The Originals / Freddie Gorman - (Artist Of The Week)

boba

I always loved "baby I'm for real" and "the bells" but I totally slept on a bunch of originals tracks. Some are so great! I knew about and liked "good loving is just a dime away" but I just got a stock copy with this on the flip, so awesome:

also, about a year ago I discovered "ooh you (put a crush on me)" also awesome:

any other great tracks I'm missing by the Originals? By the way, the suspension group is not related. Thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have the green LP (Baby I'm For Real?) & quite like it. I think the only 45 I've kept is "I Like Your Style"/"We Can Make It Baby".

yeah, the green lp is baby i'm for real. i do know and like "I like your style" but it has more of a generic motown sound so it's not as good as the later 70s ones to me. I do really like "we can make it baby" but it's not as good a ballad as the bells or baby i'm for real.

Social source share

yeah, the green lp is baby i'm for real. i do know and like "I like your style" but it has more of a generic motown sound so it's not as good as the later 70s ones to me. I do really like "we can make it baby" but it's not as good a ballad as the bells or baby i'm for real.

I just listened to "we can make it baby" and listening now it definitely is different than the other two ballads I mention, it has shades of early 70s Marvin Gaye in the sound

Social source share

Their original of "Just To Keep You Satisfied" on the extended re-issue of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" is absolutely sensational. It's also on the 2008 compilation "Complete Motown Singles Volume 10", despite it being un-released as a 45 to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong about that I'd be glad to be corrected.

Social source share

Their original of "Just To Keep You Satisfied" on the extended re-issue of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" is absolutely sensational. It's also on the 2008 compilation "Complete Motown Singles Volume 10", despite it being un-released as a 45 to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong about that I'd be glad to be corrected.

I didn't know these two tracks. the originals version is nice but also has that early 70s marvin gaye sound. it sounds like a grower that I have to listen to multiple times though. The monitors version is excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0E9xUFpi08

Social source share

Great group, Freddie Gorman is one of my favorite voices

Really love the whole Definitions LP well worth picking up. Lie No 2 is the track for me, brilliant just brilliant!

Social source share

More soulful than Northern, and on the funky side.

post-5677-0-76545600-1320094203_thumb.jp

S35112 was the number previously allocated to Edwin Starr " Aint It Hell Up In Harlem" which got a release on M1284

post-5677-0-01161000-1320094224_thumb.jp

Don't think this got a release due to name copy with the TV character hitting the screen

post-5677-0-30531500-1320094244_thumb.jp

post-5677-0-84023900-1320094263_thumb.jp

Edited by Dean
Social source share

i,m sure i read somewhere that marvin gaye produced the originals. thanks for the songs, just bought a record by the originals, because of listening to these songs

Read somewhere that they were his favourite group at Motown, I think he used C.P. Spencer as backing on the "Lets get it on" set, For those who love "The Bells" flip it over to the ultra soulful "I,ll Wait For You", there is the extended intro take of the same song on the "Portrait" set which is also wonderful. Great group.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert