Mckinnley Mitchell "gypsy"

Jim G

So I guess I got lucky, bought McKINNLEY MITCHELL "Gypsy" from JM on hte Drop Down auction for £13, (JM still had one in stock for £25 now sold)

And then one Ebay this week one sold for £151.12 :

https://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2006wt_1037

Did JM get the price right or boy was I lucky?

I am not bragging or trying to say JM was wrong, just fascinated and I am not dealer or DJ

Edited by jim g
Social source share

jm got the price right and u also had a decent deal in my opinion,great tune but that e bay price is ridiculous,think i paid about £15 for mine a few years ago im pretty sure u can get one for about that now,well you can cos jm got it for sale for £25 you say ! i dont normally comment on e bay threads but its just getting ridiculous on there these days

jason

Social source share

what's weird about the ebay auction is that there isn't just 2 bidders at $200, there are 3. so someone wants this record.

this was the first mckinley mitchell 45 I ever had, I have a soft spot for "this place ain't getting no better" because I bought it early in my 45 collecting days.

Social source share

jm got the price right and u also had a decent deal in my opinion,great tune but that e bay price is ridiculous,think i paid about £15 for mine a few years ago im pretty sure u can get one for about that now,well you can cos jm got it for sale for £25 you say ! i dont normally comment on e bay threads but its just getting ridiculous on there these days

jason

Agree that Ebay price was untrue! £151????

Talking bout the record tho! What about the flipside "This Place Ain't Getting No Better"... Sublime!!

steve

Social source share

Well i've had one on me site for a while at the extortionate price of £40 :(

No wonder it hasn't sold if Mr M is selling it at a measley £25 :wink:

T'other side is the one for me AWESOME!!!

Steve

Steve,

We like you so much, we've just raised the price on our last copy - to £50 - so good and where do we replace it from?

Social source share

I think recent renewal of interest in this record comes via the scootering scene picking up on Gypsy: I've sen it feature on a few internet playlists from that quarter. Fair play to them, as this deserves to be an anthem somewhere: smooth verses, that tremendous uptempo break and committed singing from our man.

As everyone says above This Place Ain't Getting No Better is simply one of the best records of its kind. I really can't think of many better Windy City ballads from that era.

What price this 45 if it were scarce?

Social source share

Bob & Steve, couldn't agree more . "This Place Aint Getting No Better" is one of the GREATEST records in the history of the universe!

Sean

Likewise for me - this side was the reason I bought it, and I thought I was late picking up on it then... well over 15 years back!

Mind you, around a year ago I heard something played somewhere that I didn't recognise and it sounded interesting, when I asked what it was it turned out to be.... Gypsy!

Did I feel embarrased when I said I'd already got it :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

ha ha not played the flip, sounds brilliant....must admit thought about playing "gypsy" out tons of times.....great song..

big spin in dale farm......(well was??)

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

'This place ain't getting no better' is truly awesome but last week I was going through some old stuff and found an incredible tune by him 'She's married already' from '74 on Chicago label MOD-ART and been playing it nonstop all week. I highly reccomend it !!

Don't think it's a hard one and I presume I'll get some commission for stating that John Manship has one for £30

Social source share

'This place ain't getting no better' is truly awesome but last week I was going through some old stuff and found an incredible tune by him 'She's married already' from '74 on Chicago label MOD-ART and been playing it nonstop all week. I highly reccomend it !!

Don't think it's a hard one and I presume I'll get some commission for stating that John Manship has one for £30

every time i find this record it's on black beauty (which I think is the first label) and it's cracked for some reason. The mod-art press is rarer in my experience but I think it's the second label.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!