Gloucester Jamaican Club

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

I had a chat with a friend yesterday who reminded me of this place.

Guys in the bar playing dominoes. Banging the tables louder than the dancers could clap.

I think they held 2 possibly 3 allnighters there in the mid 80s, that were pretty well attended. And then they stopped.

Can anyone else remember them? Who ran the night? I cant even remember who DJ'd. Hippo? Did you?

I do remember enjoying them......but thats about it :-(

Social source share

Hi Mikey,

Yep...remember this one well...bit of a mad place...got photos from one of the nights, might possibly have a flyer knocking around somewhere too.

Can't remember who ran it though.

Best

Edwin

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Pete French ran them(,i´m pretty certain) usually they coincided with Porthcawl or seemed that way i dj´d there a couple of times, it was during the Stafford era when Big Frank etc were the sounds,

Most obvious sign in the building was "The smoking of marijuana on these premises is forbidden" over the years in Gloucester we had some strange venues :yes:

Steve

High Steve that's why I didn't go how you doing respect Simon.

Social source share

Guest mickeyb

Hiya Mikey,

Dont remember going to this - must have "retired" at the time. Remember the all nighter at Gloucester Tech (81 or 82?). Brilliant Pinball in the Games Room which was hogged most of the night by some scary dreads. Clarkie and Tony Ellis were meant to be playing but they discovered that real ale pub down Bristol Road that stayed open while anyone was drinking (Linden Tree?), bowled up pissed about 5 O'Clock. Think Dave T and Hippo had to hold the fort until then. :)

Social source share

I remember and went to them...is the building still there? Was a decent size dancefloor, stage for the decks and the 'dominoes room' was off to the left (if looking towards the stage). Ithikn I also DJ'ed at one of them as I seem to recall playing Pat & Neurotics on Crown...and for some strange reason the two tracks that stick in my head from those nights are Billy Arnell - Tough Girl inst and Spellbinders - Help Me...amazing what nonsense one can remember!?!

:g:

Social source share

Guest Glawster

Pete French ran them(,i´m pretty certain) usually they coincided with Porthcawl or seemed that way i dj´d there a couple of times, it was during the Stafford era when Big Frank etc were the sounds,

Most obvious sign in the building was "The smoking of marijuana on these premises is forbidden" over the years in Gloucester we had some strange venues :yes:

Steve

Neil Self gave us a DVD of soul nights @ The Bristol Hotel,have a nostalgic squizz at that now and then and another Gloucester venue i remember was Wheelwrights,cant remember who ran that,was probably losing my apprentice hard earned playing 3 card against Ken inhis chinese restraunt next door!!

Social source share

I had a chat with a friend yesterday who reminded me of this place.

Guys in the bar playing dominoes. Banging the tables louder than the dancers could clap.

I think they held 2 possibly 3 allnighters there in the mid 80s, that were pretty well attended. And then they stopped.

Can anyone else remember them? Who ran the night? I cant even remember who DJ'd. Hippo? Did you?

I do remember enjoying them......but thats about it :-(

Yes, I was there - can't remember too much about them except the stage, Flynny dj'ing, and cans of Red Stripe! :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Remember the all nighter at Gloucester Tech (81 or 82?). Brilliant Pinball in the Games Room which was hogged most of the night by some scary dreads. Clarkie and Tony Ellis were meant to be playing but they discovered that real ale pub down Bristol Road that stayed open while anyone was drinking (Linden Tree?), bowled up pissed about 5 O'Clock. Think Dave T and Hippo had to hold the fort until then. :)

Think I'm innocent on that one Mick - don't remember doing that niter, but remember doing the Cambridge Suite at the Leisure Centre with Searling guesting!

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest garysoul82

Went there in the early eighties.Frenchie and Steve smith were djing.Attendance was well down due to another niter being held

somewhere.Bloody long walk from the coach station aswell.

Social source share

...but remember doing the Cambridge Suite at the Leisure Centre with Searling guesting!

Recall those as well...remember you also DJ'ed there when Edwin Starr was performing!?!

:thumbup:

Social source share

I went to the Jamaica Club events- happy days- didn't you have to walk through a scrap yard to get in? I remember meeting up with Ken Dunn and the other Gloucester Mods there. I also remember Pete French's Wheelwrights nite at the cattle market in Gloucester, always advertised in Black Echoes after Brady beat! Bought a few records off of Pete there, still have a couple of Major Lance Demo's in my collection, funny how you remember where you bought certain items! long time ago now but great to be seeing so many of the same faces at events today- ktf

Social source share

Hiya Mikey,

Dont remember going to this - must have "retired" at the time. Remember the all nighter at Gloucester Tech (81 or 82?). Brilliant Pinball in the Games Room which was hogged most of the night by some scary dreads. Clarkie and Tony Ellis were meant to be playing but they discovered that real ale pub down Bristol Road that stayed open while anyone was drinking (Linden Tree?), bowled up pissed about 5 O'Clock. Think Dave T and Hippo had to hold the fort until then. :)

Glaaaaaaawster Tech - Blimey, first all nighter I ever went to but one I went to was in '78 - nicked a bottle of milk on the walk home. Happy days.

St Peter's Social club and Quedgely village hall were local do's at the time.

Out of interest does anyone remember Maria Holmes or Shaun Weston who were kicking around at that time. What happened to them?

Social source share

Neil Self gave us a DVD of soul nights @ The Bristol Hotel,have a nostalgic squizz at that now and then and another Gloucester venue i remember was Wheelwrights,cant remember who ran that,was probably losing my apprentice hard earned playing 3 card against Ken inhis chinese restraunt next door!!

I ran the Wheelwrights, Just before I started running Stafford, Richard Sealing, Gary Rushbrook, Dave Withers, Ian Clark, Dave Greet all DJ'd there along with me and Ady Pountain as residents. Used to run them once a month, once Stafford really took off I stopped them and Pete French started them again (as he always does). Had some real packers there, over 300 one night in a venue that was only supposed to hold 200. Good fun nights !!!

Social source share

Guest Glawster

Glaaaaaaawster Tech - Blimey, first all nighter I ever went to but one I went to was in '78 - nicked a bottle of milk on the walk home. Happy days.

St Peter's Social club and Quedgely village hall were local do's at the time.

Out of interest does anyone remember Maria Holmes or Shaun Weston who were kicking around at that time. What happened to them?

I used to go to Quedgeley Village hall too,remember Any Drinan and Kev and Andy Bell strutting there stuff (they wernt Cryptians ;-) )

Social source share

Guest Glawster

I ran the Wheelwrights, Just before I started running Stafford, Richard Sealing, Gary Rushbrook, Dave Withers, Ian Clark, Dave Greet all DJ'd there along with me and Ady Pountain as residents. Used to run them once a month, once Stafford really took off I stopped them and Pete French started them again (as he always does). Had some real packers there, over 300 one night in a venue that was only supposed to hold 200. Good fun nights !!!

I honestly cant remember whether it was you or Pete running it at the time I went Dave - I was only a pup! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Glawster

I used to go to Quedgeley Village hall too,remember Any Drinan and Kev and Andy Bell strutting there stuff (they wernt Cryptians ;-) )

Should be Andy Drinan and Im pretty certain Andy Powell used to frequent it too - The girls spinning to the Intro of The Shakers One wonderful Moment grabbed me hook line and sinker into the music! - Did you ever venture down to Saul Village Hall Warren?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Should be Andy Drinan and Im pretty certain Andy Powell used to frequent it too - The girls spinning to the Intro of The Shakers One wonderful Moment grabbed me hook line and sinker into the music! - Did you ever venture down to Saul Village Hall Warren?

Flynny remembering 'silly things'. I too remember the girls spinning to - One Wonderful Moment. That song always reminds me of Gloucester.

Social source share

I'm sure I've still got a flyer somewhere - complete with "naughty bits" :) ...one tune which always reminds me of Wheelwrights, strangely enough, is Nina Simone's "My baby just cares for me" as it was massive for the 6t's crowd at the time!

Social source share

Might have gone - might not as I'm trying to remember the venues on in the late 70s. CEGB on the Barnwood Rd used to do great dos.

Now, don't get me started with full circle skirts - worth the price of admission on thier own.

Social source share

I'm sure I've still got a flyer somewhere - complete with "naughty bits" :) ...one tune which always reminds me of Wheelwrights, strangely enough, is Nina Simone's "My baby just cares for me" as it was massive for the 6t's crowd at the time!

I have some of those posters somewhere along with most of the hand made Stafford ones, trouble is they've been back away years, wouldn't even know where to start looking

Social source share

(they wernt Cryptians ;-) )

I went to 'Tommys'...and was the only N.Soulie there during my entire time there...everyone else was a 'Greebo'...what a hilarious term that is!

Social source share

I ran the Wheelwrights, Just before I started running Stafford...

More flashbacks for me - remember Ady spinning the Nomads and you Detroit Soul!! I even bought the other Detroit Soul disc on the back of AOML...and being excited at the fancier label design, but disappointed as to what was in the grooves!

Used to hang about with Adey Pierce and the Freeman brothers, Paul, Pete and Ian...fun times!

Social source share

went jamaican club a few times in the early 70s when i worked with several black lads........saw edwin starr there and others, cant remember who......... all bit ......um...........vague....then and now :D .ez..........btw dave, i will pass your regards to the freemans , i still see um occasionally........

Edited by ezzie brown
Social source share

I went to an allnighter at the Jamaican Club in 83 or 84. If I'm honest, I don't remember a great deal about it other than Otis Clay, The Only Way is Up was definetely played. I remember buying a pint of milk on the walk back to the station to get themorning train home to Chippenham!! It definitely happened though!! The other thing that sticks in mind was a concrete dance floor - is that right?

Social source share

Ah The Wheelwrights! You heard more new records there than you remember. If Dave or I got anything new around that time it usually got it's first play at Wheelwrights. It's also where Ady Pierce bought his first records, off me! I played Nina Simone because I was going to 6T's in Hampstead at the time and when I found something they played I would play it near the end. Stuff like Roscoe Gordon on UK Island, Tiny Topsy on Gold Pye and when I was pissed "Nervous Boogie" by Paul Gayten! I think they call it R&B nowadays, or even Upfront! Meg used to go and she was 12 at the time and I'm not joking. Anyone remember me not turning up because Budgie got me arrested? I also did The Jamaican Club a few times and spent most of them getting the locals off Carol, Ady

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!