Dj'ing Abroad

Davekd

I've been asked to DJ abroad for the first time and panicing about taking my records!

A friend of mine told me about a lightweight plastic 100 box he had bought, bunged into a sportsbag and straight through as hand luggage - trouble is it was at a do and I cant remember the name/details of the box.

I wondered if anyone has any advice/stories etc - probably only going to take 70 or so maximum.

Thanks,

Dave

Social source share

I take a 100 box, in a bag, as carry on. It's under 10kg. Put other stuff in there and it goes over......only once seen it checked, when an over officious Ryainair guy pulled this pocket weighing machine out of his pockets and was insisting on weighong everyones carry ons. The DJs I was with had to put their luggage in the hold :ohmy:

Anyway enjoy it Dave.....Steve

Social source share

I reckon 100 is about the minimum. The vinyl thing is really limiting. The last time I took vinyl abroad was earlier this year and had to check a case in hold with around 200 7"'ers and around 20 12"'s in. A pain in the arse and there's always something you wanted to play but couldn't have with you, so quite frustrating too.

Whereas a CD wallet can hold a few thousand tunes and a portable hard drive 50,000, both of which you can fit in a pocket or carry on bag and not get busted for weight, or worse still, by local customs. The minute some local customs guy sees people carrying record boxes in certain countries it's like waving a red flag! It's often an immediate 'fine' or 'import tax' and they know all the tricks now. I've had mates get their records confiscated until they've coughed up the 'tax' on their DJ fee. Also I'd check your insurance too. Thieves often target people with record boxes in airports. It's a dead giveaway so be careful out there.

Ian D :D

Social source share

I took a 200 box to Seattle and got it on as hand luggage (it went on the size of the luggage and not the weight) but regretted it because it was so bloody heavy.

I would take a 100ish count box and put it in a holdall. Easier to carry and you should get it on board no problem.

No way would I put it in the hold. Have you seen how they throw luggage around :ohmy:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I took a 200 box to Seattle and got it on as hand luggage (it went on the size of the luggage and not the weight) but regretted it because it was so bloody heavy.

I would take a 100ish count box and put it in a holdall. Easier to carry and you should get it on board no problem.

No way would I put it in the hold. Have you seen how they throw luggage around :ohmy:

They're OK in the hold if you have a reasonably solid case and they're in a light 100 count box inside the case with clothes wrapped around. I prefer 'em in the hold to be honest 'cos it's makes for a heavy holdall to lug everywhere with you.

Mind you, if you're carrying £30,000 around with you then I guess you don't want 'em out of your sight. Bloody inconvenient though.

What happens if they start charging for carry on weight though? :g:

Social source share

They're OK in the hold if you have a reasonably solid case and they're in a light 100 count box inside the case with clothes wrapped around. I prefer 'em in the hold to be honest 'cos it's makes for a heavy holdall to lug everywhere with you.

Mind you, if you're carrying £30,000 around with you then I guess you don't want 'em out of your sight. Bloody inconvenient though.

What happens if they start charging for carry on weight though? :g:

I'd pay it! (not that I'm expecting to DJ abroad anytime soon lol).

I don't have expensive or rare records like the majority but I still wouldn't let them out of my sight.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

In New York they removed every 45 from both boxes I was carrying, be advised that this can happen in the states, so leave yourself extra time to check in!

Social source share

I'd pay it! (not that I'm expecting to DJ abroad anytime soon lol).

I don't have expensive or rare records like the majority but I still wouldn't let them out of my sight.

Seattle's a great gig. You could have nipped up to Portland and found a few goodies whilst you were there! Did they pay airfare or was it a freeby?

Social source share

The minute some local customs guy sees people carrying record boxes in certain countries it's like waving a red flag! It's often an immediate 'fine' or 'import tax' and they know all the tricks now. I've had mates get their records confiscated until they've coughed up the 'tax' on their DJ fee.

I've never heard of this happening.

U.S. flights - you can carry just about as many 45s as you can fit in your hand luggage - it's down to size not weight.

It's the budget airlines you've got to be careful with - they like to scrape every penny they can in additional charges, hence the weight limits.

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

I've never heard of this happening.

U.S. flights - you can carry just about as many 45s as you can fit in your hand luggage - it's down to size not weight.

It's the budget airlines you've got to be careful with - they like to scrape every penny they can in additional charges, hence the weight limits.

It can happen in quite a few European destinations including France and Spain. I've never personally been stopped but some mates of mine who DJ abroad on a regular basis have quite a few tales. Plus a well-known DJ had his records nicked within 5 minutes of his landing at well-known destination. I guess it depends on the country.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ryanair are the worst as they have a strict hand luggage size limit which seems to be smaller than everyone else's (shock horror), plus they often have staff patrolling their patch at the entrance to gates to make sure! if you're crafty enough you can wait till they stop someone else before sneaking thru but its a definite stress out plus you'll find their overhead lockers smaller as well, easyjet have a much more relaxed policy to hand luggage as they allow any weight within reason plus a bigger size bag - definitely worth considering if you're tempted to book ryanair...for the record i've never been refused on with my records as hand luggage but i would NEVER let them go in the hold - are you kidding?!! :huh: the closest i came was about 10 years ago when i was coming home from dj'ing in hamburg with keb - an overzealous jobsworth spotted my record box and made me take about half out and put them in a carrier bag, as soon as i got on the plane i put them all back?! :glare:

Social source share

ryanair are the worst as they have a strict hand luggage size limit which seems to be smaller than everyone else's (shock horror), plus they often have staff patrolling their patch at the entrance to gates to make sure! if you're crafty enough you can wait till they stop someone else before sneaking thru but its a definite stress out plus you'll find their overhead lockers smaller as well, easyjet have a much more relaxed policy to hand luggage as they allow any weight within reason plus a bigger size bag - definitely worth considering if you're tempted to book ryanair...for the record i've never been refused on with my records as hand luggage but i would NEVER let them go in the hold - are you kidding?!! :huh: the closest i came was about 10 years ago when i was coming home from dj'ing in hamburg with keb - an overzealous jobsworth spotted my record box and made me take about half out and put them in a carrier bag, as soon as i got on the plane i put them all back?! :glare:

Co-incidence Wrighty, the over zeleous guy that the people I was with was also in Germany and also Ryanair. They were basically told in the hold or they don't go on the plane......a horrid choice. It was hilarious having put the bag to one side to go in the hold, one of the dj's concerned then went back and retrieved it while the official was checking someone else's carry on weight.....you couldn't make it up.

I reckon 100 is about the minimum. The vinyl thing is really limiting. The last time I took vinyl abroad was earlier this year and had to check a case in hold with around 200 7"'ers and around 20 12"'s in. A pain in the arse and there's always something you wanted to play but couldn't have with you, so quite frustrating too.

Whereas a CD wallet can hold a few thousand tunes and a portable hard drive 50,000, both of which you can fit in a pocket or carry on bag and not get busted for weight, or worse still, by local customs. .

Ian I disagree. Playing CDs abroad? frusty2.gif:facepalm: Honestly man, that's not what it's all about.

Anyway 100 records is more than enough for any DJ. Jees me and Sam did between us some 8 hours in the Asturias one weekend with two 100 count boxes (we made sure we didn't take duplicates and "borrowed" each others copies of records we both had so a bit of planning was needed to sift out duplicates which took about 30 minutes the night before we went). We only played about 2 tunes on both nights, by request, and still had a few unplayeds left for an afterparty......

If you can't pack a box with a 100 for a 1-2 hour set something's not quite right.

Never been taxed though have witnessed problems with security. Again Sam, some blokes started to go through his box post x-ray machine and were bending a Johnnie Mae Matthews to see whether it would 'snap' over the protestations of Sam "I'm a DJ, DEE JAY , records, Disques" etc. Meself and Ady lupton were told to move on out of the way....but it was all ok in the end.

I'd also avoid taking acetates as well. :hypo:

Dave you'll love it!

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Ian I disagree. Playing CDs abroad? frusty2.gif:facepalm: Honestly man, that's not what it's all about.

Anyway 100 records is more than enough for any DJ. Jees me and Sam did between us some 8 hours in the Asturias one weekend with two 100 count boxes (we made sure we didn't take duplicates and "borrowed" each others copies of records we both had so a bit of planning was needed to sift out duplicates which took about 30 minutes the night before we went). We only played about 2 tunes on both nights, by request, and still had a few unplayeds left for an afterparty......

If you can't pack a box with a 100 for a 1-2 hour set something's not quite right.

It's the music that's the important thing, not the format LOL. frusty2.gif:facepalm:

Unless you have some kind of vinyl fetish that is.....? :lol:

100's not enough for me by a long chalk Steve (but granted we do different gigs). I like a massive choice to keep things varied. Plus how do you predict so accurately what the foreign crowd will like? Is there like a Top 200 newies so if you have half of them you're covered?

I think you'll find that 98% of regular working DJ's who travel regularly use CD's and laptops these days Steve. It's only the serious physical collector's scenes that demand physical vinyl. Plus travel costs for lugging 2 x boxes of 12" records are simply way too prohibitive these days which I guess is the beauty of 7"'s. My mate Greg Wilson used to take a vintage tape machine everywhere with him until it cost him £600 to take to Australia LOL....

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

i travel quite a lot in europe and as far as im aware the size of hand luggage is set by code not individual airline. where ryan air do differ is that you can only take one piece. they make you amalgamate pieces of hand luggage until you have one or you have to pay 40 euros to get it checked into the hold. i had two couples in fron t of me who got made to pay 60 euro each couple for 4 tennis rackets a few weeks ago on ryan air.

i bought a compartmentized 200 7inch box from dj store.com for about 40 quid (no brand name) that fits in the wire rack they have at all airports. if it does that nobody can say anything regardless of who they are. if they do and your box fits in the wire rack dimensions just hold firm .

Had some fun with Russian security a few times. Aggressively poking you and your box with a large automatic weapon then getting quite excited when they see 7"s in the box. After a little record fondle and the words 'DJ?' on you way you go, heart banging.

anyway, dont use ryan air is a basic rule of travel really. and try and take what you would for a normal home fixture. it is entirely possible.

Social source share

I don't take albums or 12s abroad 45s only Ian. Different scene I guess. Think Dave who asked the question isn't being asked to do a House / Techno set is he? Surely not? :) Walls of Heartache goes Y2K? :no:

I think if someone pitched up in Europe to do a northern / xover / funky gig with a bag of CDRs they'd be met with some suspicion..... :huh:

As for knowing what tunes to take - yep have a pretty god idea of where you're going and what the crowd like. Ask the promotor if yer don't know, and also take some tunes that you believe in. That's a DJs job - to entertain, not to be a human version of a jukebox :D . The Europeans do dance to unknowns, and varied sets unlike so many here. That's one of the reasons we all love DJing there.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

i think there are bigger issues here than how you cart your records around, depending on where you are going (inside or out of europe), how often etc.

Europe should be ok (to work) - US is potentially a problem from a work permit perspective, don't carry business cards, or flyers advertising the gig you're playing at etc, the 'not getting paid' excuse does not necessarily work - of course your djing at a friends party!- the more regular you go (to the US as thats my experience) the more questions you get asked. Also coming to UK is getting troublesome (from outside EU)

Social source share

Dave try and take a lot of good double siders......half the records, double the options

Brilliant Val. I see this as a sales pitch in the future for record dealers: "Brilliant double-sider that will appeal to both Northern and Crossover crowds. Ideal for international DJ's who suffer airline weight restrictions"..........

We should do a chart of the most airline-friendly double-siders! :lol:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

i think there are bigger issues here than how you cart your records around, depending on where you are going (inside or out of europe), how often etc.

Europe should be ok (to work) - US is potentially a problem from a work permit perspective, don't carry business cards, or flyers advertising the gig you're playing at etc, the 'not getting paid' excuse does not necessarily work - of course your djing at a friends party!- the more regular you go (to the US as thats my experience) the more questions you get asked. Also coming to UK is getting troublesome (from outside EU)

Yep. Generally the 'you'll be playing a few records at a friend's wedding' is the one.........until they ask you for proof!

Social source share

Thanks guys, put my mind at rest there, definately going for the carry on option - I've got a small spot at the Big Thing Weekender in Valencia, so original (Northern) vinyl only Ian and no danger of my records being worth 30K lol,

Managed to avoid Ryanair as well and going with Easyjet.

Thanks again.

Dave

Social source share

What you could also do is if you're going to bring say 60 records with you, put 20 each into heavy duty 7" cardboard box mailers. Put all three boxes into a small rucksack or similar. Well protected, easy to handle and easier to carry around on your back than with your hands.

Social source share

What you could also do is if you're going to bring say 60 records with you, put 20 each into heavy duty 7" cardboard box mailers. Put all three boxes into a small rucksack or similar. Well protected, easy to handle and easier to carry around on your back than with your hands.

Thats the way Butch is doing it everytime he travells.

I travel quite a lot with my dj box using airlines, maybe six times a year or so and never ever had problems with a 300 count box up until last year. Similar to what happenend to Steve G...since then I only travel with a 100 count box (once bought at Beatin Rhythm) and it fits all size and weight limits. Does limit you indeed a bit in what to bring but on the other hand, how often you carry the same old say 100 + reocrds with you that you just never ever play or just dont wanna play but still carry them with you for that one "just in case" moment ? Limitation is a bonus for the quality..see it that way :thumbsup:

NB

and indeed...ryan air should be a total NO GO...unless you fancy sitting on dirty seats and toilets, love to pay for any extra, being treated like cattle and being "entertained" on board by Borats sisters

...acetates no problem by the way..

Social source share

Hello Marc

I still prefer the lockable box option.....rather than cardboard carriers you got to lug about with you.

Don't acetates set off the x-ray machines? Did in Italy once.

And as for security I reckon Kenny burrell's old chain and padlock must have weighed more than the 10kg ryanair allowance :lol:

Social source share

Didn't they ask you why you were bringing U.S. 45's INTO the U.S.? :lol:

No they swabbed them for toxins, maybe they think there's some kind of 45 toting terrorist out there. That's our government tho :g:

Social source share

Co-incidence Wrighty, the over zeleous guy that the people I was with was also in Germany and also Ryanair. They were basically told in the hold or they don't go on the plane......a horrid choice. It was hilarious having put the bag to one side to go in the hold, one of the dj's concerned then went back and retrieved it while the official was checking someone else's carry on weight.....you couldn't make it up.

Never been taxed though have witnessed problems with security. Again Sam, some blokes started to go through his box post x-ray machine and were bending a Johnnie Mae Matthews to see whether it would 'snap' over the protestations of Sam "I'm a DJ, DEE JAY , records, Disques" etc. Meself and Ady lupton were told to move on out of the way....but it was all ok in the end.

I'd also avoid taking acetates as well. :hypo:

Dave you'll love it!

Thanks Steve, only slightly panicing now, loaded my box already and will not doubt be unloading it and reloading it quite a few more times yet lol

Thanks again to everyone for the advise (Val got a few double siders put aside already!)

Cheers,

Dave

Social source share

Managed to avoid Ryanair as well and going with Easyjet.

Just make sure it fits the dimensions of the steel frame Easyjet ask you to insert your bag in - and chances are they'll ask you to do it after you've queued an hour to try get a good seat and make you take all your purchases out on the floor as people pass by while getting on, then ask you to ut in in the frame, then ask you to do again but flip the box of records for the position they want it to be, and then squeeze the now emptier bag down in all corners to see how snug it fits. After it passes inspection, try and hoist it all compacted out of the frame ...gently. By now you're nearly the last on and struggling to find any overhead cabin space for your records before someone tells you to put it in the hold. The worse can happen, but most times it's not a problem.

Usually there's no problem if you research the size and weight allowance for every flight. They will often separate your bag in the security x-ray screening and when they ask you to open it, be clear they are old vinyl records and that they are "extremely fragile collector pieces". The reason they try and snap them is that drugs have been turned into plates and smuggled in this way, with a journalist embarrasing airline security for not picking it up. Most times they only ask you to show them a few, whilst others want to touch them.

Carrying them in heavy duty cardboard boxes is great when you want to take more and the heavy dj box can go in the hold luggage if you want one for use. I've found the odd holdall with wheels, within dimensions and which opens wide to take a 150 solid box > real handy gems if overall weight meets allowance.

Another option is to bring a mate and ask them to carry a some records. Back home we used to have to fly each time we wanted to attend a soul night outside or own city (else a minimum 21 hour return drive), so got used to knowing what to do.

Just do your research and don't panic or look nervous on the day, else the record box weight won't be your problem - it may be Bob and his rubber glove.

Have fun!

m

Social source share

Hello Marc

I still prefer the lockable box option.....rather than cardboard carriers you got to lug about with you.

Don't acetates set off the x-ray machines? Did in Italy once.

And as for security I reckon Kenny burrell's old chain and padlock must have weighed more than the 10kg ryanair allowance laugh.png

hello there steve :hatsoff2: ,

dont know wether the acetates are to blame, but yes I also always have to open my box once it has passed the x-ray machine. but no big deal ever so far :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I usually take a lockable 100 count hard box, have had to open it for customs a few times but never had to check it in, fingers crossed. My partner forgot to lock hers once & lost it at a customs security guard who opened it & then snapped some 45s trying to force it closed again. This caused her to be held by airport security for a while until she cooled off. Fun times :glare:

Social source share

I picked one of these up recently, and I thoroughly recommend it for carry-on.

https://www.reggaerec...php?code=250846

Padded very well, and holds approx. 130 45's that are housed in thick cardboard sleeves....probably around 150/160 if your 45's are just in paper sleeves.

you brought this with you greg? is it big enought to fit in the hand luggage allowance?

Social source share

Still prefer Magma as it's a 50/50 case and very useable!

i had one of these bought for me johnny, very nice but it was too big to take on as hand luggage? :(

Social source share

It can happen in quite a few European destinations including France and Spain. I've never personally been stopped but some mates of mine who DJ abroad on a regular basis have quite a few tales. Plus a well-known DJ had his records nicked within 5 minutes of his landing at well-known destination. I guess it depends on the country.

I've travelled all over the Continent and the US and have never had to pay anything to anybody. I am constantly moving in and out of Spain with 45s as do many of my Mates. None of us have EVER had a problem. When coming from UK to Spain at many airports there is no immigration or customs, it's a EU destination. In the US, many security checkers will ask to see inside your box simply as they don't see 45s much. I've never been asked if I'm a DJ or if I am working. I simply tell them I'm a record collector and it usually results in a short conversation and being told that their parents having some of these ole rekkids in the attic.

Regards,

Dave

PS. I did once have to pay for an empty bag to be put aboard a RyanAir flight so I could keep my box as onboard baggage. That's RyanAir for ya.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!