Carol & Gerri Stock Copies

Guest ritchie

An aquantaince in the states has just turned up CAROL & GERRI..HOW CAN I EVER FIND THE WAY black issue at a garage sale..not really my cup of tea but looking around it would seem there are a lot more demos about.

Is this the case and do the stock copies go for more than the demos?

Cheers.

Social source share

An aquantaince in the states has just turned up CAROL & GERRI..HOW CAN I EVER FIND THE WAY black issue at a garage sale..not really my cup of tea but looking around it would seem there are a lot more demos about.

Is this the case and do the stock copies go for more than the demos?

Cheers.

Hi. Its the other side "on you heartaches look good" that everyone wants it for. Top tune.

Black issue very rare £400 ish

demo £300 ish

Good luck

Social source share

Typically last time I had one, going back ten years now, nobody wanted it, think I got £70 for it. Think I paid £50 for it. About a month later they started playing the b side and off it went. I'd want £250/£300 next time.

The demos go for around £250 don't they? Why sell an issue for £100 or more less than you could realistically get?

I can remember both sides getting played late 80's early 90's.

Social source share

The demos go for around £250 don't they? Why sell an issue for £100 or more less than you could realistically get?

I can remember both sides getting played late 80's early 90's.

How Can I was played at Wigan 78/9 Chalky, didnt hear the other side till about 10/12 years ago.

Both sides equally as good :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

How Can I was played at Wigan 78/9 Chalky, didnt hear the other side till about 10/12 years ago.

Both sides equally as good :thumbsup:

That's correct Steve, How Can I Ever Find The Way was played for about 2 months circa april/may 78 then booted, the other side was never played out. Much prefer How Can I...

Social source share

The other side I did hear out before 10 to 12 years ago...just because you didn't hear it doesn't mean it wasn't played out. I have it on tape somewhere in the garage from at least one DHJ who played it. It simply got more popular 15 years ago.

Played out at Wigan & venues at the same time as the A side I mean Chalky, were you there? As it was 33 years ago, I guess not?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

imho, great double A sider. remember mick derry playing it at birmingham locarno all-dayers " how can i ever find a way", but never heard the b-side til about 10 years ago....same as a good many of you i suppose....but if you have to put it into perspective the speed conscious northern soulie of the 70's/early 80's never even gave the b-side of a record a second glance, especially if they happened to be a dj as well and cued one up accidentally, subsequently clearing the floor!.i guess stafford would have been the instigator of "flipping" as well as "slowing things down" and all of a sudden, tunes such as "heartaches" gained creedence ( although its not particularly medium paced ). anyway,in this instance the bootleg didnt so much as make a ripple in the originals true value so, what you see it go for now is par for the course,based on the fact that whilst some consider it to be common, ITS NOT THAT COMMON!

Social source share

Played out at Wigan & venues at the same time as the A side I mean Chalky, were you there? As it was 33 years ago, I guess not?

You didn't say that though to start with that is why I replied with the reply I did......and no

I said I heard it late 80's early 90's, reading your post number 5 it wasn't played till ten years ago then you replied to be saying never played when I said I'd heard it 80's and 90's...bit vague your reply. I definitely heard it a longer than 10 years ago.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Did anyone ever find out why "How Can I Ever find The Way" found it's way onto a Fifth Estate CD from a few years back. It wasn't just another version by that group (all male), but the same identical recording. Was there any connection between MGM and Jubilee.

Cheers

Mick

Members of The Fifth Estate wrote the record. The identity of the vocalists is shrouded in mystery, although wikipedia makes an intriguing suggestion as to the group's involvement in a solo recording by an erstwhile Vandella. Could this be it?

Social source share

Members of The Fifth Estate wrote the record. The identity of the vocalists is shrouded in mystery, although wikipedia makes an intriguing suggestion as to the group's involvement in a solo recording by an erstwhile Vandella. Could this be it?

Could be - I never knew about Fifth Estate members writing it, that would be the link.

The recording on the CD is the same Identical recording as C&G - Nearly bought the CD a couple of years back, expecting a different version but managed to find a clip on Amazon or CDBaby and after working out it was the C&G recording, never bought it.

Social source share

If you collect issues rather than demos its worth £500 regardless of how 'played out' it is or isn't. It's just that rare.

Out of interest how rare is a Tony Middleton issue compared to the demo?

Much harder - but then again, nearly all of them are. I"m still waiting for someone else to show me a Dean Courtney issue apart from the one I had. Eventually sold for £1000. That was rare.

Having said that, Velours, Charades, Carol & Gerri, all about the same value and IN MY OPINION it's nowhere near £500.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I remember seeing your stock copy of Dean Courtney Pete, even held it in my hands to admire it.

I have seen more issues of Tony Middleton than the above or Carol & Gerri

reckon Petes more correct on price wise though, but then again a record is only worth what a person is wlling to pay

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest Rodney LeePeace

When HCIEFAW first erupted on the scene I think most people(me included)loved it(I still do)but only true collectors played the bside and kept the secret to themselves as it was like trying to flog a dead donkey to most people on the scene(slower dancers hadn't quite caught on),but thanks to tape swappers and the inquisitive amongst us it kept in the background,i,like a lot of people were swept up by the pop stompers of the day but still sought out the more soulful for myself(Detroit,Chicago etc).i never understood why the much lesser paced and soulful sound wasn't bigger on the scene,even though a couple had slipped through the net,(long after tonight,shoes,etc),I for one was glad of venues like Stafford where these sounds were allowed to flourish.imagine if the scene was still 100mph,I doubt it would have kept going,

Social source share

Much harder - but then again, nearly all of them are. I"m still waiting for someone else to show me a Dean Courtney issue apart from the one I had. Eventually sold for £1000. That was rare.

Having said that, Velours, Charades, Carol & Gerri, all about the same value and IN MY OPINION it's nowhere near £500.

I agree with pete,the dean Courtney issue is a once in a lifetime record! It's probably the record that's on jm s teaser haha...all mgm demos aren't really rare at all,and drift in and out of fashion! I wouldn't give anymore than 250 quid for any of em!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

If you collect issues rather than demos its worth £500 regardless of how 'played out' it is or isn't. It's just that rare.

Out of interest how rare is a Tony Middleton issue compared to the demo?

Agreed.....if you are a collector.....wether it,s played or not is irrelivant

Social source share

You didn't say that though to start with that is why I replied with the reply I did......and no

I said I heard it late 80's early 90's, reading your post number 5 it wasn't played till ten years ago then you replied to be saying never played when I said I'd heard it 80's and 90's...bit vague your reply. I definitely heard it a longer than 10 years ago.

I remember 'Heartaches' from the mid-late 80s too - it was only recently I found out 'How Can I' was on the other side which is one of my all-time favourite nighter sounds - was it covered as Vickie Baines or was that the durophet?

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

I remember 'Heartaches' from the mid-late 80s too - it was only recently I found out 'How Can I' was on the other side which is one of my all-time favourite nighter sounds - was it covered as Vickie Baines or was that the durophet?

Dx

No it was actually covered as - and you'll probably find this a bit hard to believe - The Epitome Of Sound.  I only remembered this when I bought a load of stuff off Crispi and there was a 10" 4 track emidisc I got off Pep, and it was written on the label as "Into your arms" Epitome Of Sound.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It was obviously the coverer that was on something pretty strong - probably those giant bombers that they take in that silly Soul Boy film... More than likely (judging by the total lack of vocal or musical resemblance) he had stuffed them in his ears (having misheard the instructions for suppositories).

Dx

Social source share

The only demo that I know of rarer than the issue on MGM is Spyder Turner.

Also Dottie Cambridge was considered ever so slighty rarer on demo than issue.  Just about every original I saw in the 70's was an MGM issue! Same goes for The Tymes - "What Would I Do"

Edited by Guest
Social source share

When I used to go to John Manships shop in King Street Melton Mowbray, when he was running his Video Empire, he had Tony Middleton Black Issues at £2 each or 3 for a Fiver, I took 3 to re-sell, must have had 60-80 on the shelf ! Also there were Mint Musicor Demos of Jimmy Ratcliffe & Dean Parrish. in about the same numbers !

I bought Carol & Gerri off The Rev Tony Clayton in the 70s when he Auctioned Nev Wherry's Records after he died (79 ?), I still have it and if I play it out always think of Nev !

The "B" side was played by John Kingan at the Hollingwood Hotel early 90s --that's where you know it from Chalky !

Rob

Social source share

That's correct Steve, How Can I Ever Find The Way was played for about 2 months circa april/may 78 then booted, the other side was never played out. Much prefer How Can I...

Pete, the "Heartache On You...." side was a big floor fuller at Accy Band Club back in 76.

We were all abit surrpriced when they started playing the other side at Wigan.

T.S.W.O.N.S. strikes again.

Social source share

Pete, the "Heartache On You...." side was a big floor fuller at Accy Band Club back in 76.

We were all abit surrpriced when they started playing the other side at Wigan.

T.S.W.O.N.S. strikes again.

Wow, amazing...just shows about sounds being known in one part of the country and unknown elsewhere

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry, I didn't have time to finnish my original post no.29.

I bought the Carol & Gerri blind in the early 70's from a sales list. Around the same time I bought my first copy of the Chandlers off Brad. He didn't think it would "go" because of the long slow break in the middle of the track. I played both sides of Carol & Gerri and the Chandlers locally, and they were well known to my circle of friends including Guy Hennigan who lived in Skipton at that time. This went on for a few years until I thought the scene was well and truly over and I sold up. This would be around 75/76.

The big hitters of the time that I had sold instantly, but those two 45's along with other stuff that wasn't known at the time, were a little harder to shift. One day I got a call from Pete Higson who said this guy called Andy Riding wanted to come round and buy some tunes. I had never met the guy before, and I never met him after, but he had great taste because he took both the Carol & Gerri and the Chandlers.

Within a couple of months they were both massive tunes. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!