8 Weeks On

Guest brummiemick

Guest brummiemick

Hi Brummymick, welcome back to the scene, glad you're starting to enjoy 'the journey'.

Might be an idea, once you've put together your first short-list (or more likely long-list) of records you'd like to get into your collection, then put them up on here and I'm sure amongst us we could:

a) give you an idea of likely availability, might help you in terms of prioritising your time; no point in searching high and low for something virtually impossible, diverting attention, possibly missing something more achievable in the process;

b) an idea of price for an original;

c) give you some background as to whether there are any particular bootleg problems with the specific record (there are just so many very good look-a-likes currently being produced, that especially to the inexperienced eye, may make you think you're getting the 'real thing');

d) let you know if they have a copy for sale.

The above may save you some searching time as well as helping you avoid making too many errors with genuine-looking fakes. Hope this helps.

Hi Brian Thanks for the great advice. I have now had a great deal of fantastic advice from the friendly and very knowledgeable people on here that I am sure will be invaluable in the future. Once Christmas is over I intend to start building my short list. I have already realised that some of the records I want are a bit more than I expected so need to listed to more soul to broaden my wants. I only want to buy original vinyl that I actually like as I am not interested in collecting for collectings sake. It doesnt help that I have a memory like a sieve so have to write everything down or I forget the detail!

ATB Mick

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

For anyone wanting original records and not wanting to spend ridiculous amounts on each 45, there is a great topic in all about the soul called Cheap as chips (I think) where every record recommended is under £50. That is the best place to start looking.

You don't have to resort to boots snd reissues for a decent cheap collection.

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

You can't go wrong with Detroit stuff, Ric Tic, Golden World and countless others. Many many of them starting at around a tenner.

Thanks Chalky. Which dealers would you recommend?

By The way have been invited up your way Jan/Feb and hope to come along with some friends from Stourbridge to one of your events - Dudley I think?

Social source share

Guest brummiemick

That's great reading Mick and I remember your mate enjoyed his first nighter at the 100 Club and said he'd be back. Ask the National Sales Manager if she's got any photos of her time as an original mod. What year did she start? Ady

Hi Ady

Have just spoken to Ann, she went to the Flamingo club 65-67 and remembers seeing The Steampacket (Driscoll, Augur, Stewart etc) Georgie Fame, Zoots Money, Chris Farlowe etc. She HAD loads of memorabilia but as she so eloquently put it "her dear old Mum ****** binned it all" much to her lasting regret. She remembers the club getting busted for drugs and having a clipping of the story from the Sunday Pictorial

Yes my mate really enjoyed his first niter and really, really loved the music - said there was loads he had never heard before amd loved the atmosphere.

I am still trying to pluck up the courage to do a niter (dont know if I will last the pace and also need to persuade my wife and maybe Ann & her hubby to do it!) so will probably see you early in the new year - what dates do you have Feb-Mar?

ATB Mick

Edited by brummiemick
Social source share

dont worry about lasting the pace mick...go for however long you want to...only a hardcore last till the end,most...myself included these days normally only last till about 4/5...especially if you like dancin instead af chatting!...get to one soon...kings hall,radcliff,bidds,lifeline,gloucester etc you'll love it!!

dean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

will probably see you early in the new year - what dates do you have Feb-Mar? ATB Mick

The handy thing about the 100 Club nowadays is that it opens at 10 so you can just treat it as a late night out and when you leave you won't get derided like home fans sneaking off after 70 mins when they're 3-0 down. If you can get a cheap nearby hotel, just knowing the bed is in striking distance will give you enough energy to go on later than you thought you could last. We ain't got one in Feb, due to a mix-up on booking dates, it's Jan 28th and March 24th.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

Thanks Chalky. Which dealers would you recommend?

By The way have been invited up your way Jan/Feb and hope to come along with some friends from Stourbridge to one of your events - Dudley I think?

Not mine, that will be the re-issue/2nd issue Chalky. Lifeline is what I'm involved with. You will be more than welcome to come along and leave when you have had enough, there is even comfy chairs upstairs for a snooze.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert