Linda Jones Best Performance?

Sjclement

It really is a case of did she make a single bad record ? Three of those not yet mentioned that I've got a soft spot for

Classic Oldie - I Cant Stop Loving My Baby

Amphetasoul - Last Minute Miracle

I'm not much on ballads which aint beat ballads, but try this - I Who Have Nothing

Are all her recordings done with George Kerr ? I'm not over familiar with the post WB/Loma stuff

Social source share

I'm a big fan of the track "If only we had met sooner" from her "Hypnotized" LP. Whilst the stereo mix is rather weak and very thin in sound, the mono recording is warm, rich, has great depth and really brings Linda's voice to the fore. The arrangement is marvellous, too.

It's a brilliant performance all round and a great slice of early 'crossover' soul. It's also vastly underrated (possibly because of the weakness of the stereo version). Here's the mono version... :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRLdicXQZuw

Social source share

linda jones , for many, is the epitome of class...not one average tune, all 5 star loma or not and under the guidance of ace songwriter/producer, george kerr.....as i said a while back on here, can you imagine if she had recorded "you hit me ( right where it hurt me )"? dont get me wrong alice clark & kim weston's are wonderful readings of a truly impassioned song....but LINDA JONES?.....WOW!!, now that would be legendary!!. bearing in mind dave godin,s association with the british release of the best of the loma catalogue, im sure that shrewd connoiseur of soul would have sniffed it out of the archives, had it existed.

Social source share

Both "If Only We Had Met Sooner" and "Fugitive From Love" are on the forthcoming "They Call It Crossover" and "The Pain Goes Deep" Sean Hampsey volumes in the next 10 Backbeats coming in December.......

Ian D :D

there are two totally different versions of fugitive from love that she did. there's the turbo version and the earlier blue cat version. i'm not sure which one i like better, they are different but each is pretty good.

Social source share

Tried hard, but can't make a definition, just so many mighty recordings and a whole heap of Soul perfection in varying styles...Of the ones covered here, Northern magic on 'My heart needs a break' and 'I just cant.etc, etc...'...Great version of 'Last minute miracle too', on the slow side ''Fugitive of love is awesome' and 'Iif only (we had met sooner)' is just so classy it hurts...And there are many other great tracks too...simply too good to be forgotten...Jesus Christ can you imagine what the judges on X-Factor or American Idol would do if LINDA JONES walked on today? Yet again the world of Soul Music shows what the word 'Talent' really means.... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

Always rated this one.

Best

Kev

As with any recording by Linda, I loved both of her Netune 45's Kev, and on the flip of the one ya posted "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" you had her great take on the old O'Jays tune, again it's that man George Kerr bringing out the best from one of the best Fem. soul singers of all time.... god bless her!

steve

https://youtu.be/JymfTDdAPKU

Social source share

As with any recording by Linda, I loved both of her Netune 45's Kev, and on the flip of the one ya posted "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" you had her great take on the old O'Jays tune, again it's that man George Kerr bringing out the best from one of the best Fem. soul singers of all time.... god bless her!

steve

I like both neptune 45s but "that's when I'll stop loving you" is my favorite. But when did the O'Jays do the track? Thanks.

Social source share

that's the a-side, "I'll be sweeter tomorrow (than I was yesterday)". Linda Jones does that song but it's not the same song as "that's when I'll stop loving you". Thanks.

sorry Bob, misunderstanding, I was talking bout the youtube clip I posted, not the one Kev posted. I posted the other side of "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" which is Linda's version of "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" hope that clears it up

best

steve

Social source share

there are two totally different versions of fugitive from love that she did. there's the turbo version and the earlier blue cat version. i'm not sure which one i like better, they are different but each is pretty good.

I'm pretty sure we're using the Turbo version (Sean will no doubt confirm) because we did actually have access to both - I completely forgot we're also using "You Hit Me Like T.N.T." on the Northern volume ("Lost In Time") as well. So 3 Linda Jones tracks on 3 different volumes. Not a bad batting average......

Roll on Boxing Day.....

Social source share

sorry Bob, misunderstanding, I was talking bout the youtube clip I posted, not the one Kev posted. I posted the other side of "That's When I'll Stop Loving You" which is Linda's version of "I'll Be Sweeter Tomorrow" hope that clears it up

best

steve

sorry, i didn't watch the youtube clip so it was probably my fault. two great sides either way. thanks.

Social source share

best

steve

You wrist-slashers are all the same! :lol:

Hope yer well Steve and love to Tina.

Social source share

I think it's generally accepted by quite a few people that Linda could sing the telephone book and make it sound great! :P

Mind you, did she ever do a really bad recording?

that linda lane 45 on cub (her first record) is pretty weak. she one of my favorite female singers overall though, along with Patti Hamilton and Barbara Lynn.

Social source share

Didn't know they had cut it Mike? was it during their days at Amy Bell? is it on 45?

..Linda's version :thumbsup:

steve

Yes Steve - it was an unreleased track from Bell that appeared on that album they shared with the Whatnauts (on Stang?) and also on the the CD 'The Bell Sessions' which has all the great Bell stuff without the awful 'dubbed' crowd noises!! Titled slightly different just 'Baby You Move Me' and credited only to L Ellison. Pick up the CD if you can, it's wonderful! Mike

Social source share

Yes Steve - it was an unreleased track from Bell that appeared on that album they shared with the Whatnauts (on Stang?) and also on the the CD 'The Bell Sessions' which has all the great Bell stuff without the awful 'dubbed' crowd noises!! Titled slightly different just 'Baby You Move Me' and credited only to L Ellison. Pick up the CD if you can, it's wonderful! Mike

Cheers for that Mike, will check that out, I got an LP of their Bell stuff,and as ya say, it is ruined with canned audience!

steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!