A Bit Of Fun

Citizen P

• Replies 38
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

er, am i a bit late for this? you can buy any of spyder turner's singles and they'd all be genuine.....but you wouldn't want to be fooled by a dell larks "original"....would you?.....remember a few eons ago, the ruckus about who'd got a real one and who hadn't......and nearly all of em HADN'T? ( sharp intake of breath :( ) old chinese proverb: wook before you weep :lol: anyway, i havent got one...nice expensive tune but then, spyder hasnt made a bad one either so......

Social source share

oh, and the LOVEMASTERS on jacklyn ( orange ) been around donkeys...i trust its being mentioned now because its being PLAYED and mr. taylor has just aqquired one......in which case it will go stellar.....and the price!!

Don't really get where you're coming from here, I cited the Lovemasters as a great cheap record-yes it has been around for ages-the Del Larks for example has probably been known a lot longer.

However, I find it to be a sad commentary on the current state of affairs that just because somebody has decided that it's worthy of play it will "Go Big".

Unfortunately, you are probably correct-it ain't always what's being played, it's who's playing it.

Regards

Tony

Social source share

Following a conversation I had earlier.

Just suppose, you didn't know the relative values and you were hearing them for the first time, side by side

You're Good enough For Me- Spyder Turner

Job Opening- Del Larks

You can only buy 1.

Which one would you choose.??

Tony

Del Larks, other ones shite T :lol:

Social source share

Following a conversation I had earlier.

Just suppose, you didn't know the relative values and you were hearing them for the first time, side by side

You're Good enough For Me- Spyder Turner

Job Opening- Del Larks

You can only buy 1.

Which one would you choose.??

Tony

Del Larks, other ones shite T

Don Varner

Regards,

Dave

:lol:

Del Larks and Don Varner. No competition.

Agree :yes:

Social source share

With the concensus here. Del Larks and Don Varner for me too. Like others have said, it's not to say Spyder Turner and the Lovemasters are not great records in themselves but the other 2 both have something unusual and utterly distinctive about them. It's not their rarity that makes them desirable (or at least shouldn't be).

Social source share

Don't really get where you're coming from here, I cited the Lovemasters as a great cheap record-yes it has been around for ages-the Del Larks for example has probably been known a lot longer.

However, I find it to be a sad commentary on the current state of affairs that just because somebody has decided that it's worthy of play it will "Go Big".

Unfortunately, you are probably correct-it ain't always what's being played, it's who's playing it.

Regards

Tony

tony,

i dont disagree. the lovemasters is amongst a myriad of tunes, trawling round the vinyl universe and it gets plucked out of semi-known acceptability to be given "an opportunity". i recall that dee dee sharp - deep dark secret was just a tupenny-hapenny record that could be purchased for £2 or less but in an effort to give the undervalued some meaning and in the face of the continual arguement about "the same 500 records", some dj's intuitively decided it was the right time...and they certainly didnt hedge their bets as it took off big style and,....infuriatingly, so did its value. of course its since bottomed out but it is still worth considerably more than its original pauper status.

anyway, the dell larks will always be supremely rare as will don varner and that is the overriding fact and they ARE great tunes, no doubt, but regardless of the limited value that is placed on spyder turners tunes, you could still play them alongside the aforementioned and get the same response and turner has a great voice to boot, and he was significantly better known via his recordings at terra shirma for the mgm logo and later warner bros. finally, as i said we can all buy his product legitimately whereas, BECAUSE OF THEIR RAREITY the two mega money tunes got booted to satisfy the ordinary punters demands, unfortunately somebody got really clever in the counterfeit process and duped a minority, unwittingly into buying what they believed were a clutch of genuine originals that had mysteriously turned up...surely after 3 decades, and not a sniff of a dell larks on the breeze, the alarm bells should surely have started to ring....a bit too late.

all of these cheapo's will have their day because there will always be somebody who will buy them and show some faith, im most certainly not the first person to say this,...you only have to read the liner notes for record sales online ( "will have its day - will be big" ) its like a fairground attraction where you hook the duck...these tunes are just waiting their turn...there's nothing wrong with that is there?, certainly not in the name of playing "something different and there are enough copies for people to buy, whereas only the same handful of people will EVER own a dell larks or don varner.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert