The Parisians / Traditions - Twinkle Little Star

Douglas

If I've got these the right way round the Traditions used to be about £400 and the Parisians about £7/800. Both well in demand (and overplayed IMO) and price has risen. Last Parisians on ebay well over £1k. Think the last Traditions I saw was around £700. But as I said in demand and you never know what would happen in an auction and two lunatics wanted either bad enough.

Social source share

If I've got these the right way round the Traditions used to be about £400 and the Parisians about £7/800. Both well in demand (and overplayed IMO) and price has risen. Last Parisians on ebay well over £1k. Think the last Traditions I saw was around £700. But as I said in demand and you never know what would happen in an auction and two lunatics wanted either bad enough.

OK cheers,thanks a lot.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi could someone give me the rough price for 'Twinkle Little Star' by these groups please.

Parisians has been re issued don't know if that will change thing's price wise on an original regards ect.

Social source share

traditions better version imo

Social source share

Speaking of the Parisians, which was an ex 100 Club spin for Irish Greg many, many moons ago, hands up who recalls Shifty's Parisians c/up, 'The Deep, Deep South'...now that is a belter of a tune inna similar style!

:shhh:

Social source share

Speaking of the Parisians, which was an ex 100 Club spin for Irish Greg many, many moons ago, hands up who recalls Shifty's Parisians c/up, 'The Deep, Deep South'...now that is a belter of a tune inna similar style!

:shhh:

The Parisians: many collectors had it in the 7ts and 8ts (an old £4 record) and played in various clubs before the 100 club. Almost an oldie by the time it was played at the 100 club.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Parisians: many collectors had it in the 7ts and 8ts (an old £4 record) and played in various clubs before the 100 club. Almost an oldie by the time it was played at the 100 club.

True enough...I paid £8 for mine and never considered it a tough tune to find.

I cited the 100 Club/Greg reference as he pushed it overground for many, and it linked nicely to my 100 Club/Shifty/Parisians c/up point!

:thumbup:

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

Hi,

I have to agree regarding the comments re Parisians supposed rarity. I picked it up from Keb for under a fiver in the early 80s (It came from Bernie Golding's hoard). You often saw the record and it never commanded a big ticket.

All best

Ion

Social source share

Whatever the Parisians cost 20/25 or 30 years ago it now commands a big price. As for which is rarer, try finding either these days.

Manship has the Parisians in his book at £700 and the Traditions at £450 I think.

Are the Traditions the same group as on Barclay? The Parisians sound black to me, not that it matters....well to some it does.

I was talking to Paul Trefzger of Saxony records who recorded The Traditions on Barclay who were definitely white and he thinks the Traditions on Abet were the same group although he wasn't sure. He found th e Traditions to record the song he had "Forever and Always". The conversations were about three years ago and came about because someone thought at the time the Ditalians and the Traditions were the same group and Paul said they were definitely not as the Ditalians were black, Bruce Tolbert was the lead of the Ditalians and 16 at the time, he died in the 70's. Some of the Ditalians went onto success with 24 Carat Black.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Think have posted this somewhere before but the lead singer of the Parisians was basically bananas, would only sing if he was allowed to wear his glove puppet of a cockroach, the flip of the 45 has him singing in the puppet's "voice", track of course sounds terrible but pretty funny at the same time, takes all sorts eh

Social source share

Whatever the Parisians cost 20/25 or 30 years ago it now commands a big price. As for which is rarer, try finding either these days.

Manship has the Parisians in his book at £700 and the Traditions at £450 I think.

Are the Traditions the same group as on Barclay? The Parisians sound black to me, not that it matters....well to some it does.

I was talking to Paul Trefzger of Saxony records who recorded The Traditions on Barclay who were definitely white and he thinks the Traditions on Abet were the same group although he wasn't sure. He found th e Traditions to record the song he had "Forever and Always". The conversations were about three years ago and came about because someone thought at the time the Ditalians and the Traditions were the same group and Paul said they were definitely not as the Ditalians were black, Bruce Tolbert was the lead of the Ditalians and 16 at the time, he died in the 70's. Some of the Ditalians went onto success with 24 Carat Black.

The Traditions on Barclay (from Pottsville, PA) recorded three 45s, the first one was a garage sound on Richie. All white guys. In 1970 the band had evolved into another band, Sweet Vengance, and released one 45 on MGM. They are not the group that recorded for A-bet. The Pottsville Traditions story has been covered in a book and on a CD, with pics, etc.

Social source share

The Traditions on Barclay (from Pottsville, PA) recorded three 45s, the first one was a garage sound on Richie. All white guys. In 1970 the band had evolved into another band, Sweet Vengance, and released one 45 on MGM. They are not the group that recorded for A-bet. The Pottsville Traditions story has been covered in a book and on a CD, with pics, etc.

I sent Paul a picture of the Pottsville Traditions and it was first time he had seen it, he said they looked familiar. It was he who said they could be the same as the Abet group but wasn't sure, I mentioned at the time they didn't sound the same. I'll dig the e-mails out when I get the chance.

post-225-0-79355600-1320157668_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I sent Paul a picture of the Pottsville Traditions and it was first time he had seen it, he said they looked familiar. It was he who said they could be the same as the Abet group but wasn't sure, I mentioned at the time they didn't sound the same. I'll dig the e-mails out when I get the chance.

post-225-0-79355600-1320157668_thumb.jpg

If you really want to settle this, I would suggest you contact a band member, or Erik Lindgren at Arf Arf records, the guy who put together the comp that featured the songs (from which you've posted the pic.....want to make sure he gets the credit) and find out from the source.

Social source share

I remember first hearing the Parisians played out at Bedford all-nighter, around '81, some time before Irish Gregg latched on to it. Mick Godfrey had turned up a few copies at the time and was knocking them out for a fiver. It just goes to show that really, really bad records without a trace of soul given enough deck time can become monster floor fillers, and fetch crazy values.... only on the Northern scene.... :g:

I didn't buy it then for a fiver, and I wouldn't now. Chalky's right, it's totally played out, but there's a better reason that it shouldn't be played......it's awful.... :yes: IMO of course.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Male

At least one giveaway is the size of (Ernie Fields). On the original the first bracket is just under the K in Twinkle, on that one it's under the I and N.

So, a little Ern is a goodun :thumbsup:

Can't make it out in the crap blurry pic, but there's too much writing on the right as well.

Social source share

What he actually states is ORIGINAL LABEL...clever wording methinks, though he does state RARE ITEM further down the description...should a repress of 500 be considered rare (presuming it's a 500 run?).....and yes, the number available is pretty much a dead giveaway.

I heard recently that up until the 50 year licensing rule got extended to 70 years, that pretty much every big Northern record was set to be pressed on lookalikie lables, in the same vein as the current R&B reissues.

Have seen quite a few lookalikies lately, most are dead obvious, but on ebay with a poor scan and clever wording it's probably best to do your homework before 'bagging a bargain' so to speak.

The easiest way to check is to go on ebay.com and do a search for the item.......cus if some-one's selling them, then you can bet a good few others are as well......as below,

https://www.ebay.com/...-All-Categories

Edited by Mace
Social source share

butch had a parisians for sale at prestatyn im almost sure he had a grand on it but could be wrong , i also remember another about 5 months back on ian clarks auction it reached over a grand or over

i was also offerd a grand for my own copy of the traditions . it apears that regardles of opinions on here there is stil plenty demand for the record no matter which recording of it , personally i dont play it anymore

Social source share

Are all these look a likes coming from one source/ factory/ maker or is it widespread with many people knocking them out.. We are being swamped with fakes, are they from mars :huh: , USA or some place down the M6 .. If the answer aint for public consumption then can someone please drop me a message....

im told up yorkshire and further down in the midlands . or may be the source is up yorkshire n rest are disributors

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!