Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

Also love Jesse's version of 'At Last' the other side of ' i know ' , actually had it at our wedding as Denise walked in !

Great thread by the way (Thanks Dave!), to actually hear stuff that I haven't heard and probably can afford to buy some of them.

Cheers everybody

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Bill Withers "Harlem" Sussex, this has got to be the contender for one of the best cheepies available to man, Thumping Soul with attitude, and thel flip to "aint no sunshine" so wont cost you more then a tenna

Essential stuff Miff :thumbup: a great builder, perhaps the best use of chord changes ever! flip of mine is "Who Is He (And What Is He To you)" tho? are you talkin bout the UK issue there mate?

steve

Social source share

Also love Jesse's version of 'At Last' the other side of ' i know ' , actually had it at our wedding as Denise walked in !

Great thread by the way (Thanks Dave!), to actually hear stuff that I haven't heard and probably can afford to buy some of them.

Cheers everybody

Swifty :thumbsup:

echo what you say there mate, been an education for me :thumbup:

ps. Jesse's version of "At Last" sublime stuff!

steve

Social source share

Essential stuff Miff :thumbup: a great builder, perhaps the best use of chord changes ever! flip of mine is "Who Is He (And What Is He To you)" tho? are you talkin bout the UK issue there mate?

steve

No mate mines the a US release, am sure it was released in the US with Harlem as the A side as well.

Social source share

Eddie & Ernie "Outcast" Eastern From 1965. later covered by the Animals in 1966

And the flip Am gonna allways love you ,

Edited by miff
Social source share

This morning's offering: Great midtempo 45 that was released on 2 labels, Sentry and then later on Ray Charles' Tangerine imprint. I have the Sentry stocker but am sure I've seen a white Demo in the past on Sentry. Anyone confirm?

Regards,

Dave

Bobby Joy " You Sweet Devil You"

Nice one Dave, new one to these old lugs, really like that mate, see it's got Robert Banks on arranging credits too, nice one

steve

Social source share

steve

My US copy has 'Aint no sunshine' on the flip, STEVE... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

THE WEEKNIGHTS 'What did I do wrong'...Mindblowing piece of Soul Music, vocals from another planet...

The 4th record I bought from PETE WIDD in a batch with MAJOR LANCE 'Since I lost my baby's love' PATTI AUSTIN 'Cant forget the one I love', JESSE JAMES 'i need you baby'...Without a doubt the best 20 quid's worth of Soul I have ever purchased and now all four of them have appeared on different postings on this thread!... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
Social source share

THE WEEKNIGHTS 'What did I do wrong'...Mindblowing piece of Soul Music, vocals from another planet...

The 4th record I bought from PETE WIDD in a batch with MAJOR LANCE 'Since I lost my baby's love' PATTI AUSTIN 'Cant forget the one I love', JESSE JAMES 'i need you baby'...Without a doubt the best 20 quid's worth of Soul I have ever purchased and now all four of them have appeared on different postings on this thread!... :hatsoff2:

Gets my vote Rich! :thumbsup: new one here, love it!

steve

Social source share

This morning's offering: Great midtempo 45 that was released on 2 labels, Sentry and then later on Ray Charles' Tangerine imprint. I have the Sentry stocker but am sure I've seen a white Demo in the past on Sentry. Anyone confirm?

Regards,

Dave

Dave

This is new to me but hit the spot straight away,bet it sounds great at a venue?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Glad ya liked that other Mike Kirkland track mate :thumbsup:

Zay records was a small early 70's label started by Jesse James and his manager Hosea Wilson I think, along with a another small label Zea, inbetween Jesse's 20th Cent stuff. Jesse had a couple of outings on both labels including this great little crossover cheapie

Jesse James "I Know I'll Never Find Another One" Zay...

..... and indeed this superb souful track on Zea (blows me away this one! what a talent the man is!)

Jesse James "I Need You" Zea

steve

Two great tracks there Steve, ive never come across either of them before.... Excellent stuff mate!!!

Social source share

Just wondered what anyone thinks about the best version of this track, an absolute classic covered many times and to be honest not often bettered. This is my favorite version and the only one i put above the original, although Buddy Miles comes very very close.....

Edited by Soulfulshoes
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just wondered what anyone thinks about the best version of this track, an absolute classic covered many times and to be honest not often bettered. This is my favorite version and the only one i put above the original, although Buddy Miles comes very very close.....

Will always be Jr Walker for me although there's been some great covers,that for me just goes to show what a brilliant song it is not that the other versions are by great artists?Must admit I think EC is one of the weaker ones,sorry.Buddy's is good & my other fave is Hearts Of Stone on VIP (LP only) but none come close to Jr for me.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Will always be Jr Walker for me although there's been some great covers,that for me just goes to show what a brilliant song it is not that the other versions are by great artists?Must admit I think EC is one of the weaker ones,sorry.Buddy's is good & my other fave is Hearts Of Stone on VIP (LP only) but none come close to Jr for me.

Cheers

Martyn

Cheers Martyn. Totally accept what your sayin, the jr walker is a hard act to follow, i just wondered how many different covers there are of this, i know about 6 off the top of my head but i dont know the Hearts of Stone version so there must be many many more!

Social source share

Will always be Jr Walker for me although there's been some great covers,that for me just goes to show what a brilliant song it is not that the other versions are by great artists?Must admit I think EC is one of the weaker ones,sorry.Buddy's is good & my other fave is Hearts Of Stone on VIP (LP only) but none come close to Jr for me. Cheers Martyn

Cheers Martyn. Totally accept what your sayin, the jr walker is a hard act to follow, i just wondered how many different covers there are of this, i know about 6 off the top of my head but i dont know the Hearts of Stone version so there must be many many more!

Gotta agree with Matyn, Jr Walker will always be my fav, as ya say there must be loads of versions? One I quite like which was often thought to be LP only is by 5th Dimension. Really should be on Soul City, but managed to pick it up on this Mexican Capitol label 45! as you can see from my scan it's actually an EP, but handy for playing out :thumbsup:

5th Dimension "What Does It Take"

https://youtu.be/2x80cox0g2U

...Love Billy Davis's voice! and indeed Marilyn McCoo's!

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One of those great songs that people just want to cover............"Fever" is another like that?

I can't imagine how many covers there are............a new thread I would think :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Well due a bit of re-activation imo! and nice and cheap too at the mo! :thumbsup:

Monroe Taylor "Proud Guy"

steve

Steve

Remember buying this & Billy McGregor-Mr Shy for a fiver each off that nice Barrie Waddington many moons ago at The Wilton.Old Stafford spin I've been told?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Gotta agree with Matyn, Jr Walker will always be my fav, as ya say there must be loads of versions? One I quite like which was often thought to be LP only is by 5th Dimension. Really should be on Soul City, but managed to pick it up on this Mexican Capitol label 45! as you can see from my scan it's actually an EP, but handy for playing out :thumbsup:

Steve

Another new version for me.Like most of 5th Dimension's stuff...........soul meets hippy :excl: :D :D

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Wow Love this version, need to try and get me one of those :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A very common record and so overlooked nowadays, as common as muck, and oh so good, The Whispers, "Flying High", Soul Clock. deserves the odd play out me thinks carnt remember the last time i heard it out

And the flip aint to bad "The time will come"

Social source share

This morning's offering: Another midtempo gem that never seems to see the light of day anymore. I love it. T'other side is probably better known by many:"Too Sweet To Be Lonely" which was also done on the same label by The Internationals which I've also posted. Two great sides.

Regards,

Dave

Dave

"Sitting..." is the better of the two sides for me,nice one.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Really like this thread, im finding so many tracks i have either never come across or just simply forgot how good they were!... Are! :thumbsup:

Like my offering today..... Album only track i believe, by this artist although i know of two other versions, the original by Brenda Holloway, and Sandy and the pebbles 45 on mercury. Im sure this will bring up another discusion on which is the best version, all 3 i know are great in my mind but again this one just pips (excuse the pun) it for me :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dQMAznl2gw&feature=related

• Helpful 1
Social source share