomery (producer,arranger) Value : G Visitors ratings : Be the first one to rate this release Groovecollector Guide ID : 4487

some info pete,sorry no price

ricky.

Social source share

Essence Of Love.

This one is starting to do my head in now.

Dave T reckons it's only worth £20, the book price or popsike price, can't remember which, is £700+

I've got two solid offers ten times more than Dave's valuation.

It's the same track both sides, I Want To Share My Love With You, an uptempo modern soul dancer.

Please - anyone got a definitive price?

I'd like to sell it but I don't want to overcharge, same time I don't want to undercharge!

Social source share

Pete, the Essence Of Love 45 you have is neither on Popsike nor in Manship's guide. The people you're talking to (except Dave) seems to be confusing it with the "Yes It's You" 45 which was released both as Eugene Smiley And The Essence Of Love and also as just Essence Of Love.

Sebastian - thanks for clearing that up! You are right, I was the one confused with the Manship price guide price.

So is it a) unknown or b) known but not worth anything?

Someone obviously does know it..

Social source share

Sebastian - thanks for clearing that up! You are right, I was the one confused with the Manship price guide price.

It's not unknown Pete, well maybe to some of those who returned to the scene? It has had plays over the years, especially the 80's. Price, I guess what Dave said.

Social source share

I quite like it - for a 70s tune :yes:

Social source share

It's not unknown Pete, well maybe to some of those who returned to the scene? It has had plays over the years, especially the 80's. Price, I guess what Dave said.

Chalky, if it's what Dave said I wouldn't have two offers of £250 each I don't think.

Somebody come up with a copy for sale or thats been sold.

I don't care - I'm just moving it on for someone - but it sure ain't £20!

Social source share

Chalky, if it's what Dave said I wouldn't have two offers of £250 each I don't think.

Somebody come up with a copy for sale or thats been sold.

I don't care - I'm just moving it on for someone - but it sure ain't £20!

Pete, snap thier hand off and think no more of it. If I'm wrong then you've got what the market is willing to pay, if I'm right, well done mate. Either way you asked for some help and advice and to the best of my knowledge I gave you what I could, but no one knows everything.

Social source share

Ok, my last word on it. A few years ago several of us spoke to Eugene, he had copies of all his stuff he sold the other one for about $600+, this one he sold at $40 each I had a few and took ages to sell them and sold them for very little. Now times change, taste change so maybe some people now want it and are ready to buy at £200+, fine their choice. But to me compaired to the other track it's average and if I found a bunch I'd still sell it low. As for non on Popsike, etc, I have boxes of records, that have never sold on the webb as far as I can see, does that mean they are worth £££, non of it.

Social source share

Pete.....if someone is offering you £250 and there's more than one ....put it up for offers :thumbsup:

Its not as desirable or should i say as indemand as "yes it's you" ..but i would say it is not an easy one to find .

P.S That Japanese copy has been up for auction at that starting price for a very long time :yes:

Social source share

I was only trying to point out there was at least one copy up for sale somewhere, and sold or not, someone obviously expects to get more than £20 for it

Social source share

Okay so what about this Morris on Plush then, "Can we melt the ice"?

Lust on Cash records.

Sammy Gaha on Right On.

I have around 50 or 60 titles like this which I'll be selling in the next few weeks & months.

I have asked for some expert opinions and even they vary wildly.

I should stick to what I know - Northern!

Social source share

Lust on Cash records.

Sammy Gaha on Right On.

I have around 50 or 60 titles like this which I'll be selling in the next few weeks & months.

I have asked for some expert opinions and even they vary wildly.

I should stick to what I know - Northern!

these records turn up for sale, you can get some prices from popsike. the essence of love you have doesn't really come up for sale. if it was really good it would be a monster record.

Social source share

these records turn up for sale, you can get some prices from popsike. the essence of love you have doesn't really come up for sale. if it was really good it would be a monster record.

Don't like to rely on popsike - what if two people had been chasing the same record and bumped the price up - prefer to hear from people who've had the records and sold them. Anyway, doesn't hurt to toss it out there and see what happens does it, after all, thats what this part of the site is meant to be about!

Social source share

Don't like to rely on popsike - what if two people had been chasing the same record and bumped the price up - prefer to hear from people who've had the records and sold them. Anyway, doesn't hurt to toss it out there and see what happens does it, after all, thats what this part of the site is meant to be about!

that's true, but if there are multiple sales it can give you a more accurate idea. anyways, the lust has gone down from a few years ago as a bunch (not a lot) of copies have come up for sale since. I think one ended on ebay in the last couple weeks. I would say around $300 or maybe $400 on the lust if mint.

Social source share

that's true, but if there are multiple sales it can give you a more accurate idea. anyways, the lust has gone down from a few years ago as a bunch (not a lot) of copies have come up for sale since. I think one ended on ebay in the last couple weeks. I would say around $300 or maybe $400 on the lust if mint.

Boba , mate , sometimes you just come across as not 'Suffering fools gladly' as we say over here?

not being funny, because I read your input with interest , you are a very knowledgeable bloke , sometimes a bit harsh though ?

Helmet On Then !!!

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Boba , mate , sometimes you just come across as not 'Suffering fools gladly' as we say over here?

not being funny, because I read your input with interest , you are a very knowledgeable bloke , sometimes a bit harsh though ?

Helmet On Then !!!

Cheers

Sorry, I don't know the expression. Are you saying I come across as a dick? That's probably true, and I apologize for it, I'm just a smartass in general and not trying to actually be malicious to anybody. But in this thread I'm not seeing what you're talking about. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.

Social source share

Pete

The thing on K-City I have at some stage seen on a British dealers list for £100 pounds surprisingly I have never logged one thru eBay compared with the 9 or 10 copies of Eugene Smiley logged thru. Perhaps this explains why you can't find it on Popsike I have a note to say that only black demo copies exist and of course it had Eugene Smiley involvement. Incidentally I also have a note to say that for me It's not worth buying NWB Disco :) but I'm sure it's rarer than the big money item.

"Snap" "crackle" "pop" by David Morris on Plush is around £50 $22 $31 $42 on eBay perhaps yours is a touch rarer Any good?

Depending on the number of the thing on Cash I could only hazard an educated guess

Hope this helps

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry, I don't know the expression. Are you saying I come across as a dick? That's probably true, and I apologize for it, I'm just a smartass in general and not trying to actually be malicious to anybody. But in this thread I'm not seeing what you're talking about. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.

Boba , have sent you pm with apoligies , I misread your reply (too many wines) sorry mate :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Carlos Cash And The Money Masters - Use Your Head (Parts one and two)Cash Money Records 4241 (1983). Value - no less than £15.00 uk pounds and worth no more than £20.00 uk pounds. Was around in small quantities during the mid eighties via Soul Bowl. Never received much playtime or attention back then. Boba's knowledge is priceless and his posts are much valued - Thanks.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Carlos Cash And The Money Masters - Use Your Head (Parts one and two)Cash Money Records 4241 (1983). Value - no less than £15.00 uk pounds and worth no more than £20.00 uk pounds. Was around in small quantities during the mid eighties via Soul Bowl. Never received much playtime or attention back then. Boba's knowledge is priceless and his posts are much valued - Thanks.

Thanks Nick.

Social source share

Pete

The thing on K-City I have at some stage seen on a British dealers list for £100 pounds surprisingly I have never logged one thru eBay compared with the 9 or 10 copies of Eugene Smiley logged thru. Perhaps this explains why you can't find it on Popsike I have a note to say that only black demo copies exist and of course it had Eugene Smiley involvement. Incidentally I also have a note to say that for me It's not worth buying NWB Disco :) but I'm sure it's rarer than the big money item.

"Snap" "crackle" "pop" by David Morris on Plush is around £50 $22 $31 $42 on eBay perhaps yours is a touch rarer Any good?

Depending on the number of the thing on Cash I could only hazard an educated guess

Hope this helps

Dazz - different thing altogether mate, I've got a couple of the Snap Crackle Pop 45, yellow label, £30.

The Morris on Plush is shown below.

It's got a £300 minimum on it.

post-1893-0-28432800-1321003773_thumb.jp

Social source share

Sold mine for £550 five years back Pete- very rare less than 10 copies came into Uk via Mike Ward when a new release - don' t listen to punters who says its not - this is seriously rare solid centre 45....his other twelves have fetched £30/50 pounds and they ain' t a patch on this 45....

Social source share

Sold mine for £550 five years back Pete- very rare less than 10 copies came into Uk via Mike Ward when a new release - don' t listen to punters who says its not - this is seriously rare solid centre 45....his other twelves have fetched £30/50 pounds and they ain' t a patch on this 45....

Thanks Glyn. Now sold.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys

Having been to see Smiley recently I can add a little more to THE ESSENCE OF LOVE - I WANT TO SHARE MY LOVE WITH YOU - K CITY. The track was recorded around the same time as 'Yes it's you', but not released until many years later. Smiley is a little vague as to when but 90's at the earliest. For this reason he only ever sold them for a fraction of the other 45 (£30-£40)

I have a copy that he gave me, it clearly is a later thin wax, bump edge pressing and the label has dot printing, not old fashioned black printing. So as I said at the time of this original post, I would value this way lower than the 'Yes it's you'. Now if people want to offer Pete S £££ for it, then buyers choice, but is it worth than, I'd say no.

Social source share

Hi Guys

Having been to see Smiley recently I can add a little more to THE ESSENCE OF LOVE - I WANT TO SHARE MY LOVE WITH YOU - K CITY. The track was recorded around the same time as 'Yes it's you', but not released until many years later. Smiley is a little vague as to when but 90's at the earliest. For this reason he only ever sold them for a fraction of the other 45 (£30-£40)

I have a copy that he gave me, it clearly is a later thin wax, bump edge pressing and the label has dot printing, not old fashioned black printing. So as I said at the time of this original post, I would value this way lower than the 'Yes it's you'. Now if people want to offer Pete S £££ for it, then buyers choice, but is it worth than, I'd say no.

Post is over 2 years old Dave, got none of those anymore.  I don't even remember them!

Social source share

I think you're mixing up two different pressings of this 45.

If I read the sales blurb on his homepage right, the white labelled K-CITY 45 of this (which he is selling for $650!) features a slower version and was pressed in 2012 (it has been "sitting on the shelf for 34 years", 1978+34 = 2012).

The black labelled PROMO copies were pressed in 1978.

The promo that I've got is definitely not a 90's or 2010+ pressing.

From the homepage:

"I WANT TO SHARE MY LOVE WITH YOU

This vinyl 45 was never released and only a few promo copies were pressed in 1978. This was the year the new Disco Scene became all the rage, so the K-City Records team decided not to release ”I Want To Share My Love With You.” The song has been sitting on the shelf for 34 years and now some of you lucky fans with your own copies have begun to sell those 45s, because of the music’s exclusivity. The buyer of the slower-tempo arrangement of “I Want To Share My Love With You” 45 vinyl record will receive a complimentary Bio with an autographed photo from the original artist "Mr. Eugene Smiley" of The Essence of Love. This Collector’s Item is in very good condition."

https://www.kcityrecords.com/buy/rare_soul_music_collection_i_want_to_share_my_love_with_you/

Am I missing something here? :g:

post-1392-0-22820300-1388747434.jpg  post-1392-0-66879600-1388747434.jpg

Social source share

I think you're mixing up two different pressings of this 45.

If I read the sales blurb on his homepage right, the white labelled K-CITY 45 of this (which he is selling for $650!) features a slower version and was pressed in 2012 (it has been "sitting on the shelf for 34 years", 1978+34 = 2012).

The black labelled PROMO copies were pressed in 1978.

The promo that I've got is definitely not a 90's or 2010+ pressing.

From the homepage:

"I WANT TO SHARE MY LOVE WITH YOU

This vinyl 45 was never released and only a few promo copies were pressed in 1978. This was the year the new Disco Scene became all the rage, so the K-City Records team decided not to release ”I Want To Share My Love With You.” The song has been sitting on the shelf for 34 years and now some of you lucky fans with your own copies have begun to sell those 45s, because of the music’s exclusivity. The buyer of the slower-tempo arrangement of “I Want To Share My Love With You” 45 vinyl record will receive a complimentary Bio with an autographed photo from the original artist "Mr. Eugene Smiley" of The Essence of Love. This Collector’s Item is in very good condition."

https://www.kcityrecords.com/buy/rare_soul_music_collection_i_want_to_share_my_love_with_you/

Am I missing something here? :g:

attachicon.gifessence of love.jpg  attachicon.gifeugene.jpg

Hi Seb

No your not missing anything. Your right the Black copies were pressed back then and are original and maybe worth £££. It maybe that I owe Pete S an apology, I thought the ones he was talking about then and people have recently paid silly money for are the white label (recent re-presses)

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Hi Seb

No your not missing anything. Your right the Black copies were pressed back then and are original and maybe worth £££. It maybe that I owe Pete S an apology, I thought the ones he was talking about then and people have recently paid silly money for are the white label (recent re-presses)

Dave

Pete had a black labelled copy.

The original black labelled release of "I Want To Share..." must be far rarer than either of the pressings of "It's You Girl". Perhaps not an as good or in-demand tune, but much harder to find.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very true Sebastian and so I do owe Pete an apology.

You don't owe me an apology, it's just a discussion about records I think...much more important things to worry about after my record shed roof blew off last night (see batten down the hatches thread)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You don't owe me an apology, it's just a discussion about records I think...much more important things to worry about after my record shed roof blew off last night (see batten down the hatches thread)

Sure I do Pete, courtesy cost nothing. Now more importantly hope you're saving what you can from the shed.

PS Happy New Year Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!