I Feel Like An Idiot Sometimes

Guest soulboy1965

Guest soulboy1965

having been a Northern Soul fan for the last 25+ years, I'm still astounded by the amount of tunes I'm only just discovering (which to many on here are already a staple diet) and just wondered if the (dare I say it) older/more venerable members are still hearing tunes for the first time?

IE: The Radiants - I'm Glad I'm The Loser (first time I heard it was today and bought from The States instantly!)

If there was shame-faced smilie I'd use it now :wink:

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

Hey Boba - I wouldn't say I've been collecting for 25 years (well, collecting, then selling, then collecting and so on), but still listening to NS since I was a wee nipper of 18 and still BIG TUNES are being revealed. Take Tommy Navarro - I Cried....... completely new to me until maybe 2 months ago!

Sometimes it makes one feel a little inadequate lol

Social source share

having been a Northern Soul fan for the last 25+ years, I'm still astounded by the amount of tunes I'm only just discovering (which to many on here are already a staple diet) and just wondered if the (dare I say it) older/more venerable members are still hearing tunes for the first time?

IE: The Radiants - I'm Glad I'm The Loser (first time I heard it was today and bought from The States instantly!)

Never feel like an idiot mate! just feel blessed! Been collecting a long while and hear new stuff all the time, that's the beauty of this fantastic music we love.

btw if ya aint heard Radiants before, ya gonna love the flip too "Hold On" :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I still hear things new to my ears all the time, and so does everyone I think. One person's newie is another persons oldie. I sold Harvey Averne about three years ago because I thought it was a played out oldie and hadn't heard it anywhere for a long time, suddenly it went massive and people who i'd known on the scene for 30+ years were telling me it was the first time they'd heard it. F**ked up big time with that one :(

No one heard everything first time around, that's what makes it so great to play underplayed and forgotten oldies. I don't sell anything any more... :glare:

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

I've got a single by Maurice & The Radiants - Baby You've Got It (Because The Action covered it) and have no idea if it's the same outfit!!! (see? slightly embarrassed I don't know the answer) :wink:

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

I still hear things new to my ears all the time, and so does everyone I think. One person's newie is another persons oldie. I sold Harvey Averne about three years ago because I thought it was a played out oldie and hadn't heard it anywhere for a long time, suddenly it went massive and people who i'd known on the scene for 30+ years were telling me it was the first time they'd heard it. F**ked up big time with that one :(

No one heard everything first time around, that's what makes it so great to play underplayed and forgotten oldies. I don't sell anything any more... :glare:

OK - that proves a point to some degree............................as I'm now I'm going to have to youtube Harvey Averne :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

Hmmm - Harvey Averne? Never Learned To Dance? Not my bag to be honest - way too 70's and a little urgent, if you know what I mean?

Why had I never heard this one till only recently?

wrong venues? wrong Dj's? confused.com

Social source share

You and Me matey ! I start reading a thread about a massive tune and everyone has an opion / Value/ Shit/Great/Overplayed etc. etc. then have to go youtube to hear them for the first time . That's the beauty of this scene I reckon and trust me I've bought some shite in my time :yes: .

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hmmm - Harvey Averne? Never Learned To Dance? Not my bag to be honest - way too 70's and a little urgent, if you know what I mean?

Why had I never heard this one till only recently?

wrong venues? wrong Dj's? confused.com

Try the other side man it's great regards simon.
Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

You and Me matey ! I start reading a thread about a massive tune and everyone has an opion / Value/ Shit/Great/Overplayed etc. etc. then have to go youtube to hear them for the first time . That's the beauty of this scene I reckon and trust me I've bought some shite in my time :yes: .

Spot on dude lol

Mel Carter - Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me. Hard-earned money parted with expecting The Inspirations :(

Social source share

Guest ritchie

You will never know them all, and that's half the fun.

I have lost count of the of times I have heard what is a new tune to me, but have friends who know the ins and outs of it & vice a versa.

In fact I don't think I've ever been to a nighter / soul night without asking at least half a dozen times "whats this" and that includes oldies nights.

Never an Idiot and if you don't ask you don't learn.. :yes:

What is fun as you say is then going out a tracking a copy down.. :yes:

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

Another perfect example:

Until t'other day I never realised that Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running was a cover version! Now I have Jackie Edwards version, it'll never be the same.

And................that Miss Dee Dee - Magic Carpet Ride (UK Destiny) single? Is it Kiki or what? shamefaced smilie again :huh:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

You're no good?

Better - but a bit Bok to Bach meets Mike Post :wicked:

No NO No No it's Easy come easy go and it's bleeding great regards Simon.
Social source share

Another perfect example:

Until t'other day I never realised that Spencer Davis Group - Keep On Running was a cover version! Now I have Jackie Edwards version, it'll never be the same.

And................that Miss Dee Dee - Magic Carpet Ride (UK Destiny) single? Is it Kiki or what? shamefaced smilie again :huh:

No it's a rubbish cash in cover version with an artist's name similar to the original one.

Social source share

Never feel like an idiot mate! just feel blessed! Been collecting a long while and hear new stuff all the time, that's the beauty of this fantastic music we love.

btw if ya aint heard Radiants before, ya gonna love the flip too "Hold On" :thumbsup:

steve

This is on the other side of the "Hold On" 45? I never knew that because I've never turned it over. See? Who's an idiot now? :wave:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

well bugger me , I bought The Inspirations - Touch Me , Hold Me , Kiss Me thinking it was Mel Carter !!!!!!!!! :wink::lol:

Happy days eh!

I've got a lovely clean copy of Mel if you want it :D

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

This is on the other side of the "Hold On" 45? I never knew that because I've never turned it over. See? Who's an idiot now? :wave:

Now I'm larfing :D

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

No it's a rubbish cash in cover version with an artist's name similar to the original one.

Hey Pete - not a bad cover tho imho - as I've been bedazzled all this time!

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

It's as bad as their covers of Helen Shapiro and John Drevar's Expression!

*assumes idiot posture*

never heard of John Drevar and all I know of Helen is Walkin Back To Happiness :huh:

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

it is the same radiants, from chicago

Thanks Boba - thought that question had been missed!

So here's another numpty one! Is Maurice the same Maurice as in the Zodiacs?

Social source share

Guest kev such

A spanish saying goes " that a man should learn something new everyday".

This saying couldnt be more apt when regarding the soul scene. You'd look more stupid if you said you know everything but on a challenge you dont!!!!!!!!!! As is sometimes the case. Never be ashamed to admit not knowing something or you're hearing something new. If you get The Scene hearing something that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up is quite possibly one of the main reasons we do it.

Regards

Kev ( dont do modern) Such

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

A spanish saying goes " that a man should learn something new everyday".

This saying couldnt be more apt when regarding the soul scene. You'd look more stupid if you said you know everything but on a challenge you dont!!!!!!!!!! As is sometimes the case. Never be ashamed to admit not knowing soemthing or you're hearing something new. If you get The Scene hearing something that makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up is quite possibly one of the main reasons we do it.

Regards

Kev ( dont do modern) Soul

Too true!

However - (modern soul)? I don't do it either, unless you count this............................?????? Sublime (can't dance to it but OMG)

Social source share

Hearing new records to my ears every single day, 60's to current and loving the full soul spectrum. Still asking the "dumb" questions at nights out and not afraid to admit I don't know something when I hear it for 1st, or even 2nd, 3rd time etc. Ref Martine Girault above, remember buying that new when it was much talked about at the time and hundreds more like it. Some great new soul coming out lately too...Keep an open mind all! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I make a point of hearing new soul tunes every day...... its what makes this wonderful music so special......that after all these years you can still, each & every day hear a plethora of new & exciting sounds.......how anyone could be listening to the same tunes, with the exclusion to everything else for all of thier adult life is totally beyond my comprehension.....

Keep on diggin

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

always remember, no one knows them all, no matter how knowledgable they might be.

Too true - a while back I played Nolan Porter's "Oh baby" and a well known character who's been around since the Cats said "Wow! Never heard that before!"

SO as has been said, one mans played-out tune is another mans recent discovery...let's dig deeper into the boxes! :yes:

Social source share

Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about , its nearly 20 years since I got fed up with hearing the same oldies everywhere and started actively seeking out records that I didnt know. First through getting tapes and later cd's off people and later when the internet came along sites such a soulclub. After all this time I still hear new records virtually every week and the thrill is still there.

Looking forward to old age and alzheimers so I can hear the Salvadors and the Tomangos for the first time again :huh::wink:

Social source share

Absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about , its nearly 20 years since I got fed up with hearing the same oldies everywhere and started actively seeking out records that I didnt know. First through getting tapes and later cd's off people and later when the internet came along sites such a soulclub. After all this time I still hear new records virtually every week and the thrill is still there.

Looking forward to old age and alzheimers so I can hear the Salvadors and the Tomangos for the first time again :huh::wink:

Hi Steve

won't play either for you at Rammy in December then!!! :P

Julian

Social source share

I've been collecting R & B/Soul records since 1953, and I keep hearing "newly discovered" songs from my heyday (1953-1969) almost every day. There were hundreds of thousands of songs recorded. Many were never released, many were never pressed up, many were never distributed other than by hand from the producer or artists. There's lots new to discover all the time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!