Are Dj's Born Or Made

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

Was watching some program that had a 18 year old top dj and producer on it,and it got me wondering how do you break in to the big time? you can go to dj school now and just seen our local apple store is running a free workshop how to make music and how to dj,So did you have training or like me did you just pick it up? mind you my kinda djing and theres are prob miles apart .at the end of the day is djing easy or hard to do , some nights iv gone home so high and others so low when your tunes dont work , what do you think

Social source share

DJing is not easy! Even DJing at a Norther Soul style event, which doesn't rely on any mixing skills, still demands the skill of being able to put together a set properly, as well as all the obvious stuff of making sure you don't play boots! :lol:

Any DJ that is required to mix in any form, including a few of the modern soul/soulful house DJs requires a good ear for pitch and timing, not a skill a lot of people have.

All of It can be learned, from set building to seamless mixing, but I would never describe it as easy!

Social source share

djn is a thankless task, if you dont get it perfect there will be some miserable scroat with something to maon about and if you get it right then you know some miserable scroat wont be happy, are they born :huh: yep, djn is like the football league, premiership djs and djs that should just stick to being spectators :D fair play to anyone that gives it a go though :hatsoff2:

Social source share

As with any form of entertainment you're born with the ability. It's not something you can learn. You have to have that burning ember of passion that spills out of you. You have no control over it and your only journey is that of entertaining. Hopefully to appreciative crowds that share your passion. Unlike the listeners, your passion has spilled over so much that you have to place yourself on the 'stage' and reel others in to the heady brilliance of your shared love of same. Thank the lord for entertainers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Like Winston Churchill said" You can satisfy some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" DJ ing piece of piss :D Ask my mate Skip

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

djn is a thankless task, if you dont get it perfect there will be some miserable scroat with something to maon about and if you get it right then you know some miserable scroat wont be happy, are they born :huh: yep, djn is like the football league, premiership djs and djs that should just stick to being spectators :D fair play to anyone that gives it a go though :hatsoff2:

getting it right or wrong...has nowt to do with it...........when a dj agrees to play at a venue he/she should do their f**king homework on that venue......how many do? not many in my opinion most go along with the "i,ll play what l like and if they don,t like it bo88ox"....well not good enough matey. If someone does try at a venue to at least play that venues vibe and it don,t quite come off full marks say l at least they genuinely tried.....dj,s should know what THEY like (music wise) and only dj where their taste and the venues taste are roughly the same.......because if ya don,t you upset the club attendees and you get THE WALK OF SHAME for your arrogance and deservedly so.....dj,s should remember if you don,t attend a venue JUST SAY NO.......not one person l know would complain about a person who properly tries.......it,s the arrogant ones that infuriate us all

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

As with any form of entertainment you're born with the ability. It's not something you can learn. You have to have that burning ember of passion that spills out of you. You have no control over it and your only journey is that of entertaining. Hopefully to appreciative crowds that share your passion. Unlike the listeners, your passion has spilled over so much that you have to place yourself on the 'stage' and reel others in to the heady brilliance of your shared love of same. Thank the lord for entertainers.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Social source share

A very romantic view... but Bollox all the same :lol::P

Social source share

the term dj is a bit vivid nowadays.

we used to down tools to simon bates our tune on the building site

i used to laugh at chris evans on and off radio

and i used to be in awe of dj sasha's mixing skills

but now i'm just bothered about whats in the box.

a northern soul dj dosn't need to make me laugh or be in awe, but if the music brings a tear to my eye, its a bonus!

Social source share

getting it right or wrong...has nowt to do with it...........when a dj agrees to play at a venue he/she should do their f**king homework on that venue......how many do? not many in my opinion most go along with the "i,ll play what l like and if they don,t like it bo88ox"....well not good enough matey. If someone does try at a venue to at least play that venues vibe and it don,t quite come off full marks say l at least they genuinely tried.....dj,s should know what THEY like (music wise) and only dj where their taste and the venues taste are roughly the same.......because if ya don,t you upset the club attendees and you get THE WALK OF SHAME for your arrogance and deservedly so.....dj,s should remember if you don,t attend a venue JUST SAY NO.......not one person l know would complain about a person who properly tries.......it,s the arrogant ones that infuriate us all

The promoter books the right dj's for his venue..his crowd..therefore the buck stops with him!

Football managers pick the team ,if It goes tits up ,its him who takes the flak .

• Helpful 2
Social source share

What's your view?

DJing can be learned - has to be to a point, I take it we're taling about DJing in general, and not just having the ability to work out a good playlist/set for a soul night?

I did say earlier in the thread that you do have to have an ear for music, pitch & timing, but there's a LOT of work involved in the dance scene as far as DJ's are concerned, and I can tell you now, all the big name DJ's still practice frequently, they have to, to keep on top of their game.

"Unlike the listeners, your passion has spilled over so much that you have to place yourself on the 'stage' and reel others in to the heady brilliance of your shared love of same"

Give me a break!

They do all love the music, well most of them, but a large proportion use it as a way of making money, it's something they've learned to do, and are good at, and you can earn bloody good wages, then the producing/remixing side brings in even more. You can't say a DJ has more passion than the people who listen to the music, he's got a skill a lot of them haven't, and has probably had some lucky breaks, or even like some northern DJ's - simply has more money and therefore more opportunities than some of the passionless listeners.

Edited by MrC
Social source share

DJing can be learned - has to be to a point, I take it we're taling about DJing in general, and not just having the ability to work out a good playlist/set for a soul night?

I did say earlier in the thread that you do have to have an ear for music, pitch & timing, but there's a LOT of work involved in the dance scene as far as DJ's are concerned, and I can tell you now, all the big name DJ's still practice frequently, they have to, to keep on top of their game.

"Unlike the listeners, your passion has spilled over so much that you have to place yourself on the 'stage' and reel others in to the heady brilliance of your shared love of same"

Give me a break!

See your point, however you do need passion for the music your playing and I do agree you need to practice a lot and do your homework.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I thought everyone on the northern scene was a dj .It makes no differance what you play if the crowd don't like you they wont dance .Regards S.

Social source share

I thought everyone on the northern scene was a dj .It makes no differance what you play if the crowd don't like you they wont dance .Regards S.

That certainly has the ring of truth about it, BUT, I thought everyone loved everyone else on the Northern scene! :wink::P

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

That certainly has the ring of truth about it, BUT, I thought everyone loved everyone else on the Northern scene! :wink::P

possibly from a sexual angle !! but I heared a conversation once at Hugglescote soul night where a nucleus of "soulies " were dicussing a dj and I heared them say that they "hated that bas.....d and some one ought to have a word with the promotors about him being on if he was on again they wern't coming back yack yack yack " I asked them why they didn't like Him and they replied "we just don't like him and there was no way they were going to dance to his spot regardless of what he played" That guy did a fantastic oldies spot there was nothing at all contriversial about any of his tunes .He sold up about a year later and I still see Him at modern night's I don't think He knew about the dreadful feeling's they had about Him .A few weeks later I was at another east mids event when I was discusing this guy and a couple of people said they wouldn't go to a night where He was on because "everyone say's He's crap " So there you are .Regards Simon.

Edited by sharmo 1
Social source share

possibly from a sexual angle !! but I heared a conversation once at Hugglescote soul night where a nucleus of "soulies " were dicussing a dj and I heared them say that they "hated that bas.....d and some one ought to have a word with the promotors about him being on if he was on again they wern't coming back yack yack yack " I asked them why they didn't like Him and they replied "we just don't like him and there was no way they were going to dance to his spot regardless of what he played" That guy did a fantastic oldies spot there was nothing at all contriversial about any of his tunes .He sold up about a year later and I still see Him at modern night's I don't think He knew about the dreadful feeling's they had about Him .A few weeks later I was at another east mids event when I was discusing this guy and a couple of people said they wouldn't go to a night where He was on because "everyone say's He's crap " So there you are .Regards Simon.

I certainly wasn't disbelieving of your post Simon, i've heard the same things said myself, and god knows enough of those kind of things get said often enough on the various threads on here!

I was just trying to be a bit sarcastic/ironic about the Brotherly Love and mutual admiration societies that seem to abound in the scene - obviously I failed miserably! :lol:

Social source share

don't think i'm that keen on him either!...lol

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I certainly wasn't disbelieving of your post Simon, i've heard the same things said myself, and god knows enough of those kind of things get said often enough on the various threads on here!

I was just trying to be a bit sarcastic/ironic about the Brotherly Love and mutual admiration societies that seem to abound in the scene - obviously I failed miserably! :lol:

Sometimes when someone reads something it can be read from different angles as there is no emotional sound so as someone reads this it's emotionly cold and sterile so it's easy to get the wrong end of the stick .Sir your ironic sarcasm did not fail but defernatly hit the spot ....well said sir .Regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

don't think i'm that keen on him either!...lol

No I never did like Him I'm alway's suspicious of a guy that sit's down for a wee .Regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

The promoter books the right dj's for his venue..his crowd..therefore the buck stops with him!

Football managers pick the team ,if It goes tits up ,its him who takes the flak .

that maybe true.........but if you don,t play their music don,t accept that booking.....because most dj,s who get it horribly wrong ALWAYS blame the punters.......one other matter you,ve forgotten......are the people who go to venues and pester the promoter for a spot......this does happen!! big style and they either get the arse if they are not given a spot for the reasons mentioned in my original post or just don,t go back.....for the love of christ why can,t some of em reason that what they like ain,t played at this venue and take the knock back with good grace....yet to see that happen

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

No I never did like Him I'm alway's suspicious of a guy that sit's down for a wee .Regards Simon.

I had no idea God was DJing on the scene. :ohmy: Is it just oldies He plays?

Social source share

that maybe true.........but if you don,t play their music don,t accept that booking.....because most dj,s who get it horribly wrong ALWAYS blame the punters.......one other matter you,ve forgotten......are the people who go to venues and pester the promoter for a spot......this does happen!! big style and they either get the arse if they are not given a spot for the reasons mentioned in my original post or just don,t go back.....for the love of christ why can,t some of em reason that what they like ain,t played at this venue and take the knock back with good grace....yet to see that happen

Bit of both then eh......just seems to me a lot of people only too ready to jump down the throat of dj's these days.

And back on track ....there aint many people on the soul scene by the true definition of the words " disc jockey "

Mostly people who spend a lot of hard earned spare cash on records and wanna share em with like minded people ,and usually for a very small fee that does'nt cover the cost of travel ,let alone the money to fund a record.

Professional dj's by definition are usually trained at broadcasting school ...if we are talkin the likes of Chris Tarrant etc ...then theres the likes of Norman Cooke /Carl Cox ..etc who imho are the real true talented guys and maybe could fall into the category of "born talent".

Lastly ...most dj's i've heard on the soul scene who are good with a mic ...are usually so cos they have mediocre records ,but hats off to all who have a go ..it's a 1hr buzz followed quickly by a sudden anti -climax :thumbsup:

Social source share

moving it on slightly do records make the man or does the man make the records ?

sometime one sometimes the other but sometimes they both compliment each other and come together in perfect flow and presentation imho :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

moving it on slightly do records make the man or does the man make the records ?

I think that's a more interesting question. I don't think all the money in the world or the biggest record collection can guarantee a good set without an ear for putting the records together. I'd like to think everyone's playboxes are a reflection of their taste and ear for a good tune or set of tunes that work together. So... the man makes the set.

Social source share

Like Winston Churchill said" You can satisfy some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time" DJ ing piece of piss :D Ask my mate Skip

It wasn't Churchill, although he may have borrowed the phrase - and it would sound good coming from him. The original quote apparently came out of the mouth of Abraham Lincoln, and he was supposed to have said:

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time."

Not only is that the same for DJ's, but it's also the same for life. :yes:

Social source share

Lastly ...most dj's i've heard on the soul scene who are good with a mic ...are usually so cos they have mediocre records ,but hats off to all who have a go ..it's a 1hr buzz followed quickly by a sudden anti -climax :thumbsup:

Does this mean a DJ with better records but useless with a mic would automatically become proficient with a mic if he sold his collection? Or if a DJ with mediocre records and good with a mic would suddenly become useless with a mic when he/she improves their playbox? Because that's how it reads,

How on earth can someone be good with a mic BECAUSE they have mediocre records?

Edited by Pete60
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!