• Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Bit quiet on this thread so far today :tumbleweed3:

Here's a good one and the best side of this particular record in my opinion

Have everything on this iconic label with the exception of Freddie Butler on 10001 - not that great a 45 and too expensive in relation to the quality

It's a toss-up whether you call the label Wheelsville or Wheelsville USA - two schools of thought

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-31951800-1318789535_thumb.j

Social source share

I think it's definitely Wheelsville USA except nobody uses the phrase.

Is Freddy Butler - Save your love for me baby - on Wheelsville?

Jeezus what a record...bet it was recorded at the same time as Silky Hargraves - Hurt by love, musicians sound idenitcal especially the electric guitar and drum sound

Social source share

Jeezus what a record...bet it was recorded at the same time as Silky Hargraves - Hurt by love, musicians sound idenitcal especially the electric guitar and drum sound

Haven't checked the dates Pete but I agree it sounds identical - especially the drums.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Is there any chance of some soundclips or youtube links for some of these? I have no records on this label, but quite often see some on saleslists, but money being tight I'm very cautious when it comes to buying blind. The main problem being for some reason (and this might sound weird :rolleyes: ), when looking at the label design of these I've assumed that they are very early 60's recordings (Charmaine - Young Girl type of sound), which I'm not a big fan of.

So if any of you could assist, it would be appreciated thanks.

Social source share

Is there any chance of some soundclips or youtube links for some of these? I have no records on this label, but quite often see some on saleslists, but money being tight I'm very cautious when it comes to buying blind. The main problem being for some reason (and this might sound weird :rolleyes: ), when looking at the label design of these I've assumed that they are very early 60's recordings (Charmaine - Young Girl type of sound), which I'm not a big fan of.

So if any of you could assist, it would be appreciated thanks.

The D-Town, Wheelsville, Premium Stuff, Mah's etc.labels were extensively covered by Goldmine on a series of CDs.

Fairly easily picked up on Amazon (but watch the prices!) and elsewhere:

Wheelsville Wonders:

https://www.amazon.co...319049999&ajr=0

Dancin' in D-Town:

https://www.amazon.co...319050023&ajr=0

The Magic of Detroit:

https://www.amazon.co...19050144&sr=1-9

These CDs will give you much of the catalogue across the various labels. There is some early stuff but also some of the best 'Northern' to come out of Detroit.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

The matrix numbers on Freddy & Silky run in sequence so it a safe bet, I've always thought so anyway.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert