Larry Clinton -(Ebay)- Wonder What This'll Fetch?

MrsWoodsrules

Surely not a lot more than is already on it .... the crack is the issue as far as I'm concerned....Great record to own granted but that little1/3in :g: crack would rent my nut every time I played it .....

And styrene (in my experience) once poorly tends to decline....

I will wait for a nice VG copy :wink:

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Half a dozen different bidders competing with each other too, I thought the crack & general condition would at least keep it down to 3 figures. Could be a non-NS collector though like the story Kev Murphy told me a few years ago - bloke came up to him with GBP8K in an envelope for his red issue. Turned out he was just a rare record colector - any genre. Kev declined.

Cheers.......Pete

Social source share

Can we be a bit more specific and give a little more info either in the topic title or in the original post then at least people know what link the are going to. Many will have already seen the listing and be watching so no need to follow the link.

Sorry Chalky, will do in future.

Someone on here saying only yesterday that it's a bearish market for soul records, imagine what a red issue would make. (not cracked & trashed).

Social source share

Surely not a lot more than is already on it .... the crack is the issue as far as I'm concerned....Great record to own granted but that little1/3in :g: crack would rent my nut every time I played it .....

And styrene (in my experience) once poorly tends to decline....

I will wait for a nice VG copy :wink:

larry clinton is pressed in vinyl not styrene

Social source share

The red issue on ebay a while back sold for $6767...which for a record with three known copies compared to the price of some others seemed a little cheap. Maybe the more occasional availability of the demo detracted from the price.

The dollar value mid may 2010 when the red issue sold was 1.4321 USD (19 May 2010) it's lowest rate apparently.

Social source share

Can't help chuckling to myself,time and time again we're told that prices are dropping,it's all finnished this record game.. then shock and amazement when 45's make above and beyond "the doom and gloom estimates" ....

P.s

I wonder if people who covet this "Rare soul " collecting of original vinyl actually know about the 50yr rule :g:

The rule that states VINYL only has a 50yr life span and then starts to disintegrate rapidly :wicked:

Social source share

I don't see prices coming down as particularly contributing to an air of "doom and gloom". Cheaper prices means the buyer can afford more records.

Doom and gloom perhaps if the collector is bothered about the value of the collection they already have. Personally Im not.

There's no doubt in my mind that demand and prices are not at the peak they were say back in 2005 but there are always exceptions. Actually not quite right, there is strong demand but peak prices are harder to get.

I don't think this sale highlights any up or down trend. Without wishing to be too critical I think the buyer is a bloody imbecile.

ROD

Social source share

For what its worth Rod...I would go as far as to say..we are in a dj phase .

By which i mean,there are more dj's purchasing now than actual record collectors.

So many big records changing hands in sales and being listed by members who are moving on records that are not spares,but things they no longer require or desire to play.

People buying records on ebay that are not in the best condition but play ok to dj with .

Records going up in price cos they are en vogue ,others losing value cos they aren't ?

Swapping..Trading etc etc...surely a serious collector would not let a 45 go unless it was a spare ??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There you go. Now stay away from it. You've got enough to do repairing cracked records without having to go into the wider world of getting VG- 45s to look like they're brand new.

speaking of people getting VG- (or probably "G") 45s to look like they're brand new, I had this interaction recently with an ebay seller. I'm censoring his user name.

Dear ,

Hi. I received this record today. It was FAR from what was described. Your

description said "Vinyl: VG++ (no scratches or scuffs)". Actually there

were deep scratches visible on both sides of the disc. Additionally, the

record has been polished to hide / dull down the scratches. This is not the

first polished record I have gotten from you, the last record I got from

you by Ex-Ta-C was extremely overgraded, it was polished and played

crackly. That is an extremely shady practice that does nothing to improve

the playing of the record and only serves to hide the bad condition of the

record. It's also totally visible to anybody who knows what a polished

record looks like. It also did not even hide the deep scratches on this

record, which were still visible (although slightly duller), despite you

saying that there were no scratches. Ideally you should not polish 45s and

instead grade them honestly, however, you should at least disclose it if

you do. Thank you.

-boba.

Dear boba.,

Hello,

You know what? You are exactly correct. I should have disclosed the

records as polished. I didn't think of it as being deceitful, but you're

right, it is. The records looked clean and I must admit that I did not

play-grade them. I am willing to refund your money in full if that is your

request. Please let me know.

Dear ,

Your reply is disarming ... I will not leave any feedback. I don't need a

refund. Thank you.

-boba.

------------

a day later I actually played the record (it was something I already had and bought for the label variation) and found it was literally unplayable. i got mad all over again and sent the next message.

-----------

Dear ,

I just tried playing this record. It was totally unplayable, the noise

overwhelms the music. I don't understand how you could possibly claim what

you are doing is not deceitful. I'm sure you're very aware of how you're

ripping people off and misrepresenting records.

-boba.

Dear boba.,

Hi Bob,

I just issued you a full refund for the Good Good People 45. No

need to return it. Other than saying I'm sorry, I 'm not sure what else I

can do.

Best regards.

Social source share

I'd noticed that Nev.

I can understand getting rid of stuff they're no longer keen on as tastes change or a financial crisis but I am bemused by the "time to move on/freshen up from playbox" line. However I put most of that down to the price of records. Yes you can get something for peanuts if you're lucky or put the work in but let's face it if it's good it's gonna be expensive.

Im not going to say to you I have a 45 that sounds as good as or better than anything currently played but it's £50 cos no one plays it. Im gonna want thousands. Anyone wanting to be at the top must be shelling out hand over fist unless they have contacts [who are oblivious to prices] or going regularly to US.

ROD

Social source share

For what its worth Rod...I would go as far as to say..we are in a dj phase .

By which i mean,there are more dj's purchasing now than actual record collectors.

So many big records changing hands in sales and being listed by members who are moving on records that are not spares,but things they no longer require or desire to play.

People buying records on ebay that are not in the best condition but play ok to dj with .

Records going up in price cos they are en vogue ,others losing value cos they aren't ?

Swapping..Trading etc etc...surely a serious collector would not let a 45 go unless it was a spare ??

..or to fund something else Nev.Self funding collecting? Anyway,i'm off into "Wants" now...what with prices being competitive.

Social source share

speaking of people getting VG- (or probably "G") 45s to look like they're brand new, I had this interaction recently with an ebay seller. I'm censoring his user name.

Dear ,

Hi. I received this record today. It was FAR from what was described. Your

description said "Vinyl: VG++ (no scratches or scuffs)". Actually there

were deep scratches visible on both sides of the disc. Additionally, the

record has been polished to hide / dull down the scratches. This is not the

first polished record I have gotten from you, the last record I got from

you by Ex-Ta-C was extremely overgraded, it was polished and played

crackly. That is an extremely shady practice that does nothing to improve

the playing of the record and only serves to hide the bad condition of the

record. It's also totally visible to anybody who knows what a polished

record looks like. It also did not even hide the deep scratches on this

record, which were still visible (although slightly duller), despite you

saying that there were no scratches. Ideally you should not polish 45s and

instead grade them honestly, however, you should at least disclose it if

you do. Thank you.

-boba.

Dear boba.,

Hello,

You know what? You are exactly correct. I should have disclosed the

records as polished. I didn't think of it as being deceitful, but you're

right, it is. The records looked clean and I must admit that I did not

play-grade them. I am willing to refund your money in full if that is your

request. Please let me know.

Dear ,

Your reply is disarming ... I will not leave any feedback. I don't need a

refund. Thank you.

-boba.

------------

a day later I actually played the record (it was something I already had and bought for the label variation) and found it was literally unplayable. i got mad all over again and sent the next message.

-----------

Dear ,

I just tried playing this record. It was totally unplayable, the noise

overwhelms the music. I don't understand how you could possibly claim what

you are doing is not deceitful. I'm sure you're very aware of how you're

ripping people off and misrepresenting records.

-boba.

Dear boba.,

Hi Bob,

I just issued you a full refund for the Good Good People 45. No

need to return it. Other than saying I'm sorry, I 'm not sure what else I

can do.

Best regards.

Got to agree Bob ,it really is greedy and bad practice,anyone who cares about vinyl would never polish,skim them-they come as they come and that's that.

Social source share

I'd noticed that Nev.

I can understand getting rid of stuff they're no longer keen on as tastes change or a financial crisis but I am bemused by the "time to move on/freshen up from playbox" line. However I put most of that down to the price of records. Yes you can get something for peanuts if you're lucky or put the work in but let's face it if it's good it's gonna be expensive.

Im not going to say to you I have a 45 that sounds as good as or better than anything currently played but it's £50 cos no one plays it. Im gonna want thousands. Anyone wanting to be at the top must be shelling out hand over fist unless they have contacts [who are oblivious to prices] or going regularly to US.

ROD

Yes tend to agree with the "freshen up" point ,if you're a collector there's no logic to that,you buy it to keep it..never ever buy tunes to dj with ! Not sure how the top dj's do it but ive only found in the last 3-4 years a couple of new things that i think are good enough to play out - one was less than £20 and the other less than a grand ,found lots of decent things but few mind blowers.I rely on things i've had for years and years,but they are few and far between.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

But Kev if you sell something you bought because you liked it, but now you're selling it to buy something else you like just as much but couldn't afford without selling the first 45, then you're not really getting anywhere. And you can bank on hearing the 45 you sold at some later stage and regretting selling it.

ROD

Rod...do you mean "like a dog chasing its tail" lol

Social source share

But Kev if you sell something you bought because you liked it, but now you're selling it to buy something else you like just as much but couldn't afford without selling the first 45, then you're not really getting anywhere. And you can bank on hearing the 45 you sold at some later stage and regretting selling it.

ROD

That's true,but sometimes(temporarily) finances take a front seat.Selling on may be the only way to freshen up.

Woof woof (for Nev.. :lol: ).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!