Recommended Record Of The Day, From Your Collection 2011

dthedrug

Guest ritchie

OK today I break from the Norm.. I've been pretty rough this last week so to cheer myself up I'm posting a rarer more well known tune from my box .. Defo recommended.. :yes:

Social source share

JUANITA WILLIAMS...'Baby Boy'...Can never see that Golden World label without thinking of this record for some strange reason...What an arrangement...

PS Nice to see the CHARLIE McCOY outing posted, an absolute dream midtempo gem... :hatsoff2:

Rich

If this was rare it'd be up there with the anthems of the scene...........another one were price as held it back :(

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

OK today I break from the Norm.. I've been pretty rough this last week so to cheer myself up I'm posting a rarer more well known tune from my box .. Defo recommended.. :yes:

Ritchie

One I'd love to have in my box..........one that always reminds me of The Wilton many moons back :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

THE ATTRACTIONS 'Why shouldn't a man cry'....Storming Northern, with MORRIS CHESTNUT (Who wrote it) on lead vocals I believe, another record that should have been much bigger, quality stamped all over it...

Social source share

Rich

If this was rare it'd be up there with the anthems of the scene...........another one were price as held it back :(

Cheers

Martyn

Agree Martyn about Juanita's "Baby Boy" (good choice Rich) really rate the sublime flip too "You Knew What You Was Getting"

"baby boy's right up there for me with the best of Ric-Tic Golden world stuff :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest posstot

September Jones gets lost in the Funk :g: .... Jury's still out on this one.... but I get it out and play it most days ...

Any clues as to what the lyrics are in this tune....all i know is they make me laugh...!!

Edited by posstot
Social source share

JAMES BROWN AND LYN COLLINS 'What my baby needs now'....The type of JAMES BROWN record I'd like to hear at 4 am in the morning at a Niter...

Loved that track for many years Rich, was the first to get me into JB's more soulful side that he showed in the 70's, When I posted that to Youtube UMG evntually put a "copywright" on it, but still alows it to be played, as you can see. Thing is the flip (JB and Lyn's great duet of the Burt Bacharach "This Guy This Girls In Love") UMG "copywrited" it but won't alow it to be played at all? and UMG with some of the other JB's I posted block 'em only in Germany? Strange world of Youtube! :g:

steve

Social source share

Carrying on with Kev's Mecca tunes.This still sounds brilliant when played out very VERY loud,Roger Banks gives this a spin now & then.

Jimmy Norman-Family Tree Mercury

Cheers

Martyn

Proper Martyn :thumbsup: ,my choices were the transitional Mecca stuff as you know.

Social source share

Proper Martyn :thumbsup: ,my choices were the transitional Mecca stuff as you know.

Kev

Think people forget that the Mecca played plenty of "proper northern" as well as changing the scene with the more 70t's/funkier type stuff..........Just found out Mamselles - Open Up Your Heart (Let Love Out) ABC is a Mecca oldie,another great northern dancer.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

STEVE SAID:

Determinations "Bing Bong" but what about the other side!! "Girl Girl Girl" stunning group harmony for me, making it an essential double sider

RICH CHORLEY SAID:

Beautiful piece of Soul that flip, STEVE, but what's the story on the credits - King Records, is the J.BROWN credited MR JAMES? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

STEVE SAID:

Determinations "Bing Bong" but what about the other side!! "Girl Girl Girl" stunning group harmony for me, making it an essential double sider

RICH CHORLEY SAID:

Beautiful piece of Soul that flip, STEVE, but what's the story on the credits - King Records, is the J.BROWN credited MR JAMES? :hatsoff2:

It was produced by James Brown, one of the writing credits "D Bryant" is Donald Bryant the singer (well one of 'em) been lead to believe co-wrote by James Brown? but on the writing credits is an "E Brown" too? wonder if it is a coincidence and they are members of the group along with Donald Bryant?

steve

Social source share

It was produced by James Brown, one of the writing credits "D Bryant" is Donald Bryant the singer (well one of 'em) been lead to believe co-wrote by James Brown? but on the writing credits is an "E Brown" too? wonder if it is a coincidence and they are members of the group along with Donald Bryant?

steve

The exact same questions I sat here pondering to myself, after looking at those credits!!.... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Some really nice 45s in this thread, what a great idea for a topic!!!! Another one for today, just wondered how many know this one, it was a new one on me until 18 months ago. To say its from such a tallent as Little Anthony cant believe it slipped under my radar all these years. Ive played it a couple of times out and it got some nice comments. Let me know if theres anyone else out there playin it. If you dont know it give it a minute to kick in.......Cheers.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Some really nice 45s in this thread, what a great idea for a topic!!!! Another one for today, just wondered how many know this one, it was a new one on me until 18 months ago. To say its from such a tallent as Little Anthony cant believe it slipped under my radar all these years. Ive played it a couple of times out and it got some nice comments. Let me know if theres anyone else out there playin it. If you dont know it give it a minute to kick in.......Cheers.

post-2477-0-55766000-1321910786_thumb.jp

beat me to it on this one have a stack here ready to list.

not a dj but would deffo play it if i was

kev

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

I know its only supposed to be 1 record of the day, but i couldnt wait till tomorrow to put this one up! Superb 60s soul from the excellent Maxine Brown hmmmmmmmmmm :)

Maxine Brown "Don't Leave Me Baby"

Great version by Maxine! wish this had seen a 45 release? ... and not forgeting the original take of this fantastic Loraine Chandler Jack Ashford tune Ray Gant... for me just a definative Soul record of the highest order :thumbup:

Ray Gant & The Arabian Knights "Don't Leave Me" Jaywalking

https://youtu.be/QW6pz3Eyov8

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes i have this version, great track, the Maxine Brown would have been a stormer had it been around on 45. Guess its the cant have it part of me and of course Maxines fantastic singing voice that just nicks it for me!

Great version by Maxine! wish this had seen a 45 release? ... and not forgeting the original take of this fantastic Loraine Chandler Jack Ashford tune Ray Gant... for me just a definative Soul record of the highest order :thumbup:

Ray Gant & The Arabian Knights "Don't Leave Me" Jaywalking

steve

Social source share