Stafford Memories by Derek Pearson

Stafford Memories by Derek Pearson magazine cover

A post that Derek p has kindly ok-ed to use here on soul source circa 99

Stafford - here's my two pee's worth.

There's much talk about the 70s and 90s on here but little chat about the decade in between when I suspect many KTFers for a wide variety of reasons put the soul scene on hold.

As a 20 year old I first started allnighters in 1977 attending anywhere from 15-30 all nighters per year. By 1984 after a 7 year apprenticeship, I was heavily (and I mean deep) into vinyl. Stafford called and at the time I was saving up for my first house hence I was down to only 10 allnighters a year. We hung out with George & Jackie Sharp at the time travelling all over the north as you do.

Anyway Stafford was a bizarre place. I thought I knew a bit about the music but as soon as I crossed the Staffordshire border I met lads younger than me that could kick my arse big time knowledge wise on midtempo 60s stuff. Remember Tommo, Ady Harley, Gis from Preston, Jock O'Connor, Jim Tennent, Cliff Steele, Rob Wigley. The gloves were off. Money was tight so we only ventured to TOTW every other one (think it started off monthly then went to every second week ?).

Now why Stafford was so exciting yet such hard work sometimes (and If you read early issues of Shades Of Soul circa 1984/5 I say exactly that in my venue reports at the time) was that both Guy Hennigan and Keb Darge were attacking the music policy with such ferocity that their playlists changed monthly probably weekly so if you missed one or two Staffords the next time you went you could sit there for hours and not know any sounds. It was such fun because you could hear so much new music, granted a lot have gained cult status but it had its fair share of turkeys just like any other venue past present and future. Plus Stafford at the time had quite an aggressive attitude - those that went considered themselves the flag bearers the saviours of the scene after the white pop shite that was played at the back end of the 70s early 80s. You were either into 60s newies or you weren't. You were in the Stafford gang or you stopped at home listening to Paul Anka.

A lot of quality modern & new 80s releases were spun there as well least we forget. Stafford kept the northern raft afloat as it careered underground in the mid 80s and turned what style of music was played on its head. All scenes undergo change to survive. And Stafford certainly left its mark on the scene we know. I guess the further we move away from the 80s the more Stafford will be revered just like people that say "yeh we used to go to the Torch or the Wheel".

When you do a long post like this even though I've read twice as soon as I hit that "send" button and read it tomorrow I just know I'll be writing a Stafford Part 2.

Members Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!