• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Currently listening to

The Paragons - Con Me - Buddah

George Jackson - Macking On You - Chess

Frankie Gearing - Teardrops - P-Vine

Girf

George Jackson "Mackin on you" Any one got a spare of copy of this superb, once heard, must have record.

Alan

Social source share

What's your current or all fave? (MP3's welcome and appreciated)

Currently for me it's Eddie Holman's I'm not gonna give up

Incidentally, I've never really been sure how to define deep soul. I know these genres are fluid and it's all a matter of taste, but any thoughts?

Likewise, never been quite sure of the definition.. still, on the ballady side, loving this one at the moment...

Social source share

George Jackson "Mackin on you" Any one got a spare of copy of this superb, once heard, must have record.

Alan

Should put on my selection. It varies constantly and I can go without it for days on end, but you always come back to the deep stuff.

Louise Freeman "How could you run away" Shout/London 45

James Brown "A man must go back to the crossroads" People 45

Marcelle Strong "Mumble in my ear" Fame 45

Interpretations "Holding you responsible" Date 45

Dee Dee Warwick "Foolish fool" Mercury 45

Social source share

me too rach :thumbsup: ...but wot about the flip of..i aint gonna stop..i'm just an average guy...ooh er suits me..and hearing them sing it live @ northampton just blew me away :good:

cookie beer.gif

Mmm indeed :yes: Going to have to dig that one out now whistling.gif

Social source share

The B-side of the issue copy of George Jackson's "Macking On You" (Chess) is the superb deep soul of "Things Are Getting Better". Maybe GJ's finest moment as a vocalist in deep soul terms.

Regarding the respective merits of Thomas Bailey versus Wilson Pickett: I can't really split them. Bailey's is an amazing tour-de-force of raw singing at its' most breathtaking, but then I play Pickett's original and I think "how can that be bettered?" Faultless deep soul cut at Fame with the best-ever backing crew at the very height of their powers: just a perfect record. The answer is maybe to just enjoy both.

Incidentally, the writer credits on the Thomas Bailey version make no mention of the involvement of George Jackson (as the Pickett one does): a bit cheeky really.

In my experience Eugene Evans on Hollywood is one of the rarest of all soul records on a reasonably large label: a simply phenomenal record which seemingly NEVER turns up for sale. I'd love to be proved wrong (and eventually own one) but I think this is a lot rarer than many of the big northern rarities.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert