Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

a real Chepo but what a class recored

Play this often, one of my all time faves...a cheapo but rarely played out, one of the most magnificent examples of midtempo Detroit Northern Soul ever cut....Fantastic vocals. awesome melody and tip top production on one of the greatest groups produced by Black America....stupendous....imagine the value of this if there had only ever been a few dozen copies... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Been playing this at home for years old soul pack gemm, only ever heared it played out once at the Wilton, I beleive it got plays at wigan

Never heard it...what a superb record...sums up the term 'underplayed' perfectly...strewth....how do records this good get neglected?... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Never heard it...what a superb record...sums up the term 'underplayed' perfectly...strewth....how do records this good get neglected?... :hatsoff2:

Beautiful record, must admit I was expecting something risque !

Social source share

Another one from me, Sounds great played out , and just builds up and up all the way through, Dont understand why this isnt a massive sound, and amazes me how many folk dont know it

Social source share

I can't find a sound file for this one on your tube (I can the other side) but one I recommend wholeheartedly is.....

Reuben Wright - You Done Me Wrong - Capitol. (Click on the website link of mine and it is in my podcast).

It is a forgotten Stafford play of Chris kings only he played an acetate with different lead (one of the producers I think). It was covered as Eddie Holman, you can see why upon listening and it is also a Harthon Production. Brilliant piece of Northern Soul I've got behind/resurrected that IMO has everything. Killa since picked one up and now playing it too.

You can get one for around £20, price of a carver and not much more than a boot, who said you can't get decent cheap originals :thumbsup:

As a bonus great deep soul flip too :thumbup:

https://youtu.be/jdEy0SnKPoI

Social source share

Is the other sides called "do this for me"? another great track

Yes....great innit!?!

Must admit I had a vg+ copy on my sales pages for a couple of months for a reasonable £25, but got no interest so I took it off.

Maybe someone will want it now!?!

:D

Social source share

Yes....great innit!?!

Must admit I had a vg+ copy on my sales pages for a couple of months for a reasonable £25, but got no interest so I took it off.

Maybe someone will want it now!?!

:D

"Do this for me".Brilliant Vietnam track and i think the fore runner of The Lovers version on Phillips,which was speeded up.Any thoughts?.

"LOAG" i believe collected by the guys in the US.

Social source share

Any record with claves is already close to being a good record for me, but this one is pure midtempo bliss and a fairly strange sound for Volt. Some of the vocal harmonies are to die for, and will be played at my funeral

https://youtu.be/34GEMUVU3YE

Deanie Parker and The Valadors ≈ My Imaginary Guy

Social source share

Been playing this at home for years old soul pack gemm, only ever heared it played out once at the Wilton, I beleive it got plays at wigan

Just seen one of these for sale on site if anyones intrested and No the seller is not me nor do i know him folow link below

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

One that Claire picked up for very little money i'm really into at the moment is O.V. Wright "into something" (i can't shake loose) on Hi

& one i can't stop playing at home since it droped though the door last week is Big Ella "it takes a lot of loving" LO LO a N,Y,C, lable distributed by Calla Records & bloody fantastic track imo

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Got to be one of my all time faves this, the Horns just get me every time and the passion of the vocals, at that little guitar break, This isnt rare for a reason,it sold cos its good, Probably a copy in most folks box and gets over looked, go on dig it out, or even better play it out, I did once and cleared the floor ????

ive got a version of this by a group called "Vigon" its a french label release a bit faster and punchier but the vocals sound identical ......

Social source share

ANOTHER DEMO PICKED UP FOR PEANUTS RECENTLY

UNLIKELY TITLE FOR A NORTHERN R&B SOUND

KEV

This is a f*ckin blinding record IMHO I have played it out a few times over the years, but whilst most appreciate it, its still well under the radar & I reckon this would rock any Allnighter to its foundations......sounds even better booming outta a big ol system too......

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

My Mate Del got a box of records from Johnny Taylors estate....

He let me have pick of the best of the rest I chose this due to its pristine mint condition ..... I love a pink duke demo

What a result great double header and a record I still play regularly at home and out..

bought one of these about a month ago, blimmin marvelous

Social source share

Darlene Love "Lord if your a woman" Warner- Spector Mine an US Issue see lots of demos of this not many issues and as can be seen on the clip is on UK

Edited by miff
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL Before I put on a couple of tunes, I must say what great 45s that have been posted, in my humble opinion, there has not been a dud,

And the selection so far would make a soul night into a "GREAT SOUL NIGHT" I HAVE TO WATCH WHAT I RECOMMEND, To quote Mick Smith last week when I told him to listen to a record,"DAVE Don't turn into Russ Whinstanly" I admit the record was very pop, Do you think he was insulting my taste??..so the 1st of my recommended plays, is just for him and ant 100 Clubbers who may read or listen to this thread, I still cant put the sound bites on, however all my records are recommended and worth a play,

1. is out of my action label collection, that's 4 short from completion? this one is one of the harder ones to find, and is cheaper on the UK DION Label. ACTION 4541 "That's in the past"- BRENDA & THE TAB'S, Current value £30 -£60, a fabulous SOUL SOUND that will win you applause! if you like a good hand job? my recommendation gives it ***** on All- nighters dance-ability floor packer's, "WHAT SAY YOU" :g:

post-13241-0-66480900-1318629086_thumb.j

2. This record is up for auction on Ranking Johny Manships site, and this has Mick Smith name all over it as he discovered it, and to me it's typical of Mick's talent for finding great records, and taking them to Kieth M or Tony Jebb to get played and sold back in the 71/2 years, also it would be another few years before he was recognized as a top DJ rather than a top collector, this one is Kenny Bernard "pity my feet" *** Value £150 isue £200+ DEMO.

Johns write up tels more plus he mentions KIETH MANSFIELD, which links in, sadly "BOOGALOO" did not get a UK release, but you can find it on a rare Polish LP, however it did come out as a DEMO in the States on EPIC (never sen a issue" the official a side is a superb MOD dancer with lot's of Hammond organ,

BOOGALOO is very powerful and again I can only state it is recommended as a ***** rating, value £60 and will be cheap at that price. :ohmy: DAVE

post-13241-0-25532400-1318629066_thumb.j

post-13241-0-56442400-1318629002_thumb.jpost-13241-0-52871100-1318629035_thumb.j

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL Before I put on a couple of tunes, I must say what great 45s that have been posted, in my humble opinion, there has not been a dud,

And the selection so far would make a soul night into a "GREAT SOUL NIGHT" I HAVE TO WATCH WHAT I RECOMMEND, To quote Mick Smith last week when I told him to listen to a record,"DAVE Don't turn into Russ Whinstanly" I admit the record was very pop, Do you think he was insulting my taste??..so the 1st of my recommended plays, is just for him and ant 100 Clubbers who may read or listen to this thread, I still cant put the sound bites on, however all my records are recommended and worth a play,

1. is out of my action label collection, that's 4 short from completion? this one is one of the harder ones to find, and is cheaper on the UK DION Label. ACTION 4541 "That's in the past"- BRENDA & THE TAB'S, Current value £30 -£60, a fabulous SOUL SOUND that will win you applause! if you like a good hand job? my recommendation gives it ***** on All- nighters dance-ability floor packer's, "WHAT SAY YOU" :g:

post-13241-0-66480900-1318629086_thumb.j

2. This record is up for auction on Ranking Johny Manships site, and this has Mick Smith name all over it as he discovered it, and to me it's typical of Mick's talent for finding great records, and taking them to Kieth M or Tony Jebb to get played and sold back in the 71/2 years, also it would be another few years before he was recognized as a top DJ rather than a top collector, this one is Kenny Bernard "pity my feet" *** Value £150 isue £200+ DEMO.

Johns write up tels more plus he mentions KIETH MANSFIELD, which links in, sadly "BOOGALOO" did not get a UK release, but you can find it on a rare Polish LP, however it did come out as a DEMO in the States on EPIC (never sen a issue" the official a side is a superb MOD dancer with lot's of Hammond organ,

BOOGALOO is very powerful and again I can only state it is recommended as a ***** rating, value £60 and will be cheap at that price. :ohmy: DAVE

post-13241-0-25532400-1318629066_thumb.j

post-13241-0-56442400-1318629002_thumb.jpost-13241-0-52871100-1318629035_thumb.j

THERE YOU GO DAVE

• Helpful 1
Social source share