Poll: Your Night Out

Chalky

Your Night Out  

1. 1. Do you care whether the DJ plays originals or bootlegs?

• Original vinyl only
    • Don't care
  2. 2. Do you care about the music on your night out?

• Happy to hear the same records on a regular basis....the top 500 as they are known.
    • Want to hear new discoveries, unknowns, lesser knowns, underplayed and forgotten along with quality classics.
    • Don't care
    • A mixture of oldies and newies/lesser played
  3. 3. Would you happily pay the entrance fee knowing full well a DJ will be playing bootlegs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes but would prefer to hear originals

just a question,?How can you hear originals!!!!!surely if you only hear a record you dont know whether it's an Original or a copy(so called Boot).so you would have to "See" the record. so if your only interested in "SEEING" Records to verify the authenticity of said tune your only interested in the Vinyl not the music.ipso facto a collector of vinyl/train spotter etc not a soul music fan.!!

dont know why i replied to this totaly banal topic ,had lap top on my knee scanning soul source.whilst watching

the football.

Well, for many it is rather like going to an art gallery and wanting to see the real deal rather then a copy of the original art work, or watching footy preferalby in the stadion, having a german car made in germany, buying traditional english products made in england, seeing the original line up of ones favourite band rather than a cover band in a pub.... They may sound exactly the same but.....it's not the real deal... oh and yes it is pretty much tradition of the the soul scene since day one!! But each to their own !! :thumbsup:

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

oooooh,! i've been there since 1965 and yes it is nice to see & collect original records as i do & have done since I was 14 Yrrs of age

but it does not stop me dancing to a tune because it's not on the original label and no it's not it's not a tradition it's a preference.

And please look up the spelling of "PREFERALBY & STADION" before your next post.L.O.L !!!.

Social source share

in view of the poll that Carms suggested i think there ought be another option that says 'do you ever dj'. it seems to me that the majority of people that comment on these threads are those that DJ .... Carms was suggesting a poll for those who are punters (dancers). Although DJ's attend events as dancers too, i would be more interested if they left the voting to those who dont DJ at all .......

There would be no one left to take part in the poll.

Social source share

oooooh,! i've been there since 1965 and yes it is nice to see & collect original records as i do & have done since I was 14 Yrrs of age

but it does not stop me dancing to a tune because it's not on the original label and no it's not it's not a tradition it's a preference.

And please look up the spelling of "PREFERALBY & STADION" before your next post.L.O.L !!!.

Give the guy a break he's German.........don't know about you but my German spelling is far worse than his English.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

also i must add that i do know of at least 3 events that dont mind djs playing the odd boot but wont say it out loud just incase it gets a bad name and peeps wont turn up which results in lesser numbers and for some poeple atmosphere and lets not forget the money, in my way of thinking that is so wrong in itself BECAUSE, the peeps they dont want to put off are the soul snobs that sit there stroking their chin all night talking matrix numbers and the very same people that come on here and do nothing but moan and whinge and whine and argue but prefer to call it debating who really only want that one simple thing when they go out to enjoy a night on our amazing scene and that is ORIGINAL VYNIL, yes they dont mind playing of boots but they dont want to shout it out so they just avoid it by saying nothing, is that right or is that wrong :g:

It's wrong, but the reason the promoter keeps quiet is they haven't got the balls to say anything to the DJ. Don't want to upset anyone and risk loosing money. What you describe in your earlier post is exactly what the scene is. One big social scene, with music in the background. So called upfront all nighters that are only on 4 times a year. How the f**k can you make a record popular when the punters never hear it. And everyone on here attends events that play boots, and turns a blind eye because it's just a social night.

That's why all this OVO subject is a load of bollocks, because no one really cares. The only people who could stop it are the promoters. But if they did, nobody would turn up.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

quinvy, love your avatar, but love the label more, its the way the green and blue almost looks luminous against that black background,, yet is impossible to capture on film .

this ones for you xxx

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Well, for many it is rather like going to an art gallery and wanting to see the real deal rather then a copy of the original art work, or watching footy preferalby in the stadion, having a german car made in germany, buying traditional english products made in england, seeing the original line up of ones favourite band rather than a cover band in a pub.... They may sound exactly the same but.....it's not the real deal... oh and yes it is pretty much tradition of the the soul scene since day one!! But each to their own !! :thumbsup:

"Sounds like a golf" ?
Social source share

It's wrong, but the reason the promoter keeps quiet is they haven't got the balls to say anything to the DJ. Don't want to upset anyone and risk loosing money. What you describe in your earlier post is exactly what the scene is. One big social scene, with music in the background. So called upfront all nighters that are only on 4 times a year. How the f**k can you make a record popular when the punters never hear it. And everyone on here attends events that play boots, and turns a blind eye because it's just a social night.

That's why all this OVO subject is a load of bollocks, because no one really cares. The only people who could stop it are the promoters. But if they did, nobody would turn up.

summed it up in one Phil, i agree it is down to the promoters but quite a few promoters play boots themselves so there is never going to be an end to it and some of the venues that paly boots have brilliant attendances, srtange wqorld of the soul scene

Social source share

Yes boots, re-issues have always been played, peoples knowledge has also improved, back in the day it was hard to tell on a lot of copies is this an original or not, how many people got ripped off and still do with copies.

We still have members posting pics and matrix numbers, stamps and other info on a daily basis to distinguish if they have an original or boot, or they spot a sale on E-bay and need some info about the record.

Even the experts have got it wrong at times, a lot of DJs will have played boots at times unaware they were doing so. :thumbsup:

Social source share

That very true Tone , ( said in a two Ronnies style ) I have known the best of dealers get caught out when selling something as an orignalwhen it is in fact a very good copy , unless you are an anorak you won't know if its an original , issue or boot when it is playing that is ...well unless its obvious and it has no label or one that says ...F.......k off and mind your own business ( I have seen these ) lol some are very rude and show ladies in lets say not very savory positions . The other thing you could do is have John Manships guide fixed under your arm wherever you may go or have the priveledged position of having a mate that is besotted with numbers and a photographic memory.

Now things are changing the screens are coming ! so everyone can see what is on the turntable . I have seen these applied at Phils do's ( Stockport) and also they are in play at Goldsoul events , you know the big halls .... so I guess promoters are trying to take a step in the "original direction" the rest us up to the punter really.

Edited by Carms
Social source share

Social source share

O.K. THEN.If the anoraks that are demanding to now see the records played on the turntables.here is the answer.!

If they are willing to club together and supply all the d.j.s with an openended account at their local banks & source

records from 40/50 yrs ago then i'm sure they will be able to "SEE & HEAR"(AND TOUCH IF THEY WANT!!)all the

rarities they could wish for.(tounge well in cheek)??

We would all like to own and play originals but our bank accounts dont allow us to so please get a life, just enjoy

the music on whatever format at the venue & play your originals if you have them at home.!

Social source share

O.K. THEN.If the anoraks that are demanding to now see the records played on the turntables.here is the answer.!

If they are willing to club together and supply all the d.j.s with an openended account at their local banks & source

records from 40/50 yrs ago then i'm sure they will be able to "SEE & HEAR"(AND TOUCH IF THEY WANT!!)all the

rarities they could wish for.(tounge well in cheek)??

We would all like to own and play originals but our bank accounts dont allow us to so please get a life, just enjoy

the music on whatever format at the venue & play your originals if you have them at home.!

Hi Campy :wave: first of all chill out man , nobody is demanding anything , we are just having a debate horses for courses what suits some wont suit others so accept everyones view and have a happy Sunday :thumbup: Some like to look at labels , my opinion is it does look cool when the Dj is up there playing those sounds and you see those big A's on a green stateside demo wizzing around It adds to the vibe , but yes I take your point not everyone can do this which is why I said tthat its happening in the BIG HALLS ....it would be silly to suggest all soul do's should or would operate in this manner.

And I do have a life ... a bloody great one thank you :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Campy :wave: first of all chill out man , nobody is demanding anything , we are just having a debate horses for courses what suits some wont suit others so accept everyones view and have a happy Sunday :thumbup: Some like to look at labels , my opinion is it does look cool when the Dj is up there playing those sounds and you see those big A's on a green stateside demo wizzing around It adds to the vibe , but yes I take your point not everyone can do this which is why I said tthat its happening in the BIG HALLS ....it would be silly to suggest all soul do's should or would operate in this manner.

And I do have a life ... a bloody great one thank you :thumbsup:

Second issues surely............... :g:

Social source share

That very true Tone , ( said in a two Ronnies style ) I have known the best of dealers get caught out when selling something as an orignalwhen it is in fact a very good copy , unless you are an anorak you won't know if its an original , issue or boot when it is playing that is ...well unless its obvious and it has no label or one that says ...F.......k off and mind your own business ( I have seen these ) lol some are very rude and show ladies in lets say not very savory positions . The other thing you could do is have John Manships guide fixed under your arm wherever you may go or have the priveledged position of having a mate that is besotted with numbers and a photographic memory.

Now things are changing the screens are coming ! so everyone can see what is on the turntable . I have seen these applied at Phils do's ( Stockport) and also they are in play at Goldsoul events , you know the big halls .... so I guess promoters are trying to take a step in the "original direction" the rest us up to the punter really.

The one I got stung on as a youngster :D was the Yum Yums, even with videos showing the decks you'd not know the difference. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Time to wind this poll up I think. It would appear the vast majority wish to hear original vinyl only on their night out by a majority of 3 to 1. It would also appear two thirds would like to hear something new alongside quality oldies. I wonder if promoters take any notice of these statistics?

• Helpful 1
Social source share