The Scene

Kev John

Hi Moldie, hope your well bud :thumbsup:

If you read my post properly i did say there was a few scattered about in my now localish area ...Pilsley being the best ......but i didn`t want to go naming names and slagging some off so i thought i would not name any at all ....but you of all people know my taste in music and how ive tried lots & lots of new venues over the last couple of years .....but still come away dissapointed :(maybe its me :wicked:

Regards

Julie x

it is lolol

moldie x

you remind me of lou johnson..unsatisfied

Social source share

Hi Moldie, hope your well bud :thumbsup:

If you read my post properly i did say there was a few scattered about in my now localish area ...Pilsley being the best ......but i didn`t want to go naming names and slagging some off so i thought i would not name any at all ....but you of all people know my taste in music and how ive tried lots & lots of new venues over the last couple of years .....but still come away dissapointed :( maybe its me :wicked:

Regards

Julie x

It is you. :wave::lol:

Funky,R&B,House,N,Soul.Kev :shhh:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi ,could you clarify ATB please.Does it mean a total mix of genres and era's,regardless of any history attached to the "scene".?

Or,across a particular genre..ie: r'n'b from 50's to late 60's,different tempo's etc.?

Kev.(representing the positive Kev's).

hi

the atb policy does means a total mix of genres from late 5ts to present day without history or price tag

tunes.tempo's can vary a good dj do this but don.'t drop the tempo's to sharp also blend the tunes together not as i call it bangin .tunes together

you have a good idea of wot atb .

from the diff genre

there a lot of forgotten tunes still out there & to be reactavated & in dj collections.

Social source share

hi

the atb policy does means a total mix of genres from late 5ts to present day without history or price tag

tunes.tempo's can vary a good dj do this but don.'t drop the tempo's to sharp also blend the tunes together not as i call it bangin .tunes together

you have a good idea of wot atb .

from the diff genre

there a lot of forgotten tunes still out there & to be reactavated & in dj collections.

Hi Kev, why not try to put a do on yourself :thumbsup: I`d certainly come and have a quizzy at it :thumbsup:

Regards

Julie :D

Social source share

Hi Kev, why not try to put a do on yourself :thumbsup: I`d certainly come and have a quizzy at it :thumbsup:

Regards

good idea julie.....only ppl called kev allowed to dj

atb moldie

Social source share

I Have found one aspect of this thread quite amazing, if not totally unbelieveably,

NO NOT the fact that some people are championing more across the board venus.

What has totally shocked me is that "LIGHTWATERSOUL" has made 6/7 posts, so far, and has managed

to refrain from adding a link to E-BAY,GEMM or other obvious record sources like he does in WANTS all day long.

Perhaps he cant find a suitable Across the board compilation to "recommend".

Kegsy

• Helpful 3
Social source share

seems quite complex when you analise the whole thing we call our scene, pre 73 you had soul . 73 onwards northern soul ,77 birth of the oldie, 78 to 84 atb scene incorporating the closure of wigan and the demise of ns as it was understood, 84 to 90 the birth of new genres to confuse all ! ( sixties newies )to name but one , then the modern scene , popcorn, r,n,b , latin and funky northern and ive probably missed other catagories . so with all this variety its inevitable to lead to a divided following ..doesnt stop me lovin it though!! best regards diddy :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I Have found one aspect of this thread quite amazing, if not totally unbelieveably,

What has totally shocked me is that "LIGHTWATERSOUL" has made 6/7 posts, so far, and has managed

to refrain from adding a link to E-BAY,GEMM or other obvious record sources like he does in WANTS all day long.

Kegsy

Brilliant :lol::lol:

Social source share

Kegsy

now then now then now then kegsy.......i have several pilsley cds in my hand that are the perfect compilation...unfortunately none are available on gemm,ebay,netsounds or musicstack

regards moldie...a true GEMM

Brilliant :lol::lol:

i knew you wolud like that post miss moore

moldie x

Social source share

Not been to bed yet Moldie,so bear with me.Surely if a dj tries too hard to cram in too many genres as you describe all in one set,it can get a bit disjointed for the dancefloor?

Yes it does. :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

whats age or being british got to do with it...im over 40 and british and like to hear bits of everything

moldie

Have to say in agreement with this....what has being non-british and under 40 got to do with it?....All of us over 50 better go and jump off of Cleethorpes Pier in the dark then and leave it to the spanish and the Germans to hold the Torch for rare/Northern Soul..Bollocks to that attitude...Off to Barcelona myself for second year running in December, it's a good do, but no better than some I have been to here and not a patch on the 100 Club on it's best nights...Strange attitude.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

depends which venue you are at rich....some have ppl attending that will dance to any genre if the tune is of good quality

atb moldie

Perhaps they have MOLDIE, but it just takes us back to the same old argument that has been done so many times here under different headings...There are also people who genuinely do not like Latin records or even some of the funkier stuff...(Latin leaves me dead, some of the funkkier stuff is ok) and I cannot abide early 60s R'N'B...Personally I would love to hear a lot more 70s LP tracks played because their are just so many brilliant Soul tunes neglected simply because they are not on 45s... The same goes for the Motown album catalogue, so many great tunes never played...I'd rather hear sets like that than Latin records but that's just my own taste...What I don't like is how people try and condemn you for not liking genres which to my ears are nothing to do with the Northern/Rare Soul scene and personally I count Latin and early 60s R'N'B as totally different genres...If that makes me a heretic for not welcoming those genres in alongside Detroit, Chicago and Philly Soul records I can live with that! Sure it won't make any difference to anybody determined to create a scene which is simply an alternative 'Rainbow Dance scene' for over 40s...Because that is where this theory is slowly taking us... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

I've found that nights advertised with an ATB policy generally have a music bias. An ATB night with a Northern bias will throw in a few modern tracks, and a modern / crossover biased night might play the odd 60's tune. All promotions that offer a fresher music policy, whether they are Northern or Modern nights, generally mix in some classics, and tunes you know and love, they have to, but they're also very far from ATB.

There's really no such thing as ATB, not in the UK at any rate, the maturity of the scene has diversified far and wide, so on the upside there's plenty of choice, though on the downside, there's many a night that runs the risk of lower attendance because the music policy is aimed at the thinner end of demand. Most will pay their admission knowing what they're in for, based on the DJs on the night and the promoter's music policy.

The nearest thing available to ATB are multi-room promotions where different styles can be played to different crowds, some of whom may wander between rooms to get their ATB mix. If you're looking for ATB in a single room promotion then expect to be disappointed because in the UK that scene has long gone.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Interesting post from Wrongcrowd...

Yes it does need the multi room to get a wide range of sounds played it seems..

Thats what we started a new event for, in a hope to get a lot of freinds back together who have gone there different ways to get whatever their fix of soul is... To play say 60s RnB and modern soul in the same room is a non starter for the vast majority, some folk have a broad taste but not enough it seems to have a true across the board music policy...

Different strokes, our club night this Saturday will play RnB, 60s rhythm and soul,jamaican soul, rare 60s Northern, crossover, 70s and Deep funk in 2 rooms, not a true across the board as its missing out the modern side but it shows how difficult it is to please everyone as our tastes are many over the 50 years of black music.. Another time we will drop the RnB and replace that with modern as well in coming months to try and get the whole spectrum of sounds and try and bring some unity but again that will in the same building but in different rooms as some styles just don't mix.. A challenge indeed but if you don't try you don't get...

A Frankenstein soul experiment :D , we will let you know how it goes in the coming months..

Good topic...

Social source share

Perhaps they have MOLDIE, but it just takes us back to the same old argument that has been done so many times here under different headings...There are also people who genuinely do not like Latin records or even some of the funkier stuff...(Latin leaves me dead, some of the funkkier stuff is ok) and I cannot abide early 60s R'N'B...Personally I would love to hear a lot more 70s LP tracks played because their are just so many brilliant Soul tunes neglected simply because they are not on 45s... The same goes for the Motown album catalogue, so many great tunes never played...I'd rather hear sets like that than Latin records but that's just my own taste...What I don't like is how people try and condemn you for not liking genres which to my ears are nothing to do with the Northern/Rare Soul scene and personally I count Latin and early 60s R'N'B as totally different genres...If that makes me a heretic for not welcoming those genres in alongside Detroit, Chicago and Philly Soul records I can live with that! Sure it won't make any difference to anybody determined to create a scene which is simply an alternative 'Rainbow Dance scene' for over 40s...Because that is where this theory is slowly taking us... :hatsoff2:

At the ATB nights ive attended if there is something i dont really like I pop out for a ciggie or go to the loo I don`t just sit and moan about what they are playing :no: Went to one recently the crowd was whinging there was too much modern being played so the dj`s changed tempo back to banging Oldies :huh: the people who were whinging still didn`t get up and dance, can`t understand it myself :g:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

ATB.....only works really at soul nights because it falls in the easy listening/sing something simple catagory........it,s a bit like diet coke to real coke......pint of london pride to non alcoholic ....or boxing to shadow boxing.......behond soul nights my thought is you have to have a policy AND STICK TO IT.....atb something and nothing.........

Social source share

ATB.....only works really at soul nights because it falls in the easy listening/sing something simple catagory........it,s a bit like diet coke to real coke......pint of london pride to non alcoholic ....or boxing to shadow boxing.......behond soul nights my thought is you have to have a policy AND STICK TO IT.....atb something and nothing.........

What a load of tosh :glare: but like you say its your opinion :yes:

Regards

Social source share

At the ATB nights ive attended if there is something i dont really like I pop out for a ciggie or go to the loo I don`t just sit and moan about what they are playing :no: Went to one recently the crowd was whinging there was too much modern being played so the dj`s changed tempo back to banging Oldies :huh: the people who were whinging still didn`t get up and dance, can`t understand it myself :g:

JULIE, i am afraid that the scene has been going so long now and so many musical boundaries have been explored and so many different styles welded on, that it is just simply impossible for people to like everything now...Once it was whether you 'liked' a particular record or not - I mean back in the days when 'northern Soul' was pretty easily defined as 60s and 70s mid to uptempo American Soul records...Now that has widened to whether you are going to 'like' a whole range of other stylistic genres and the more inclusive the scene gets musically, the more likely there will be splinterings of affections for different styles, it's just logic...I am the first to admit that style-wise, my taste is probably rather narrow, I still like to hear that definition of records above, I like to hear new records, I like to hear underplayed records, I still believe that there are hundreds of fantastic cheapos which are underplayed too and as mentioned before my big gripe is Soul Album tracks... There is a whole world of Soul Music that our scene has neglected (I mean publicly at do's) simply because it exists on 12 inch 33 rpm vinyl rather than 45's and perhaps collecting and ego has a lot to do with that...But I like to hear Soul, I have never been into R'N'B and whilst I went to Funk clubs and have a fair batch of funk records, my affection for Soul vastly outweighs that aspect...If I wanted to hear Latin, which I do not, I would go to a Latin club...I love Jamaican reggae and Rocksteady but I don't want to hear it at a Soul do...If I want Jamaican music, I go to a Jamaican/West Indian Club which I have also been doing for most of my life, I just do not understand why there is this seemingly relentless urge to turn the Northern/rare soul scene into a Musical Rainbow....But if I am a dinosaur in wanting to hear Soul Music at a Soul event then I can live with it!..... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Totally agree mate

It's something Burnley should remember for next time.

Modern soul events (weekenders and places like 'just soul') do not compromise their policy and why the hell should they!!

I go to these events to hear quality Modern soul.

I was a regular on a friday night at Burnley to hear quality 60's uptempo R&B and nothing else. That was the Burnley policy and I believe it should broadly stick to that policy to this day.

All things for all people doesn't work in my opinion, a club has to have an identity and a clear direction.

IMHO of course

Social source share

Totally agree mate

It's something Burnley should remember for next time.

Modern soul events (weekenders and places like 'just soul') do not compromise their policy and why the hell should they!!

I go to these events to hear quality Modern soul.

I was a regular on a friday night at Burnley to hear quality 60's uptempo R&B and nothing else. That was the Burnley policy and I believe it should broadly stick to that policy to this day.

All things for all people doesn't work in my opinion, a club has to have an identity and a clear direction.

IMHO of course

Respect your opinion Dekka.But really Burnley shouldn't be brought into an ATB thread.

Not missed hardly any Burnley's,but the policy seems to be uptempo rnb + NS + quality 70's.Gritty,hard,funky call it that,or what you like.

The night you're talking about was "one foot off the path",and agree not to everyone's taste all night.But we're talking possibly 3/4 records back to back in a set.Not the first time this has happened at Burnley,i'm guessing won't be the last.

Like i said to you in lookbacks Dekka,majority was 60's,not the end of the world mate. :thumbsup:

Sorry for going off topic.

Social source share

Respect your opinion Dekka.But really Burnley shouldn't be brought into an ATB thread.

Not missed hardly any Burnley's,but the policy seems to be uptempo rnb + NS + quality 70's.Gritty,hard,funky call it that,or what you like.

The night you're talking about was "one foot off the path",and agree not to everyone's taste all night.But we're talking possibly 3/4 records back to back in a set.Not the first time this has happened at Burnley,i'm guessing won't be the last.

Like i said to you in lookbacks Dekka,majority was 60's,not the end of the world mate. :thumbsup:

Sorry for going off topic.

Hi Mate

No offence taken.

I was just giving examples (Burnley & just Soul) purely to express my views, that i believe club's should have a distinct policy and stick to it

Cheers kev, hope to see you soon mate :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

likely to have no hangs up or scene baggage was my gist of suggestion

Oh....Well, we'd better exlude every British member over 30 of this site then for a start, every Promoter, every British DJ and every British punter who has been going for longer than 2 years...There you go, now you have 'ethnically cleansed' the Soul scene you can hand it over to Spaniards and Germans etc aged between, what shall we say 35-45? What and suddenly everything would be rosy and harmonious in the garden? Of course in 10 years time they'll be aged between 45 and 55 and a lot of them will have been going for 20-25 years... They won't have any 'hang up's' or 'scene baggage' though, will they, no that is a British disease... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What a load of tosh :glare: but like you say its your opinion :yes:

Regards

seems it,s not just my opinion,although l never said it was it,s just the way it is............thats why most soul nights (not all, but only a tiny few) are nothing more than insipid like a cheap bottle of plonk :yes::wink:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to spend their evening out, moaning about what's wrong with the venue / promoter / music / DJs / carpet / dancefloor / toilets / bar prices / stairs / chrome fixtures and fittings etc etc etc....life's far too short.

I don't even understand why anyone would want to come on here the next day or so and spend time moaning about any of the above.

Surely the time for all that, is the journey home from the said event in the car.

What is wrong with you fcukers!

:lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I honestly don't understand why anyone would want to spend their evening out, moaning about what's wrong with the venue / promoter / music / DJs / carpet / dancefloor / toilets / bar prices / stairs / chrome fixtures and fittings etc etc etc....life's far too short.

I don't even understand why anyone would want to come on here the next day or so and spend time moaning about any of the above.

Surely the time for all that, is the journey home from the said event in the car.

Well now you mention toilets...... :lol:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

At least yours is a proper do.......none of this newly french polished mongolian maple 4 acre dance floor or a load of hand made wesley barrell, connolly leather hand stiched f**kin sofas surrounded by original victorian balconies that remind ya of wigin...topped off with cheap hotels so everyone can clear off at 1'O,Clock :lol: :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Well now you mention toilets...... :lol:

Well, it was either pay the electricity bill or upgrade the toilets at Bidds....and they deffo needed the power to keep the new fruit machine running.

Funnily enough I noticed the Gents toilets had been repainted at Lifeline on saturday..... maybe they were faced with a similar choice, so the toilets got the funds and Mick H was asked to hop on a treadmill wired to a dynamo......Mick obviously couldn't resist taking the odd breather during Butchs set :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

"The Scene" Obviously means lots different things to lots different people.

Personally, having pretty quickly "found" what I want from it (thanks to some relatively new mates who know who they are), I'm having the best year ever, musically & socially.

Looks like (most) other people are pretty happy too, at events I now go to regularly and new ones I'm still trying.

Trick or treat?...

...Treat for me each weekend at the moment, and pretty sure it'll be that way going forwards too. I hope so anyway.

Steve

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Not the tailor mades like Tribute.tribute to betty &smile

Bit suprised with these two records being classed as tailor mades, neither were produced for the Northern Soul scene, just adopted.

Social source share

Used to be a nighter called the Oddfellows (You may remember it!!)

Brian Rae (oldies)

Dave Evison (oldies)

Gary Rushbrooke (Rare Underplayed)

Tony Clayton ( Mixture of rare and shit)

Adam (70's Classics and current new releases)

Keb Darge (Unknown C/U's 6T's Newies

Ally Mayor ( Mixture of all of the above)

+ one Guest each month - Alan Walls - Robin Salter - Keith Minshall - Chris King - Rob Smith etc....

How's that for a mixture of our music under one roof?

The main point though being it was ALL "Northern Soul"

This line up was not a one off it was THE line up (resident DJ's) just before the 2nd anniversary until it's closer.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

heard a great quote on saturday,

' there's loads of peolpe saying they want to hear something new, trouble is they only want to hear thenselves play it, anyone else is sh*te'.

and that for me is oh so true in many cases and the thing i sometimes find very strange when a dj is having a ball behind the decks then when there spot is finished couldnt give other djs sets the time of day :huh:

and as for accross the board nights frusty2.gif

Social source share

The nearest thing available to ATB are multi-room promotions where different styles can be played to different crowds, some of whom may wander between rooms to get their ATB mix.

From my limited experiences one of the best examples of this would be Soul-Fusion in Gloucestershire.

Social source share

and that for me is oh so true in many cases and the thing i sometimes find very strange when a dj is having a ball behind the decks then when there spot is finished couldnt give other djs sets the time of day :huh:

and as for accross the board nights frusty2.gif

Bit suprised with these two records being classed as tailor mades, neither were produced for the Northern Soul scene, just adopted.

True words indeed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!