Jeff Perry - Love Don't Come No Stronger

• Replies 32
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It's been played as a an indemander for the last 4 or 5 years but what a record and what a video from Soul train. I bought my copy from a market in London for 99p about ten years ago.

Thank you for posting the soul train video it is is great.

Pat

Last four or five years??? :g:

Social source share

Youth club special,in demand now ?

Must admit, one of the greatest records ever broke and one of my all time faves but yes, I thought I was the only one hallucinating here for a while mate... :thumbup:

Social source share

i must be one of the few people who detest this record then ! i cant stand the bloody thing,i dont know why exactly but it does f***k all for me,never did, just having a little rant,sorry bout that

jason

No probs mate , but I bet you've been hating it for a lot longer than 4 or 5 years!..... :yes::D

Social source share

Anyone know this version........a quite credible UK release from '88.....

Tony Stone "Love Don't Come No Stronger"

Ian D :D

It's in my refo-collection,white 12" it's ok !!

Social source share

i must be one of the few people who detest this record then ! i cant stand the bloody thing,i dont know why exactly but it does f***k all for me,never did, just having a little rant,sorry bout that

jason

That's an interesting perspective - it does work best with the video clip and he looks as though he's really into it and believes he's got a hit on his hands - I think he produced the track and may have co written it? It's an unusual production from the point of view that for 1975 it's non disco and sounds earlier. There's definately some cool moves going on in the clip both on stage and on the floor. The Toney Stone is a very sympathetic cover and as has been said, it's OK.

Social source share

At the time he was talking about taking the brothers on the road, also re recording 'One For The Road' as a group, he had his own studio at the time, it never came to anything.....mind you any promoter even now would have an amazing show on thier hands if they could get that show to the UK, especially with the stuff they wrote too...I'm thinking Jackie Wilson amongst others..

Social source share

It's been played as a an indemander for the last 4 or 5 years but what a record and what a video from Soul train. I bought my copy from a market in London for 99p about ten years ago.

Thank you for posting the soul train video it is is great.

Pat

Just won this on ebay - as I expected, did have to pay alot more than you did (£29.00 ) :shhh:, but it's a UK demo in excellent condition apparently!

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Just won this on ebay - as I expected, did have to pay alot more than you did (£29.00 ) :shhh:, but it's a UK demo in excellent condition apparently!

Good for you!! You should also check Call Me on Epic (should set you back £30-£40 depending on condition) and L ove Loanreleased as a 45 on the Expansion label (was originally album only) and yes the Perry brothers had a great deal to do wit Jackie Wilsons Beautiful Day album. In fact the Perry names turn up quite a bit on the Brunswick label.

Jeff did a few more singles for Arista most noteworthy being Unforgettable Person

Social source share

Anyone know this version........a quite credible UK release from '88.....

Tony Stone "Love Don't Come No Stronger"

Ian D :D

i have both versions....try to alternate which version i play if im asked for it

moldie

Social source share

Its not bad, but Jeff Perry is much better.....

Russ

Good for you!! You should also check Call Me on Epic (should set you back £30-£40 depending on condition) and L ove Loanreleased as a 45 on the Expansion label (was originally album only) and yes the Perry brothers had a great deal to do wit Jackie Wilsons Beautiful Day album. In fact the Perry names turn up quite a bit on the Brunswick label.

Jeff did a few more singles for Arista most noteworthy being Unforgettable Person

I was asking him if the mythical writers demos existed for the BD LP...........now that would be a find !!!.......he would neither confirm nor deny......wernt the Perry brothers house writers for Chess too ?

Russ

Social source share

Russ

I was asking him if the mythical writers demos existed for the BD LP...........now that would be a find !!!.......he would neither confirm nor deny......wernt the Perry brothers house writers for Chess too ?

Russ

There's a G Perry D Perry Z Perry and L Perry writer credits on a lot of records I think The Adventurers Easy Baby is credited to one or all of them

Social source share

There's a G Perry D Perry Z Perry and L Perry writer credits on a lot of records I think The Adventurers Easy Baby is credited to one or all of them

theres even a fred perry

moldie

Social source share

When this came out, I absolutely loved it. Maybe it was appreciated up north but in london it was dismissed as retro. It was massive in the eighties, anthemic, but as with so many others it was played to death. If I heard it today for the FIRST time it would probably blow my mind but it's so cheesy now it's become unpalatable. Memories make it great though, and seeing the man sing it acapella totally clinched it for me.

Social source share

Russ

You mean it literally pisses all over it RUSS....Why anybody could play this version over the original is totally mystifying, sounds like RICK ASTLEY on helium!!....Kind of think there might be some historical relevance in there though, could not have been to many more UK attempts at covering records that were big on the Soul scene here, after 1988... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Russ

You mean it literally pisses all over it RUSS....Why anybody could play this version over the original is totally mystifying, sounds like RICK ASTLEY on helium!!....Kind of think there might be some historical relevance in there though, could not have been to many more UK attempts at covering records that were big on the Soul scene here, after 1988... :hatsoff2:

When this came out, I absolutely loved it. Maybe it was appreciated up north but in london it was dismissed as retro. It was massive in the eighties, anthemic, but as with so many others it was played to death. If I heard it today for the FIRST time it would probably blow my mind but it's so cheesy now it's become unpalatable. Memories make it great though, and seeing the man sing it acapella totally clinched it for me.

SHAY played this bigtime in the south end of 70s, turn of 80s and it was an enormous record in Southampton/Bournemouth areas, one of the biggest, if not the biggest of the era on the South Coast...Still a brilliant record, all you have to do is not play it for a couple of months and it still hits you...Pure quaity all round, can't ever insult this record by calling it 'cheese', it is simply an time great Soul record especially for dancers.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I was being polite :lol: ........for once !!!

Best Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert