Rouncey On Solar Radio This Sunday (25/9/11)

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi All -

A little heads up/word of warning that I'm making my Solar Radio debut this coming Sunday (September 25th). I'll be following in the footsteps of many other illustrious Sourcers past and present by hosting Solar's 'Soul People' show between 10 and 12 in the morning.

You can expect to hear much the same sort of musical mish-mash that you might have caught recently if you heard me at Majestic Soul, with lots of quality 45s and album tracks - dog rare and ultra-common alike - rubbing shoulders with great unissued sides from the late 60s and 70s, some of which will be receiving their world premiere plays during those two hours.

As always you can listen through Solar's website (www.solarradio.com) or via your telly, if you have Sky, on channel 0129.

If this goes well I'm afraid that they're going to let me do it again sometime soon, so be warned!

I'm actually doing the show live, rather than pre-recording it, and I hope that at least some of you can tune in...

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Nick Harrison

" Another loose monkey in the cock-pit " - quote, great news and goodluck with your first solo flight Tony. Will be listening in for a right grand educated musical journey :thumbsup: .

Thanks

Nick.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Thanks Tony - well worth the call to the studio for the information on the very rich and soulfull unissued "Welcome Back Baby" - Odia Coates. Also the very hot off the press George Soule " Midnight Affair ", Meadow Brothers - She's Gone and ( Meryl ) or Merell Knight and the Pips version of " Seconds Of Love " minus mother Glady's voice.

And not forgetting the" large raspberry" for those who failed to musically intergrate with the Jamaican edge of your show. :ohmy::P

Thanks.

Nikolas :D .

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...and thank you too, Nick.

I had a great time on the show and I thank all who called in with encouragement and constructive criticism. I haven't 'flown solo' on the radio since the 80s, so I was very nervous, and to that end I'm more than a little gratefiul for the calming influence(!) of troubleshooter-in-chief Monumental Mole and his son/my godson Sir Lord Alfie, the top 10 year old 'button muppet' in the solar system. Without them around I would a) not have known that we had lost the satellite signal during the last 20 minutes and b) had a complete meltdown when I found out.

I'm less grateful to the anonymous pillock who called in to berate me every time that I played something that didn't fit the perameters of an obviously narrow viewpoint on what does and what doen't constitute 'soul'. Do me a favour, old son, and don't listen next time I'm on (if there is to be a next time).

Here's what I played, roughly broken up into 30 minute segments. We may have missed noting down one or two in the 'technically difficult' last bit, but what you see is largely what you heard!:

1000 - 1030:

Ken Boothe – You To Me Are Everything (Ja. LTD)

Lee Vanderbilt – Pick Up Your Troubles (UK Bell)

The Intruders – I’m Girl Scouting (Gamble)

Bobby Bland – Just Keep on Loving Me (Duke)

The Patterson Singers – That’s Understanding (Atco)

Gladys Knight & The Pips – Seconds (Columbia)

J J Williams – Lord Have Mercy On My Soul (Polydor)

The New Birth – Falling in Love Part 1 (Warner Brothers)

1030 - 1100

Willie Williams – No One Can Stop Us (Ja. Studio One)

The Four Tops and the Supremes – Knock On my Door (Dutch Tamla Motown)

Syreeta – Come And Get This Stuff (Motown)

George Soule – Midnight Affair (Kent 100 Club 32nd Anniversary)

Lord Creator – Such Is Life (Ja. Randy’s)

Clifford Curry – That’s What I Like About You (Compleat)

Jimmy Bo Horne – Clean Up Man (Alston)

The Meters – Darling Darling Darling (Josie LP)

Delroy Wilson – Pretty Girl (Ja. Pressure Beat)

1100 - 1130

The Passions – One Night Affair (GSF)

George Jackson - Getting The Bills (But No Merchandise) (Fame Unissued)

O B McClinton – Two Big Legs and A Short Red Dress (Fame Unissued)

Al Husdon and the Soul Partners – I Got A Notion (ABC)

Jimmy Bo Horne – On A Street Corner (Dade)

Odia Coates – Welcome Back Baby (Fame Unissued)

Marcell Strong – Mumble In My Ear (Unedited Version) (Fame Unissued)

Marcia Griffiths – Let Me Hold You Tight (Ja. Coxsone)

1130 - 1200

Danny Hernandez and the Ones – As Long As I’ve Got You (Rare Earth)

The Stylistics – Point Of No Return (Avco)

The Stridells – Mix It Up (Yvette)

Roy C – I Found A Man (In My Bed) (Alaga)

The Meadows – She’s Gone (Radio)

Freddie North – I Loved Another Woman (Mankind)

Betty Wright – Pure Love (Alston)

Wild Fire – I’m In Need Of You (Chess)

The Dixie Drifter – A Funky Little Thing (Amy)

Something for everyone with a smidgeon of good taste...

TONE

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

...and thank you too, Nick.

The Meadows – She’s Gone (Radio)

Something for everyone with a smidgeon of good taste...

Indeed and thank you for playlisting as above Tony. Could I draw your attention to the Meadows 80's uplifting tune you so kindly played (and not the Mellows as I listed :shhh: ). Radio 45 or LP format, whatever, are these the same boys who recorded on Kayvette? and can I find this today with little or no fuss...........doubtful :lol: .

Thanks in respect.

Nikolas :D.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Indeed and thank you for playlisting as above Tony. Could I draw your attention to the Meadows 80's uplifting tune you so kindly played (and not the Mellows as I listed :shhh: ). Radio 45 or LP format, whatever, are these the same boys who recorded on Kayvette? and can I find this today with little or no fuss...........doubtful :lol: .

Thanks in respect.

Nikolas :D.

Hi again -

Same Meadows Brothers as on Kayvette, yes. The lead singer, Wilson Meadows, also had at least one pretty decent CDs out in the early 90s on Bob Grady Records out of Calhoun, Gerogia.

I wouldn't think that 'She's Gone' would be that hard a record to find. The other side is called 'Body Power' in case you see it listed anywhere under that title.

Fantastic record IMO, with a wonderfully emotional and very believable lead vocal. I can never resist a song that mentions ist subject by name...

Social source share

thanks tony great show, every tune a killer. i just emailed mole the show if you want to listen again. including the dead air comments when you thought the mike was off... top man you are a icon..

all the best johnny barbouni

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert