Velvet Hammer - Happy

Guest Andy Kempster

yeah bob seems carl played rhythm guitar on the turks recordings...you can read pretty much all what happened on this blog..

aster carl got in touch with this guy and told him all about his recordings

https://blog.djmatthe...-revisited.html

Everything he writes there seems accurate -- he even acknowledges that willie weems was the main guitarist. Do you have an email for him? What interested me is actually the mention of the Chicago TNTs -- he has to be talking about the Chi-TNTs on Daran.

Social source share

Guest sigher the gutter snype

yeah i got an email for him, sure he wont mind you getting in contact with him, he seems like a real nice kat

pm me

Social source share

I'm sure you're right Tim, was played at the Laff before wigan, and that's why Sams play of it at Wigan was dedicated to our lot. I remember Pep having loads of copies of the album and the single, at the Laffayette one night too, sold them for £5 each, Crispi bought one.

Was also under the impression that Sam had this first, sure it went big at The Fleet before taking off at Wigan, but then again I didnt think it was played untill well into 79 rather than late 78

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

When did it originally come out? I'm pretty sure I got this from Jumbo's in Leeds as a new U.S. release in the mid 70's.......? Multicoloured too.....

Ian D :D

Jumbo's is still going strong in Leeds Ian!

Social source share

• 11 months later...

If anyone is in the vicinity of Brooklyn tonight, you can catch the Green Berets (aka the Velvet Hammer) doing "Happy" live at Dig Deeper. Here's what went down at rehearsal last night, a mostly a capella version:

https://www.facebook....v=3851339522792

Full band version tonight!

- honky

Great stuff Richard. I wish this was just down the road :( Hope you will upload the full bad version?

Social source share

I vaugely remember back in about 1983ish john powney telling me That happy had "3" label designs on soozi and also the bee, boot one, and i recall when he did a set he brought them to show me (they were in a carrier bag LOL), if anyone is still in contact with him worth asking him to clear it up, as it was always in my head that there were two designs and for whatever reason this strange none consequencial thing stuck in my head...dont know why as i wasnt a fan of the track i thought it was too....twee

Geeooooordie

Social source share

I vaugely remember back in about 1983ish john powney telling me That happy had "3" label designs on soozi and also the bee, boot one, and i recall when he did a set he brought them to show me (they were in a carrier bag LOL), if anyone is still in contact with him worth asking him to clear it up, as it was always in my head that there were two designs and for whatever reason this strange none consequencial thing stuck in my head...dont know why as i wasnt a fan of the track i thought it was too....twee

Geeooooordie

There was also the R.B. Records boot (again coupled with Omni) which came out in 1980-ish and which has the correct group credits.

Mas

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!