Any Millionaires Around Look @ This On Ebay

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

that is depressing to look at. he can't even find a few 4-figure records to take pictures of out of 15,000 45s. it is depressing because he has so much of his life invested in collecting the records and thinks they're worth a ton of money when in reality he would have difficulty getting 1/10th of his asking price. it's also depressing because there are so many other collectors / hoarders in the same position.

Social source share

Yeah, the records he shows are nothing, in scheme of 50 years of collecting. They were probably worth more 15 years ago. I assume he had fun along the way which is the whole point. If you're collecting records to sell when you get old, then you're in the wrong game. You're supposed to enjoy it in the moments as it happens.

Social source share

Yeah, the records he shows are nothing, in scheme of 50 years of collecting. They were probably worth more 15 years ago. I assume he had fun along the way which is the whole point. If you're collecting records to sell when you get old, then you're in the wrong game. You're supposed to enjoy it in the moments as it happens.

This is why I'm so targeted / genre specific in my collecting. I get a sense of satisfaction from having a (relatively) close to "complete" collection of soul groups, and for having run all the records of a group or label. Random record hoarders (like that Paul Mahwinney guy) just think they have "most of the good records" when in reality they've spread themselves thin with little focus, and their collections aren't worth much.

Social source share

One of the things I don't get is that he says 15,000 records and then there's 1500 blues, doowop, rockabilly, northern soul.....so 13,500 are generic crap?

And yes, a beat Flamingos on Parrot, their least valuable one, is probably his prize.

I see a Rojac 45 label in one of the pics...Third Guitar? :g:

Social source share

This is why I'm so targeted / genre specific in my collecting. I get a sense of satisfaction from having a (relatively) close to "complete" collection of soul groups, and for having run all the records of a group or label. Random record hoarders (like that Paul Mahwinney guy) just think they have "most of the good records" when in reality they've spread themselves thin with little focus, and their collections aren't worth much.

I think you've missed George's point there. There is a vast difference between a soul fan and a soul collector. A fan buys music he likes, for the express idea of getting as much enjoyment from them as possible, with little thought of their resell value. If someone is buying stuff for the express purpose of making money, then they aren't going to have a colection tailored to their likes and it is less likley to give them as much pleasure, unless making £ is more important than the music.

Edited by phillyDaveG
Social source share

that is depressing to look at. he can't even find a few 4-figure records to take pictures of out of 15,000 45s. it is depressing because he has so much of his life invested in collecting the records and thinks they're worth a ton of money when in reality he would have difficulty getting 1/10th of his asking price. it's also depressing because there are so many other collectors / hoarders in the same position.

Yep. I know a few myself.

Ian D :(

Social source share

I think you've missed George's point there. There is a vast difference between a soul fan and a soul collector. A fan buys music he likes, for the express idea of getting as much enjoyment from them as possible, with little thought of their resell value. If someone is buying stuff for the express purpose of making money, then they aren't going to have a colection tailored to their likes and it is less likley to give them as much pleasure, unless making £ is more important than the music.

I don't think a soul fan or a collector buy records as an investment. One buys records that sounds good, the other accumulates plastic for the sake of accumulation. I was making the distinction between having a coherent collection (which is a 3rd type of person probably inbetween the two, or maybe a more targeted version of a "collector") and just having random records.

Social source share

Be a joy just to look through that lot, sure to be more than a few tasty tunes.

looking through 15k 45s can really suck if there is a high percentage of chud.

i remember one lot of 50k 45s which were almost all 80s crap & reissue jukebox hits, gruelling. really sucked. it was like that place where bad records had congregated to die....

Social source share

looking through 15k 45s can really suck if there is a high percentage of chud.

i remember one lot of 50k 45s which were almost all 80s crap & reissue jukebox hits, gruelling. really sucked. it was like that place where bad records had congregated to die....

yeah, this is the absolute worst, when someone calls you saying they have records and you look in the box and it's all 80s picture sleeves

Social source share

Once spent a full week setting up a viewing of 35 ,000 45s and lps - the owner said yes deffo lots of uk demo 7 s from 1960s ... all genres soul reggae pop beat

Had a week of sleepless nights visualising TMG red white promos etc....

After heavy expense hiring van drove 400 miles and opened the storage facility to.... over 30 , 000 chud 1980s pic sleeve 45s WTF !!!

So been there , done that more often than not ... That is why now I take all ' collections ' with a pinch of salt until seen in the flesh ....

Some collectors ' hey I have loads ' which means a box of fifty .. its all relative .....the strange world of collecting....

Social source share

Once spent a full week setting up a viewing of 35 ,000 45s and lps - the owner said yes deffo lots of uk demo 7 s from 1960s ... all genres soul reggae pop beat

After heavy expense hiring van drove 400 miles and opened the storage facility to.... over 30 , 000 chud 1980s pic sleeve 45s WTF !!!

So been there , done that more often than not ... That is why now I take all ' collections ' with a pinch of salt until seen in the flesh ....

Some collectors ' hey I have loads ' which means a box of fifty .. its all relative .....the strange world of collecting....

In my experience, people with a tiny amount of records tend to have more interesting titles. Large collections usually are all hits. When someone calls me I try to ask them to read off some of the titles to me so I can get an idea of what to expect.

Social source share

Guest ashleysoul

Does it really matter! A persons collection is theirs and theirs to enjoy! I've got a large collection and it's personal to me each and everyone of them. The size means nothing the contents mean everything!

Social source share

Guest ashleysoul

About 4000 12's and lp's and 600 7"s, which is big enough for me and the basement I dug out to put the bleeders in.

When I was younger I felt the need to buy as many as possible. Now it's quality over quantity definitely.

I've been collecting since I was 14 and they are all precious in a strange way. I listen to them from time to time, some very rarely but they all have tonnes of memories!

Social source share

Glyn - sounds identical description to a lot I actually bought! Same description, radio station (radio leeds) all demos, 60's etc. Went to get them, had to hire a van, they were shrink wrapped on a pallet, got them home, I think there were 6 x 60's records in the lot. Fortunately managed to get the sellers to take them back as it was an ebay sale.

n.b. was more like 3,00 records though

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert