Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

Got to be another of my alltime favourites , got it in a Blues & Soul Soul Pack in the 70's.

Has it all for me , classic

THE FALCONS - I'M A FOOL - BIG WHEEL

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Swifty

Top tune.Equally as good I think is "Standing On Guard" on the same label......& cheaper :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Swifty

Top tune.Equally as good I think is "Standing On Guard" on the same label......& cheaper :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn , love 'Standing on Guard' also , infact got a copy for £7 on a White Big Wheel , dont know if it was a demo , didn't say.

but 'I'm A Fool' edges it for me mate.

Take care

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

This morning's offering: Powerful gospel tinged song that when I've interviewed some soul artists has been quoted by more than one with ..."Wish I'd written that!". This version isn't from some far flung corner of Mississippi but from a group of ladies in London, UK! I've included a link to the Black Voices website if anyone wants to investigate further.

https://blackvoices.co.uk/

"My Light Will Shine So Bright It Will Blind You"

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

DARRELL BANKS...'Beautiful feeling'...One of the most cherished records on my shelves...Some lovely stuff up, RICHIE HAVENS and DAVE'S Gospel post etc...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Swifty

Cheers

Martyn

Still got a vhs video (remember those?),of my son aged about 2,dancing to "Standing on guard". :)

Anyway,slight change of tempo etc...for anyone bothered,pictured is the boot.OV label is red ,white, and black. ( :g::lol: ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ_gWfoTz0E

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Gogger

I like that Edwin track - never heard it before! Here's one from another of the soul scene's major artists recorded after their classic period but still showing that they still had alot to give. Well I think it's a good track

got to agree they just needed the right song, not heard the major lance one neithergreat track.

Social source share

ARETHA FRANKLIN 'Something he can feel'...'CAR BOOT CLASSICS'...The QUEEN on great form with this CURTIS MAYFIELD composition...Picked up an immaculate US 45 for 50p two months ago....Made my sunday....

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

The Salty Peppers - La la la Pt 1 - TEC Records.

From little acorns mighty Oaks grow

https://youtu.be/IONhdx30ShU

Earth, Wind & Fire leader Maurice White was a founding member of the Salty Peppers. While a session drummer for Chess Records and a member of the Ramsey Lewis Trio, White started a group with bassist/keyboardist Don Whitehead and vocalist Wade Flemons. The Salty Peppers had a Midwest hit with "La La La" -- issued on White's own Hummit Records -- and the track was leased to Capitol, which led to a record contract for the group. (The single was "Un Huh Yeah" b/w "Your Love Is Life.") After visiting California several times, White decided to make the move west and quit Lewis' trio. With demo tapes that featured the skills of Chicago multi-talent Donny Hathaway, White began shopping demo tapes (some featuring the skills of Donny Hathaway) around, then signed to Warner Bros., while the Salty Peppers eventually evolved into Earth, Wind & Fire.

Social source share

Sadly for me an obvious Supremes take off.

Trade Martin* production is interesting.

Not heard it before though!

There's only the ones you like and the ones you don't.

Mick

*I take it that folk are familiar with Trade Martin's highly political "ground zero" protest effort?

Wouldn't want to get into that one really.

I'M A SUCKER FOR THAT GIRLY SOUND

post-2477-0-34763600-1323376516_thumb.jp

KEV

Edited by Mick Sway
Social source share