Outstanding Contribution Award

If you could gave an outstanding contribution award to someone on the soul scene, who would it be and why?

There are many people who are worthy of a mention, here's just a few names that spring to mind for the nominees,

John Manship - Butch - Soul Sam

Mainly because of their dedication and enthusiasm for the music, also they have kept this scene going for many years, even through the lean periods, when a lot of people thought the soul scene was dead and buried.

I'm sure the list will go on and on, I could think of at least another dozen or so people who are worthy of mention, however it would be interesting to know your thoughts.

Social source share

Ady Croasdell. Great bloke, time for everyone, doesn't throw his achievements in everyone's face, lets them speak for themselves. Kent records. The 100 club. Cleethorpes............yep he'd be my choice.

Totally agree Winnie - a man who has achieved more than most promoters, yet remains a modest, decent bloke whom you can't help but like and respect.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

While I realise some have probably made more of a contribution it wouldn't be much of a scene without the rest of us, so we all deserve a pat on the back I reckon. :thumbup:

If pushed i'd have to say Richard Searling for heralding the new era in the final days of Wigan.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I would have to say Richard Searling. Always well respected, and kept my interest on his Radio Shows in the eighties and early nineties when Northern was in decline , before making a re-emergance in the latter half of the nineties.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Mike Hughes and soul source should also have a mention, very influential over the years, loads of information and keeps everybody in touch

i be first in the queue to say "but nah"

i can think of 10001 people more deserving

only element of soul source imo that deserves to be considered would be the actual members

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i be first in the queue to say "but nah"

i can think of 10001 people more deserving

only element of soul source imo that deserves to be considered would be the actual members

Understand that Mike, but without the site, no members, no easy access info, no day to day stuff, all important to me and many others

Social source share

I would put forward names like Rod Dearlove for his dedication & personal style of writing about Soul in his magazines.

Also, David Cole for keeping the flag flying with his magazine.

Steve Plumb for his writing,dj work and good taste in soul music.

Top of the list for me is the late Dave Godin, who did it ALL with soul and then some...

Social source share

If you could gave an outstanding contribution award to someone on the soul scene, who would it be and why?

There are many people who are worthy of a mention, here's just a few names that spring to mind for the nominees,

John Manship - Butch - Soul Sam

Mainly because of their dedication and enthusiasm for the music, also they have kept this scene going for many years, even through the lean periods, when a lot of people thought the soul scene was dead and buried.

I'm sure the list will go on and on, I could think of at least another dozen or so people who are worthy of mention, however it would be interesting to know your thoughts.

We did/had a poll/discussion on this a few years back 'Northern Soul Guru's'.. Think John Anderson came out top.

Ady C has to be up there. Shout out for seemingly egoless Sir Richard Searling - top ledge Northern jock and all round bloody good egg. Our own Mike Hughes has to be in the top 5 for keeping us soulfully all together on line. Ian Levine deserves a shout, Winstanley? Nah

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Soul Sam , Dave Raistrick (the Indiana Jones of northern soul mavericks ) Sam Evans (for enthusiasm) , Butch and Tim Ashebende ,John Manship.Regards ect.

Social source share

We did/had a poll/discussion on this a few years back 'Northern Soul Guru's'.. Think John Anderson came out top.

Ady C has to be up there. Shout out for seemingly egoless Sir Richard Searling - top ledge Northern jock and all round bloody good egg. Our own Mike Hughes has to be in the top 5 for keeping us soulfully all together on line. Ian Levine deserves a shout, Winstanley? Nah

You're right about the top 4 so far, early days though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest garysoul82

:thumbup: My vote would go to guy hennigan and keb They knew playing different types of soul music we were

used to would be difficult,but Stafford turned out to be the most influential venues ever.

Social source share

Got to say it Dave Evison, top bloke, dead honest and in the 8ts when he had his show on signal, the first time I heard the mello souls, CU'ed. His was also regualrly guesting for the likes of Guy's soultown promotions, massive sustained contribution, simarly Rob Smith real stalwarts.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What about the top dancers now & then !!!! They certainly deserve it!!!!!

I would also love to see someone actually trying to show the various style changes in northern soul dancing from each induvidual period starting from the early/mid 60's up to now before it gets lost in the mist of time!!! Maybe some of the older good dancers can pick their brains a bit and do a little documentary!! C'mon Paul :thumbsup:

Social source share

tis odd there's not that many nighter promoters on this, apart from adey, its then that that really keep it going and it can often hit them in the pocket, so what about MR White and Mace for starters?

I'm more suited to be nominated for the Outstanding Cnutribution Award to be fair Geese (in fact, it would be in the bag let's be honest :wink: ), but thanks for the mention (still full price admission on Saturday mind :lol: )

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Sorry to be a wet blanket but like Simsy said, this topic has been done before, and it was a pretty thorough one too, just can't see the point in doing the same identical thing again.

But if I have to vote I'll vote for Ian Levine.

I'd like to vote for Pete Smith cus he obviously got no votes last time..... :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry to be a wet blanket but like Simsy said, this topic has been done before, and it was a pretty thorough one too, just can't see the point in doing the same identical thing again.

But if I have to vote I'll vote for Ian Levine.

Fair point, didn't realise it had been done before, however people's opinion change as time passes, and it's good to be looking at the positive side of the soul scene.

Social source share

I'd like to vote for Pete Smith cus he obviously got no votes last time..... :D

I actually think in terms of SS Pete does deserve a mention, over 25000 posts on here, many of them informative, and generally when I've got a question about records it's normally Pete I ask, although do sometimes ask Chalky as well, both always answer without taking the p*ss, at my like lack of knowledge :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Simon Soussan..............just joking, Dickie Searling, Brian Rae for his Mr Ms sets & Carlton Warrington years & a little mention for Gerry Marshall too, can't leave out J Manship too, if only for his tapes in the 70's or his guides & the knowledge that you divide that price by four to find a value, he's actually guest dj in Warrington in November, me been looking for to that all year.

Cheers

Aid.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!