50 Key Landmark Moments In Northern Soul History

Mike

Have to agree with Scunny Jack, Cleethorpes Pier Nighter starting, Winter Gardens closing & being torn down, it's still a big hole in the ground now, for obvious reasons the forward thinking music policy & the people. Messers Levine & Curtis opening our ears & mines to a different kind of soul music & leading the way from 1973 onwards(When we started going there), Wigan for opening so we didn't have to travel 6 hours to the Mecca & return straight home but the 3 most stand out moments for me were; New York Soul trip, Gail singing "Job Opening" with Sammy Campbell & the Del Larks outside the Hilton sports bar & then The Del Larks singing "Happy Birthday" in the middle of their set to our Gary on his 50th Birthday, finally watching Mel Britt write in the Motown visitors book how much he enjoyed their music & it's influence on him, after that seeing him get to his feet in the Memphis Smoke diner & sing along to "She'll come running back" with a backing band of the entire trip & a standing ovation,grown men wept, you just couldn't write it.

Take car, be safe & remember," I woke early one morning, looking around for my love, your sweet voice I didn't hear",

Spot. :shades:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Have to agree with Scunny Jack, Cleethorpes Pier Nighter starting, Winter Gardens closing & being torn down, it's still a big hole in the ground now, for obvious reasons the forward thinking music policy & the people. Messers Levine & Curtis opening our ears & mines to a different kind of soul music & leading the way from 1973 onwards(When we started going there), Wigan for opening so we didn't have to travel 6 hours to the Mecca & return straight home but the 3 most stand out moments for me were; New York Soul trip, Gail singing "Job Opening" with Sammy Campbell & the Del Larks outside the Hilton sports bar & then The Del Larks singing "Happy Birthday" in the middle of their set to our Gary on his 50th Birthday, finally watching Mel Britt write in the Motown visitors book how much he enjoyed their music & it's influence on him, after that seeing him get to his feet in the Memphis Smoke diner & sing along to "She'll come running back" with a backing band of the entire trip & a standing ovation,grown men wept, you just couldn't write it.

Take car, be safe & remember," I woke early one morning, looking around for my love, your sweet voice I didn't hear",

Spot. :shades:

Damn Yeah! Great memories! FANTASTICO!

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest eringobrath1965

22nd October 2011 ....The Brothers Of Soul Live @ Coventry

and for some of us lucky ones the pre-show meal the night before :) .

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, in answer to the earier post I did have the first northern site on the net. It was 1993 and designed on my trusty 286pc using my free webspace from compuserve. Not long after came a fella in germany called hannes and there was also yoni and his "soul of the web" site. I used scans of my old wigan badges as the wallpaper behind the text lol.

I also believe (but could be wrong) that I did the very first dedicated northern soul radio programme back in May 1994. It was my first broadcast of "valley Radio" and was broadcast on 1386khz medium wave and went out every week.

Happy days lol

Social source share

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

The event in the Smoke Lounge in Detroit with Mel Britt in attendance deserves a landmark event tag all of it's own too. In my top 5 'soul moments' ever. :thumbup: FANTASTICO!

Regards,

Dave

agree 100% on the mel britt moment in detroit dave .......my fave moment of all time :yes: .....

Social source share

The day this was shown on TV.....

The reason (if you need one after watching it) it just confirms what many have known for years, ie that the whole scene is now just an embarressing joke.

The whole scene? You clearly don't get out mate.

I'd like to mention the emergence of John Manship's price guides. They certainly changed the landscape of record collecting, for better or worse. I'd also vote for him in record dealer terms. His lists in the second half of the 70s were instrumental in my early record collecting and I'll thank him for that, as will others I imagine.

Social source share

• 6 months later...

lets have a go at seeing if can come up with 50 key moments in the history of northern

no dramas or reasons (or lengthy rules) just a friday may be a worthwhile thing punt

if try and do it in a one at a time, no more than two per member per day

and use a format of date, the event and reason format

then may end up with a interesting thread....

date:

event:

reason:

over to you.... :thumbsup:

1969 - the UK's love affair with soul music becomes a national trend forcing UK labels to re-issue records from the early to mid sixties :

Fascinations Statside/Sue

Spellbinders CBS/Direction

TMG later numbers - re-issues

Doris Troy CP/Toast

etc. etc.

Proving without doubt that the UK soul scene is (was) driven from the grassroots.

Social source share

1969 - the UK's love affair with soul music becomes a national trend forcing UK labels to re-issue records from the early to mid sixties :

Fascinations Statside/Sue

Spellbinders CBS/Direction

TMG later numbers - re-issues

Doris Troy CP/Toast

etc. etc.

Proving without doubt that the UK soul scene is (was) driven from the grassroots.

Hi Chris, I'd actually move it a couple of years later to mid 1971 for Fascinations on Mojo, the Tams 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me' on Probe, Tami Lynn on Mojo, Elgins on Tamla, Velvelettes on Tamla as I think they were "Old Soul" and Northern Soul's first hits whereas the others were more in-demand 60s soul reissued for soul fans in general rather than the new Up North Soul Scene: discuss! Ady

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Chris, I'd actually move it a couple of years later to mid 1971 for Fascinations on Mojo, the Tams 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me' on Probe, Tami Lynn on Mojo, Elgins on Tamla, Velvelettes on Tamla as I think they were "Old Soul" and Northern Soul's first hits whereas the others were more in-demand 60s soul reissued for soul fans in general rather than the new Up North Soul Scene: discuss! Ady

I would put 1969 as the "departure date" there was an awful lot of re-releases back then, as the US turned away from Stax/Atlantic & Motownesque to protest tunes. I remember pouring over a UK releases book at our local record store and ordering stuff, I now realise they were not the original mid sixties issues. I would love to start/have a list of original UK releases and their subsequent re-release before Mojo & Contempo stuff. NS didn't happen overnight, it was a ground swell, all that I know tells me its origins can be dated to 1969.

Chris

ps : the Contempo release of Johnny Williams plays a damn sight better than that hissy Bashie.............. :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

But were the 1969 re-releases driven by Northern fans or British soul fans in general. The scene hadn't become so categorised by then and the (what would be) Northern scene was genuinely tiny, I doubt whether there were more than 2-3000 who knew about all nighters and "sounds" then; not enough to influence London record companies and I don't think even Dave Godin had realised the growth of the movement in early 1969 had he?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was gradual but I think the pop success of 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me' by the Tams, issued mid 1971, was very influential and awakened some A&R men to the potential of back-catalogue things such as Tami Lynn (reissued later 1971) etc.

Even though they were both mid '60s recordings they didn't sound very different (at least to me at the time) to new releases such as 'Where Did Our Love Go' by Donnie Elbert and pop hits from the previous year such as 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' by Chairmen Of The Board and 'Band Of Gold' by Freda Payne (to name just a couple of obvious examples) so they had strong potential for national radio.

I bought all those kind of things when I was 12 or 13 and of course I didn't know that some of them were already five or six years old and I didn't know about any club soul scene other than the local youth club disco etc. To me these were all new releases aimed at the general public and they were heavily played on national radio and TOTP and on every juke box in town.

So I'd say summer 1971 was a key moment, especially for someone my age who was too young to be aware of The Wheel etc.

It wasn't 'northern soul', it was just soul and pop music.

And, by the way, I really miss those days.

:wink:

Paul

P.S. Another example is Curtis Mayfield's 'Move On Up' which was also issued here in mid 1971 and was a giant pop hit.

Edited by Paul
Social source share

But were the 1969 re-releases driven by Northern fans or British soul fans in general. The scene hadn't become so categorised by then and the (what would be) Northern scene was genuinely tiny, I doubt whether there were more than 2-3000 who knew about all nighters and "sounds" then; not enough to influence London record companies and I don't think even Dave Godin had realised the growth of the movement in early 1969 had he?

Whatever it was Ady it was a fascinating period all the same, all these people not knowing each other, all trying to get records that were

"out of print".......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

It was gradual but I think the pop success of 'Hey Girl Don't Bother Me' by the Tams, issued mid 1971, was very influential and awakened some A&R men to the potential of back-catalogue things such as Tami Lynn (reissued later 1971) etc. Even though they were both mid '60s recordings they didn't sound very different (at least to me at the time) to new releases such as 'Where Did Our Love Go' by Donnie Elbert and pop hits from the previous year such as 'Give Me Just A Little More Time' by Chairmen Of The Board and 'Band Of Gold' by Freda Payne (to name just a couple of obvious examples) so they had strong potential for national radio. I bought all those kind of things when I was 12 or 13 and of course I didn't know that some of them were already five or six years old and I didn't know about any club soul scene other than the local youth club disco etc. To me these were all new releases aimed at the general public and they were heavily played on national radio and TOTP and on every juke box in town. So I'd say summer 1971 was a key moment, especially for someone my age who was too young to be aware of The Wheel etc. It wasn't 'northern soul', it was just soul and pop music. And, by the way, I really miss those days.

:wink:

Paul

P.S. Another example is Curtis Mayfield's 'Move On Up' which was also issued here in mid 1971 and was a giant pop hit.

Just take a look at the amount of re-issues put in 1969, you can't ignore it/them............ :thumbsup:

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Guest Torch55

With regard to the Dave Godin column, where he asked readers to submit their all time favourite sounds, I too would put it into my own personal top 50 defining moments of the Northern Soul scene. The article appeared in December 1971 and was a lengthy list of the great and the good, complete with readers' place of abode. Apart from the sheer novelty of having these records identified in print, at a time when word of mouth was the Internet of the day, the preponderance of northern mill towns listed as addresses was further evidence of the sub cultural feel of the genre, which was entirely appealing. Places like Accrington and Keighley didn't even have their teams' football results read out on Grandstand, yet here were their citizens extolling the virtues of "In orbit" and Al Kent. I shared their enthusiasm, if not their knowledge, and mentally, and sometimes actually, sang the songs of the records selected, that I knew, as we read the article.

This was a cause of some puzzlement to others back then, as I was working on The Post that Christmas, and another lad, who'd just started frequenting the Catacombs, had brought his "Blues and Soul" into the staff canteen, on the top floor of the GPO depot (now sadly long gone) and we were ticking off known tracks as they appeared in print before setting off on our "round". Even more alluring than the familiar, were those yet to assail our ears, but even their very titles hinted at pleasures to come. "This 'Hit and Run' must be good. It's getting mentions from all over the place". Upon recognition of a choice, a figurative nod of acknowledgement was directed 90 miles up the M6, in appreciation of a discerning taste that had selected Hoagy Lands' "The Next in Line", or The Kittens' "Ain't no more room". From memory, other sounds to get mentions were, "Nothing's worse than being alone" and, "A love reputation" whilst, unheard by me at that time, The Du-ettes' "Every beat of my heart" also merited praise, months before Alan S gave it its Catacombs' debut.

Fellow posties sipped their tea indifferent to our impromptu seminar, but, of course, this was only to be expected and simply confirmed the exclusive character of this musical genre, defined by audience rather than artists. With the article given its initial perusal, it was time to turn to the more mundane task of delivering the Royal Mail, and so I took my leave of Horsley Fields and set off to do my duty to the good folk of Dunstall and Bushbury Lane, with a bag full of letters, but a head full of Northern Soul.

Social source share

With regard to the Dave Godin column, where he asked readers to submit their all time favourite sounds, I too would put it into my own personal top 50 defining moments of the Northern Soul scene. The article appeared in December 1971 and was a lengthy list of the great and the good, complete with readers' place of abode. Apart from the sheer novelty of having these records identified in print, at a time when word of mouth was the Internet of the day, the preponderance of northern mill towns listed as addresses was further evidence of the sub cultural feel of the genre, which was entirely appealing. Places like Accrington and Keighley didn't even have their teams' football results read out on Grandstand, yet here were their citizens extolling the virtues of "In orbit" and Al Kent. I shared their enthusiasm, if not their knowledge, and mentally, and sometimes actually, sang the songs of the records selected, that I knew, as we read the article.

This was a cause of some puzzlement to others back then, as I was working on The Post that Christmas, and another lad, who'd just started frequenting the Catacombs, had brought his "Blues and Soul" into the staff canteen, on the top floor of the GPO depot (now sadly long gone) and we were ticking off known tracks as they appeared in print before setting off on our "round". Even more alluring than the familiar, were those yet to assail our ears, but even their very titles hinted at pleasures to come. "This 'Hit and Run' must be good. It's getting mentions from all over the place". Upon recognition of a choice, a figurative nod of acknowledgement was directed 90 miles up the M6, in appreciation of a discerning taste that had selected Hoagy Lands' "The Next in Line", or The Kittens' "Ain't no more room". From memory, other sounds to get mentions were, "Nothing's worse than being alone" and, "A love reputation" whilst, unheard by me at that time, The Du-ettes' "Every beat of my heart" also merited praise, months before Alan S gave it its Catacombs' debut.

Fellow posties sipped their tea indifferent to our impromptu seminar, but, of course, this was only to be expected and simply confirmed the exclusive character of this musical genre, defined by audience rather than artists. With the article given its initial perusal, it was time to turn to the more mundane task of delivering the Royal Mail, and so I took my leave of Horsley Fields and set off to do my duty to the good folk of Dunstall and Bushbury Lane, with a bag full of letters, but a head full of Northern Soul.

Real nice post that. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I also believe (but could be wrong) that I did the very first dedicated northern soul radio programme back in May 1994. It was my first broadcast of "valley Radio" and was broadcast on 1386khz medium wave and went out every week.

Sorry to say but in that case my weekly show "soulful shoes" predated yours by 5 years :wink:

Having said that I truly believe that there must have been several shows before in the eighties ?

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Sorry to say but in that case my weekly show "soulful shoes" predated yours by 5 years :wink:

Having said that I truly believe that there must have been several shows before in the eighties ?

Not many dedicated to Northern Soul. There were one-off specials like a Radio One documentary on Northern Soul broadcast in 1975. BRMB here in the Midlands always had a Northern spot on their general soul show, I first heard My hang Up Is You and Love Factory on that show. In the 80's Dave Evison had a long running show on Signal FM.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

John Green's "Soul Shotgun" was a weekly, 2 hour, show circa 74 / 75 on Radio Hallam, during the Northern 'Boom Years!'

He played all the Top Northern releases of the day, alongside the 'hot' new releases that were getting plays, 'Boogie Man Orch' 'Ernie Bush' 'Fantastic Puzzles' etc.

A very influential show at the time.

As a matter of interest, just found this snippet from a '75 Dave Godin column in B&S;

John Green of RADIO HALLAM's "Soul Shotgun" fame tells me that he recently conducted a poll amongst his listeners to find out their top favourite Northern Soul Sounds, and we thought you might like to see the results before they go on the air. He will be broadcasting numbers 20-11 inclusive on his show which goes out on October 18th, and numbers 10-1 inclusive on October 25th. Here they are.

1. Larry Williams & Johnny Watson "Too Late"
  2. Eddie Parker "Love You Baby"
  3. Tobi Legend "Time Will Pass You By"
  4. The Invitations "Skiing In The Snow"
  5. Earl Wright "Thumb A Ride"
  6. James Bounty "Prove Your self A Lady'
  7. Major Lance "You Don't Want Me No More"
  8. Dean Parrish "I'm On My Way"
  9. The Carstairs "It Really Hurts Me Girl"
  10. Gloria Jones "Tainted Love"
  11. Eddie Foster "l Never Knew"
  12. Rufus Lumley "I'm Standing"
  13. Jerry Cook "Hurt On The Other Side"
  14. Billy Butler "The Right Track"
  15. Bobby Paris "Night Owl"
  16. George 'Bad' Benson "Super Ship"
  17. Mike Post Coalition "Afternoon Of The Rhino"
  18. Lou Pride "I'm Coming Home In The Morning"
  19. Sam & Kitty "I've Got Something Good"
  20. The Soul Twins "Quick Change Artist"

All well worth listening out for . . .

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

didn't someone called Richard Searling have a radio show as well :yes:

Snooker star Steve davis also had one, Radio Invictus I think.

But unles it was national or you lived within range of the signal you never heard any of them back then.

Hi Chalky,

Richard's 'Soul Source' was a few years after John Green's 'Soul Shotgun' - but it was bloody awesome and certainly landmark Radio for 'Northern' Soul Music in the UK! Still have many of these shows on tape.

I also have all of the Steve Davis shows on tape. Probably 75 - 100 of 'em, and some superb music on there, but this would have been early-mid 90's and with very little 'Northern' interest..

Course, nowadays, everyone's a Radio Star.... lol

:thumbsup:

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Sean,

I know Steve's was early 90's, sure he was doing it when he frequented Thorne?

A mate in Chesterfield had everyone of RS's "Soul Source" on Hallam on tape.

I think Thorne will have still been going at the time Chalks, yes. And Steve did frequent around that time too (He came to Yarmouth also, around the time he was doing the show).

They were a blast 'Interesting Soul' presented in a way that only Steve 'interesting' Davis could!

Wonder who the mate in Ches is that has the Soul Source Recordings? I have many, but couldn't say i have them all. That'd be some collection mate.

Sean

Social source share

as always a wide wide range of suggestions

a few knocking round in my head, first issue of black echoes?, first official cd comp? first boot?, first reissue label, first tailormade, day most expensive 45 sold, first 4fig on ebay

first northern website ?

anyone wanna put the flesh on some of the above or come up with any more...

MIKE,

A really great topic which stirs all sorts of memories and gives plenty of food for thought about the historical value of the soul scene to the way the music has shaped the lives of many.

Although not aware of exact dates the one defining style of soul event has been the soul weekenders. From the early days of some of these being predominently "Northern Classic" events they have evolved over time to offer multiple genres of soul music literally under one very large roof and also provided the oppurtunity for soul fans too see and listen live to the soul artists that inspired soul fans in their younger years.

The likes of Fleetwood and Prestatyn spring to mind as the best and without these i would not have had the wider appreciation of soul music that i now have and these two events have changed my perception of soul music forever.

ROY

Social source share

central pier morecambe 3rd anniversary place was rammed great atmosphere and tunes seems the pier always seems to get over look in things like this. probably my best allnighter i had been to

Just going to the The Pier in Morecambe, long before the nighters was the biz. It was Soul Central anyway the nighters just made it better. U.S. Flat Top and his Soul Promotions at the Pier, not that the advertised acts ever turned up - well not the Supremes anyway (coach broke down -in Detroit ). The nighters were awesome but as a local I had grown up in the town and heard my first real Northern sounds there. Best Soul night with atmos in Morecambe (and in my memory ever) was the Empire - everyone dancing on tables. Was it Tops or Isleys live ? Second best but weird was Tommy Hunt doing a summer season in Morecambe and having magical nights with him in the Bath hotel then him doing his cabaret act at the bubble or whatever it was called followed by late night soul sessions at the Carleton......... with Tommy Hunt !

Taff

Edited by Saxafone
Social source share

central pier morecambe 3rd anniversary place was rammed great atmosphere and tunes seems the pier always seems to get over look in things like this. probably my best allnighter i had been to

Not tryin' to say "are you sure" but if one M.Pier nighter is to stand out then it has to be the 2nd Anniversary? the place was on rails all night, the 3rd??

Anyways i could be wrong, i often am.

The sad untimely and sudden loss to the scene that was Pete Lawson......f**k me we used to have a ball.

Oddfellows 2nd Anniversary - OMG!! you had to be there - as a side issue it also placed Keb. D. firmly at the top of the DJ standings on that night.

Whoever first played the Profs - Look At You

Social source share

Guest DaveSwift

i would move it back a year to 1968 for reissues of Doris Troy/Edwin Starr/Bob&Earl/Isleys etc

Social source share

• 3 years later...
On 9/30/2011 at 06:56, mike said:

lets have a go at seeing if can come up with 50 key moments in the history of northern

no dramas or reasons (or lengthy rules) just a friday may be a worthwhile thing punt

date:

event:

reason:

5 years on...

did we ever get to 50 ?

recount/restart?

Social source share

• 5 years later...
On 30/09/2011 at 06:56, Mike said:

date:

event:

reason:

Almost 10 years since this topic went up...

Any new ones since then or any new additions?

Social source share

On 03/10/2011 at 08:56, Daved said:

Feb 1997 - First Togetherness allnighter at the Kings Hall, Stoke opens, attracting more than 1500 people.

The line-up includes the top DJs in the country at that time in both northern and modern soul rooms. It was the start of a new type of brand of northern soul spawning weekenders and CD compilations. It attracted a huge number of returnees to the scene and also led to the continuation of popular oldies events. The modern room was great while it lasted!

Dave and its the 25th anniversary in a few weeks time. Omg  where did that quarter of a century go. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Last ten years 

BOLTON lets do it again 

Burnley All Nighter  Kestral Suite 

Bury Town Hall 

Rugby 

SKEGNESS 

100 CLUB 

TOGETHERNESS WEEKENDERS BLACKPOOL FESTIVAL 

NUNEATON 

GO GO Children Bristol 

LEEDS EMPTY BOTTLES  -WARDROBE 

Bury VAN    

BVAN the virtual nighter that for the last 16 months has been a home for the all nighter crowd every week 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Many of these "landmark" moments will not be remembered for posterity like the Torch, Wheel, Wigan, Cleethorpes, Mecca, Stafford & 100 Club etc.  Very few if any since have left an indelible mark on the scene. They have by and large been a continuation of what went before, popular yes/maybe but hardly ground breaking.  

You could probably add the rise of weekenders, Yarmouth, Cleethorpes, Southport, the advent of the CD, game changer for the industry whether we like it or not.

Sorry if this sounds a bit brutal but that is the way I see it.  

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 03/10/2011 at 08:56, Daved said:

Feb 1997 - First Togetherness allnighter at the Kings Hall, Stoke opens, attracting more than 1500 people.

The line-up includes the top DJs in the country at that time in both northern and modern soul rooms. It was the start of a new type of brand of northern soul spawning weekenders and CD compilations. It attracted a huge number of returnees to the scene and also led to the continuation of popular oldies events. The modern room was great while it lasted!

It wasn't the start of anything, it was an oldies night and taking the best of what was already around.  Weekenders started their rise 10 years before.  They might have been popular nights but they were hardly landmark or indeed ground breaking.  That isn't to diss the promotion either, had some great nights there over the years but it offered nothing new.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Martin L said:

Last ten years 

BOLTON lets do it again 

Burnley All Nighter  Kestral Suite 

Bury Town Hall 

Rugby 

SKEGNESS 

100 CLUB 

TOGETHERNESS WEEKENDERS BLACKPOOL FESTIVAL 

NUNEATON 

GO GO Children Bristol 

LEEDS EMPTY BOTTLES  -WARDROBE 

Bury VAN    

BVAN the virtual nighter that for the last 16 months has been a home for the all nighter crowd every week 

Lifeline IMO paved the way for a few of those clubs.  The scene was in the doldrums, going nowhere and Lifeline gave it the lick up the arse it needed.  The rest simply followed suit in time.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

the advent of the CD, game changer for the industry whether we like it or not. 

Guess we could add digital/downloads.

BVAN certainly left its mark the last 18 months, one of if not the first to stream, then the rise of the virtual Dj. 

Social source share

Lifeline was really special in taking a stand - Pete was really pissed off with the moron lowest common denominator oldies and stodgy third rate unknowns at the time and, sure I was over-egging its potential, I practically had to drag him kicking and screaming to the first one. Once there he couldn't get his head round why nowhere else was doing it really properly like that - and wanted to know where all these PROPER soulies had popped up from????? Sadly as Pete's health was already failing then and business pressures came into play we didn't make it to many - but loved them when we did. Dx

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 2
Social source share

Read this thread with interest the new millennium will be landmarked hopefully by the vast amount of brilliant unissued 45s hitting the scene . 

Also perhaps the first £100k soul record and maybe the rise of the slower soul /Sweet movement ie Sunday Soul etc .  

Agree with Karl re Lifeline the rare scene would of disappeared up its own arse if it wasn’t for that brilliant nighter leading the way . It also influenced so many smaller soul venues who were willing to keep them principles going in one form or the other ? 
Shame the Wilton Ballroom does not get a mention it certainly had it moments but will probably be only remembered by the hardcore that visited monthly . It certainly broke a lot of sounds for us collectors .

The biggest landmark for me is how northern soul has become almost a cultural phenomenon with films podcasts world recognition , not necessarily a good thing but certainly may of benefited some of the artistes that got some dues second or third times round with their music been licensed again etc .  
One thing is certain is it’s still finding a way to recreate its self and as us old knackers pass I hope the goodness of friendship is renewed , it should never be a cock waving scene with silly prices dominating conversation it should always be a going out scene where you get a real buzz discovering fresh black music with mates you have known most of your life .  

Edited by Baz Atkinson
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Dells. Their one and only UK appearance at Trentham Gardens nighter in July 1999 must be up there with key landmark moments.  

And due to the recent Covid pandemic.  BVAN the virtual nighter that for the last 16 months has been a sanity saver. Surely the start of it  it will go down as a landmark moment 

The Dells was the ultimate for so many people good shout pal . 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!