Whats The Original 7 Inch Issue Of Sweet Sherry?

Geeselad

whats the original 7 inch issue of sweet sherry?

I know it came out on the rare stamps first, but was the blue/ green boot before the contempo issue?

Which format should you play it from to consider it OVO? has anyone got an orig acetate of was it just a tape cut? thanks in advance, its always puzzled me, the history of a long loved oldie.

Social source share

US Volt / UK Stax LP are true first issues.

Contempo is official, so I wouldn't have any problem with someone playing that out.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL This would be a question for a pub quiz, and it still amazes me, that it never come out as 45, and is one of the original must find recordings, that helped the RARE SOUL Scene to be kicked into the obsessive scene that we love, rather than a late 60s fad? when it got bootlegged in late 72 on GROVES-VILLE, with BOK TO BACH on the other side, I quickly sold my STAX RARE STAMPS LP, which was the only way to play it, as a boot it was a big seller and many collectors would agree it was one to keep.

I still have my copy, John Abbey was a nice man, but his work with JJ & MAJOR LANCE turned him, and he was misled by the type of businessmen like Chris Burton's style of make the most cash, in the shortest time,? An opportunity missed! :( DAVE

Social source share

I know it came out on the rare stamps first, but was the blue/ green boot before the contempo issue?

Which format should you play it from to consider it OVO? has anyone got an orig acetate of was it just a tape cut? thanks in advance, its always puzzled me, the history of a long loved oldie.

rare stamps lp track. ovo contempo is reissue and blue /green is boot

Social source share

...yep good question young man---have ya got the Rare Stamps album I could borrow lol :wicked:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How can you re-issue something that as not had a issue ?

I suppose, Ken, that there's an argument to support a notion that the Contempo 45 is a reissue of the bootleg 45... :wicked:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I suppose, Ken, that there's an argument to support a notion that the Contempo 45 is a reissue of the bootleg 45... :wicked:

thats what I'm getting at, surly the boot was before the official 7 release of this?

...yep good question young man---have ya got the Rare Stamps album I could borrow lol :wicked:

No mate but I do have green un, and its autographed! you'd never see his signiture on the contempo job, LOL. :)

Social source share

How can you re-issue something that as not had a issue ?

Hi Ken

rare stamps LP track is the only ovo ,it was issued on contempo to the demand and not the real deal imo .

if any one has contempo copies its quite hard to find now and sell's for around £10 pounds or more.

Social source share

Would you be able to play it off this if you brought your own player along ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Track-Tape-JJ-BARNES-STEVE-MANCHA-Rare-Stamps-soul-/190504424979?pt=Music_Other_Formats&hash=item2c5af2d613#ht_2500wt_1344

8 TRACK TAPE Pre-Recorded Music 8Track Audio Tape

~ NOT an lp ~ NOT a cd ~ NOT a cassette ~ NOT reel-to-reel ~ Format = '8-Track Tape' ~ All Sales Final

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Nope, the Contempo 7" was before the boot. In fact, I vaguely remember this being pressed on O.O.T.P. as well..........?

Ian D :D

...You sure about that, Ian?

The Contempo came out in March 75. I would have sworn that the Groovesville boot preceded that, if only because I still have a copy of the Groovesville boot that I bought when it was 'new' and I would have already bought it on Contempo if that had been released first...

No OOTP 45 according to the (admittedly incomplete) listing that I have...

Social source share

The Contempo came out in March 75. I would have sworn that the Groovesville boot preceded that, if only because I still have a copy of the Groovesville boot that I bought when it was 'new' and I would have already bought it on Contempo if that had been released first...

No OOTP 45 according to the (admittedly incomplete) listing that I have...

Ian's wrong Tone.

Social source share

Mmm. Curious. I can't remember seeing a J.J. boot before I went to the U.S. which was in May '76. Also, I wouldn't have considered that "Sweet Sherry" was even worth booting back then as by the point Contempo issued it the tune was very much an oldie. I'm of the opinion that boot came out in the late 70's..........

If anyone can give me a definitive date or scan for the J.J. that'd be handy but if it's the Groovesville lookalike label I'd say waaay later than '75 Tone...

Social source share

Ian's wrong Tone.

I bet you I'm not! :lol:

I have an almost photographic memory of what was booted up until I left these shores in '76 and J.J. Barnes wasn't one of 'em. I do remember seeing 'em sometime after I got back and thinking that whoever was booting Groovesville was taking a chance because Tony Hestor was pretty active in the business then.......

Social source share

Hang on. I was talking about the Groovesville lookalike. I can't remember "Sweet Sherry" being on the 'b' side of the boot of "Boc To Bach" (which presumably was on a pale green Selectadisc boot right) but if it was, then yes, THAT certainly came out long before the Contempo 45.

So if that is in fact the case, then apologies to all (eats large dose of humble pie.......) :lol:

Social source share

It's actually got Lets Have A Love In inst on the other side - same color label as the first Bok To Bach bootleg though

:hatsoff2: HI PETE You are so right, of coarse it's got love-in Inst, I no what, Bootleg never had FATHERS ANGELES, It was me who had it, still have the issue, and after looking through records in jumble sales car boot sales junk shops, second hand records shops charity shops and all the boxes that i have looked through, apart from Mick's house, I have never seen an issue for sale, back in 72, I was certain that I would find it, but alas, also back then DEMOS of all UK 45s pot you straight in the elite of soul collectors at Blackpool Mecca, it was not to 73 when for a reason I don't no about, that rare Demos become more common,and 74 before I sussed out that about 7 UK 45s on issue were worth more than the DEMO, Carl Douglas, Jimmy Thomas, Little Hank, Sly & the Family stone, Hoagy Lands, and what else? also it was around the same year that Chubby Checker on a west coast Parkway making the US 45 worth more than the UK CP copy,and the find of Nolan Chance on Bunky, all this info was kept very quite and every one has there secret places to get records from again back then Ed Win gates (Love In Strings) was a BIG Rare Demo, now it's £7?

There was only the 1 BOOTLEG, That had JJ Barns on,

I remember Laura Lee on a fake RIC-TIC LABEL and the first batch of OOTP coming out a year later, and John Abbey the ED of Blues & Soul Mag, making statements about counterfeit records only to be out whited buy Chris Burton from Soul-on-Spoon.

That reminds me after to-night in 2 Days & a Breakfast their's a Children in Need event on for the kids,....

Hewer for the HARD CORE IT'S THE LAST OF THE TRILOGY OF TORCH SPECIALS, NOT SPONSORED BY BEN & JERRY'S ICE CREAM..

**IT'S TORCH 11 THE MUST ATTEND EVENT OF THE YEAR! with all your TOP KING SPINNERS + #1 DJ from Outer Space,"HERE WE GO AGAIN" Mr ALIEN DAY,,

also I WILL BE THERE WITH BLOCK EYE? :g: DAVE K

Social source share

Hang on. I was talking about the Groovesville lookalike. I can't remember "Sweet Sherry" being on the 'b' side of the boot of "Boc To Bach" (which presumably was on a pale green Selectadisc boot right) but if it was, then yes, THAT certainly came out long before the Contempo 45.

So if that is in fact the case, then apologies to all (eats large dose of humble pie.......) :lol:

Ian, the green Groovesville bootleg was so early it may have even have been from the Cats period. It was certainly around when I first got on the scene in 1974/75

Social source share

Some people maintain there was an original green label 45 on Groovesville - original not bootleg.

Think Dave Flynn has some background on it.

Dave you there?

I hear you loud and clear, over...

Yes, I can recall seeing/handling a copy back during the 8T's which had freshly arrived from the States and was sitting within an extensive and comprehensive Detroit collection. Yes, it was on a green labelled Groovesville, not unlike the bootleg pictured above...BUT...the font size was larger and the vinyl thicker. Don't think there was a machine stamp..no idea where it is now (that collection was sold off many moons ago)...and I only wish I had a scan!

The myth continues.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

I hear you loud and clear, over...

Yes, I can recall seeing/handling a copy back during the 8T's which had freshly arrived from the States and was sitting within an extensive and comprehensive Detroit collection. Yes, it was on a green labelled Groovesville, not unlike the bootleg pictured above...BUT...the font size was larger and the vinyl thicker. Don't think there was a machine stamp..no idea where it is now (that collection was sold off many moons ago)...and I only wish I had a scan!

The myth continues.

:hatsoff2:

Shurely shome mishtake?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Flynny's been knocking back a few too many of them Kirin beers if you ask me, Pete...

Mind you it could have been owned by the same guy who had the Volumes on Pama, I suppose... :rofl:

Social source share

...Flynny's been knocking back a few too many of them Kirin beers if you ask me, Pete...

Now, now, this was yonks before I fled the green and pleasant land we all love!

This is not a wind up...not my style.

:hypocrite:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

So the orig, ( albeit ilegal) 7inch is the green one on Groovesville, thanks guys, cleared it up now. i need the rare stamps LP too but will never part with me auto'ed copy on the boot.

Bootlegged due to its popularity on the rare stamps album which reminds me when i first got a copy of rare stamps from Woolworths

back in 72 when me & Kev Fox where told by Howard from Manchester that Sweet Sherry off the album was being spun at the Highland Room and there where a dozen copies in the woolies sale @ 6pence each 2n half new pence in todays dosh

Social source share

how can the groovesville be orig when ilegal it has to be contempo

Well I sposse you right in terms of legality, but I just meant that the groovesville boot was the first 7 inch copy you could buy, unless anyone can actually turn up the one Flynny mentioned, and what price that? :g:

Social source share

Well I sposse you right in terms of legality, but I just meant that the groovesville boot was the first 7 inch copy you could buy, unless anyone can actually turn up the one Flynny mentioned, and what price that? :g:

Stop callin' it original then :rofl:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Definitely Pete - I'm pretty certain it was 1973, Wingate Strings was a monster tune at that time!

I'd say 1973 as well. Definitely around the time Va-Va's was on the go which was for a few months from July '73 on. Always remember it being in a guy called Mick Stevens box when he gave us a lift to Va-Va's and he died that weekend so it's stuck in my mind. Also many years later i found his box of records in a local charity shop (bought the box full for a fiver) and Sweet Sherry green boot was in the box ... so deffo 1973

Social source share

Fine Ken but in that case you cant really call the contempo issue the original 7 inch either because the bootleg came before it. I'm not trying to defend boots here but sposse its gotta played of the lp to be ovo.

,it's original uk 45 well anywhere,unless there some release from outer Mongolia,Africa,Sth Amerca,Greece you get the idea. :P

Social source share

One of my early buys, but cannot remember when

P :)

:hatsoff2: HI ALL,,Just to put the record straight October 72 it was available, making it the 1st time it appeared on a 45 RPM 7inch, in the world,

I am certain a studio dub plate was available if required by a local Detroit Radio Station on request on a 7 or 10 inch acetate, So to put pedantic to one side and legality of the disc, it is the first original 7 inch, the UK Contempo was the 1st legal copy, on a personal point of view the Bootleg for me has much nostalgic associated to it, and as I have said, I sold the LP, and I still have the boot,

My thinking about the BOK to BACH mix up, can be explained by the photo of the 1st Boot, Then it had a legit release on HERITAGE,

Going back to the CATS the BOOT OF SWEET SHERRY was available before the Butch Baker Joker release, and that was in JAN 73, Before the close down of the TORCH in MARCH 73,? if that helps :g: DAVE

post-13241-0-63221200-1319081429_thumb.jpost-13241-0-57284200-1319081489_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL,,Just to put the record straight October 72 it was available, making it the 1st time it appeared on a 45 RPM 7inch, in the world,

I am certain a studio dub plate was available if required by a local Detroit Radio Station on request on a 7 or 10 inch acetate, So to put pedantic to one side and legality of the disc, it is the first original 7 inch, the UK Contempo was the 1st legal copy, on a personal point of view the Bootleg for me has much nostalgic associated to it, and as I have said, I sold the LP, and I still have the boot,

My thinking about the BOK to BACH mix up, can be explained by the photo of the 1st Boot, Then it had a legit release on HERITAGE,

Going back to the CATS the BOOT OF SWEET SHERRY was available before the Butch Baker Joker release, and that was in JAN 73, Before the close down of the TORCH in MARCH 73,? if that helps :g: DAVE

post-13241-0-63221200-1319081429_thumb.jpost-13241-0-57284200-1319081489_thumb.j

Timeline works for me Dave, but I think you mean the St. Lawrence boots of Fat man/Working at the go-go, The Joker was at least a year later.

Social source share

Hi Dave Oct 72 i have a really good memory of all the boots done in the 70,s I'm sure Sweet Sherry on the Grooves boot was done later than 72 , 73 Oct more like ...

:hatsoff2: Hi I am the first to admit that I have many gaps in my Grey matter, and sometimes get things woefully wrong? so to correct this I go by as many bench mark references as I can, in 72 I used to get records from junk shops in Harts & Beds Luton was good, MOORE'S, REDIFUSION, SELECTOR (Hector) Carlo's Bedford, DAVIDS BOOKSHOP & their warehouse in the Spirella building Letchworth, Contempos Hanaway street, Pete Waterman Coventry & Mick Smith,

Added to this I look at the many people who went to Blackpool Mecca Torch Up the Junction Bletsoe Market Harboro Shades & the CAT'S who dropped of the scene after the TORCH closed in March 73 and who drifted back at the end of 74, you would be surprised how many faces did not go to Wigan in the first year,

Now it's a fact that a Friend of mine & Mick's Billy Mac bought the Butch Baker JOKER on cherub Boot, and he dropped it on the steps coming out of the Cats, knocking a chip in it? now Billy did not go to Wigan nor did most people from the south including Mick,

So the record must have ome out in 72? as it was around the time KIETH M, covered Buster Pearson up and be for Jerry Williams and Otis Smith were reissued in 73, I may be wrong, somewhere I have a list of records from that period, i will try and find it? :ohmy:

Social source share

Hi Dave Oct 72 i have a really good memory of all the boots done in the 70,s im sure Sweet Sherry on the Groovs boot was done later than 72 , 73 Oct more like ...

I think that late 72 or early 73, the Sweet Sherry was done def before Wigan and i think before Va Va's as well.

No way was it as late as Oct 73, unless it was done twice.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!