A Laser Turntable Without A Needle

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Note: You are responsible for the shipping cost from Japan, as well as the Import Duty and Sales Tax in your country.

On top of the £11000 purchase price....

Social source share

they tried launching these a few years back but the price & temperamentality of it all never caught on. Hopefully these guys have sorted a way to make them cheaper & better........

8k for the old model :lol: looks better than the new model though.

Social source share

Hello

I thought about buying one quite a few years ago but the price was very high and the technology was still quite new so I wasn't confident.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used one to see if the advantages are significantly better than what can be achieved by using quality analogue combined with high-end digital audio processing.

Some of the developments with audio processing have improved a lot since I was thinking about buying a laser turntable ...and I'm confident more exciting tools are in development.

Paul

Social source share

I wonder if it can deal with the warped and off centred vinyl examples?

Hello,

Nothing automatic can really deal accurately with those problems because the pitch variations (wow and flutter etc) are irregular - the size of each revolution obviously becomes smaller as the stylus tracks through the groove.

Even pitch variations from analogue tape are irregular to a degree because of additional problems such as tape stretching, allignment, transport etc.

There is sophisticated software which can detect and correct innacurate pitch variations but it isn't always acurate, especially in pre-set modes, and it needs to be manually tweeked by the operator so a degree of musical ability is also required.

The strange thing is that we have grown up hearing music which is very often impaired by one thing or another. We are used to music not being in perfect pitch or suffering from wild pitch variations etc.

Look at how many club DJs play an off-centre record and also increase the tempo by a few percent to make things even worse. Most listeners either don't notice or don't care but a skilled musician or engineer would be horrified!

Back to the basics of your question... excessively warped records are a problem but off-centre records can at least be adjusted by modifying adapters with enlarged or repositioned centre holes and lining records up to reduce the sway.

Social source share

would like to think the price would come down to a more affordable level but like some of you heard about this years ago so not too confident in getting one!...

infact the first person to tell me about this was a reggae dealer who would travel to jamaica buy up sound system collections and sell to very wealthy japenese and that was back in about '93!! ...before recently hearing about it on here a couple of times i'd started to think it was one of those memories that im not sure happened at all!! :g:

dean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert