Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

Guest ritchie

Aint posted for over a week so pushing me luck and going for 2 today..

Got into a Billy Stewart marathon last night with a mate... Awesome!!!

Social source share

Bit of Motown for today.Off the LP,and also on the Gordy 7" E.P... :wink: .....Wigan spins if i remember right.Do any of the Motown nights play this?

We were having a discussion about this in the 'Motown LP tracks' thread the other day...I posted 'Tell me I'll never be alone' and the discussion moved onto the ep, which I believe has the same miniature cover as the album, only seen a couple of'em...Always think that this should be played at Northern nights let alone Motown events, brilliant record from a standout LP...

Social source share

JEAN WELLS 'After loving you'....

One of the most perfect records I know....all the ingredients for a great Northern dancer and as soulful as you like....complete with killer genuine 'deep soul' middle eight...! Two dollars in a Greenwich bargain bin, that's the way aha aha we like it....!

https://youtu.be/OxX8jaGlztM

Social source share

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Martha & Vandellas do the otiginal ? That's the only version I've got & heard before !

Todays offering: Great version of the old Mary Wells Motown outing. Same group as on Bandera, Lovelite and Cottillion. Not many covers rival Ms Wells' but this one does. Great looking label too. Anyone ever seen a promo?

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

JEAN WELLS 'After loving you'....

One of the most perfect records I know....all the ingredients for a great Northern dancer and as soulful as you like....complete with killer genuine 'deep soul' middle eight...! Two dollars in a Greenwich bargain bin, that's the way aha aha we like it....!

One of my all time faves, great choice Got this twice once on Calla and again On UK Mojo, allways cheap but sounds a millon dollers :thumbsup:

Social source share

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Martha & Vandellas do the otiginal ? That's the only version I've got & heard before !

STOVALL SISTERS 'yes to the lord' uses the same tune/melody exactly but adds a lovely Gospel vocal/lyric...As for MARY WELLS, goes to show even Detroit connossieurs are fallible to age DAVE lol!!! :yes::D

• Helpful 3
Social source share

This mornings offering: A Broadway show tune given the 'soul' treatment by one of the genres 'Giants' who sadly passed away 44 years today. I placed a copy of this in the coffin of one of my best Mates a few years ago, we both absolutely had it as our #1 performance of all time. So...for Alan Hughes....It's still up there Buddy. Dunn, Cropper and Jackson at the top of their game and you can almost SMELL Otis' soul! How much would you pay for a ticket to see these guys nowadays?

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/KiDq4Q62tz4

Edited by Dave Moore
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not been on this thread awhile, must say some great tracks are being posted well done peeps! :hatsoff2:

Was spinning a few Detroit things recently, and whilst playing the Chalfontes "He Love Me" classic, flipped it over for a much neglected play for me, the excellent "Confessin' My Love To You", really is a great track imo and worth another listen :thumbsup:

The writing credit on "Confessin'" is D Marsha, always wondered if this was indeed Detroit producer Don Mancha?? it would seem that way to me.

steve

https://youtu.be/y1Y2SxGlL-w

..and of course the classic "he Loves Me" :thumbsup:

(had to put both sides up! :yes: )

https://youtu.be/r4b21uO7l9A

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Not been on this thread awhile, must say some great tracks are being posted well done peeps! :hatsoff2:

Was spinning a few Detroit things recently, and whilst playing the Chalfontes "He Love Me" classic, flipped it over for a much neglected play for me, the excellent "Confessin' My Love To You", really is a great track imo and worth another listen :thumbsup:

The writing credit on "Confessin'" is D Marsha, always wondered if this was indeed Detroit producer Don Mancha?? it would seem that way to me.

steve

Steve

Bloody hell what a great B side!!!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Just surfacing after another cracking night at Bradford Rare & Underplayed.Hats off to Paul Harris who runs it for putting together a great line-up who all delivered with tune after tune of quality music.If you've not been definitely worth a visit :thumbsup:

In keeping with most of this thread this is a brilliant little cheapie that's hidden away on the B side of a bit of an iffy minor success disco outing.The price of a pint should cover the cost of one of these(especially for you southern boys :D )

Act One-Goodbye Love(We're Through) Mercury

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Will be very suprised if no one has already posted this suberb piece of 70`s xover. Cant say that i ve seen it on here, so i appologise in advance if it is! Getting more and more plays just recently always been a firm fav of mine!!!!!!

Beautiful tune!

Bid on it a few times without any luck.

Nice One!

Social source share

Just surfacing after another cracking night at Bradford Rare & Underplayed.Hats off to Paul Harris who runs it for putting together a great line-up who all delivered with tune after tune of quality music.If you've not been definitely worth a visit :thumbsup:

In keeping with most of this thread this is a brilliant little cheapie that's hidden away on the B side of a bit of an iffy minor success disco outing.The price of a pint should cover the cost of one of these(especially for you southern boys :D )

Act One-Goodbye Love(We're Through) Mercury

Cheers

Martyn

LOVE THE A SIDE TOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImAvi7Qo6vc

KEV

Social source share