Is The 'Upfront' Soul Scene Disappearing Up It'S Own A*se?

Len

I am with Winnie on this.

Maybe time for the upfront folk to cut their ties with the northern oldies scene

Very good point Steve but think it's a bit back to front.

Maybe better if the Northern classic punters cut their ties with the rest of the Soul scene & leave us be.

After all their scene is more based around a dancable beat & includes quite a lot of pop songs that 'sound like Soul'.

None of that on the rare & underplayed, modern, r&b scenes etc.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I wasn't there, so shouldn't really comment....but should imagine Black Sugar 'Too late' was probably played by Sam or Arthur (pretty sure they have both been playing it out recently), and unless Dave Thorley sneaked a latin track in his set that would be that, as they say.

A couple of tracks over a full night at most......

God forbid! :lol:

By Chr*st, I think we're amongst the most guilty to play Latin Soul Mace! Do you remember Bad Breath by Bobby Valentine on Fania I used to play?... I was so proud of that record! lol....Still got Joe Bataan - Gypysy Woman - Fania (and still play it!) lol

...So to summerise...I best put my 50 / 50 Alnighter on hold then aye? - Twas good market research anyhow. See y'all wherever you may choose to go...

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

HI CHALKS,

Sorry if the above reply felt like it was been made directly at you. I was just trying to generalise about peoples expectations of events.

Yes i would expect you and many others to be a little protective of your part of the soul scene because of your commitment ,time and passion for soul music, but please dont join the us and them brigade as that particular club needs dibanding asap.

Must visit Lifeline soon as i have not been since the days of Sheridans.

ROY

I don't need to join any brigade, I say it as I see it...whether that view is right or wrong is a different matter.

Social source share

By Chr*st, I think we're amongst the most guilty to play Latin Soul Mace! Do you remember Bad Breath by Bobby Valentine on Fania I used to play?... I was so proud of that record! lol....Still got Joe Bataan - Gypysy Woman - Fania (and still play it!) lol

...So to summerise...I best put my 50 / 50 Alnighter on hold then aye? - Twas good market research anyhow. See y'all wherever you may choose to go...

All the best,

Len.

Len, I still collect and play plenty of Latin, it's more popular than ever (though not on the Northern Scene)....... prices have gone crazy for this stuff in the last few years.

We play more than our fair share of it at Bidds Allnighter, in fact I'd doubt you'd hear as much at any other current niter in the U.K.

I posted a link for a new movie/doc about the rise and fall of Latin Boogaloo music in the articles section, click the link and watch the trailer video......

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/welikeitlikethat/we-like-it-like-that-the-story-of-latin-boogaloo

P.S. you spelt Gypsy wrong....I'm presuming it's words with a 'Y' in them that you struggle with?

:lol: :lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Len, I still collect and play plenty of Latin, it's more popular than ever (though not on the Northern Scene)....... prices have gone crazy for this stuff in the last few years.

We play more than our fair share of it at Bidds Allnighter, in fact I'd doubt you'd hear as much at any other current niter in the U.K.

I posted a link for a new movie/doc about the rise and fall of Latin Boogaloo music in the articles section, click the link and watch the trailer video......

https://www.kickstart...-latin-boogaloo

P.S. you spelt Gypsy wrong....I'm presuming it's words with a 'Y' in them that you struggle with?

:lol: :lol:

DOH!!! - Damn you Mace! - I even got the record out to check, it's those silent 'Y's...

Len.

P.s - I still love Latin Soul (My guilty pleasure)

Social source share

It was good to see you Billy!

Dave played a great set. If you are reading this Mr Thorley - what was the second to last record you played?

If Ted was right then the acetate was an un-released track The Delights, recorded on the same day, same session as Nu-Rons-All of my life. I have the rights to it and was planning to put it out some time next year. Sweet harmony thing in the same style as the Nu-Rons Joan ?

Social source share

Ok,

Back to the original post (Kind of!) Welcome to the All-nighter 'In my mind' Where we all get together 2000 plus people (@ £7.50 each to get in) D.J's under the instruction of play what you want of course! Would this 50 / 50 line up work for you?

10.30 -11.00 Me (Cos it's my do! lol) :rofl::D

11.00 - 12.00 - Butch (To get everyone there on time!)

12.-00 - 1.00 - Brian Rae.

1.00 - 2.00 - Dave Thorley.

2.00 - 3.00 - Mick .H.

3.00 - 4.00 - Ginger Taylor.

4.00 - 5,00 - Soul Sam.

5.00 - 6.00 - Andy Dyson.

... "A queue to get in...a queue to get out"...Just like the ol' days!

...It ain't gonna happen though is it?! lol...

Edited by LEN
Social source share

If Ted was right then the acetate was an un-released track The Delights, recorded on the same day, same session as Nu-Rons-All of my life. I have the rights to it and was planning to put it out some time next year. Sweet harmony thing in the same style as the Nu-Rons Joan ?

Sounds like that's the one Dave. It looked like an acetate on the deck camera - plain black.

Loved it!

Social source share

That's me that is.....................

I do leave the house, and I am quite able to love and collect original vinyl !

60s Soul / Boogaloo / Ska / RnB without being part of any scene.

I am happy just digging on my own

You don't need a scene that is falling apart to love vintage music that you have always loved anyway !

Peace !

- Minute analysis of everything resulting in a plethora of what some folk seem to think are molten nuggets of bronzed wisdom (occasionally and entertainingly offered-up by those who have a vested interest or other agenda, never leave the house / haven't done so for twenty years, can't dress themself yet, were / still are completely off their tits)

That's me that is.....................

I do leave the house, and I am quite able to love and collect original vinyl !

60s Soul / Boogaloo / Ska / RnB without being part of any scene.

I am happy just digging on my own

You don't need a scene that is falling apart to love vintage music that you have always loved anyway !

Peace !

Edited by chalky
mp3 removed as per site rules
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok,

Back to the original post (Kind of!) Welcome to the All-nighter 'In my mind' Where we all get together 2000 plus people (@ £7.50 each to get in) D.J's under the instruction of play what you want of course! Would this 50 / 50 line up work for you?

2.00 - 3.00 - Mick .H.

4.00 - 5,00 - Soul Sam.

No, highly unlikely and would most likely result in half the room standing up as the other half sat down - based on current entrenched views and opinions............

Social source share

Ok,

2.00 - 3.00 - Mick .H.

4.00 - 5,00 - Soul Sam.

most people wouldnt turn up until 11 probably Len :lol:

Social source share

Kev, Great signature, but.....

Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est aure. ? ? ? ?

I think that should be

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Now write it out on the colosseum wall 100 times!

:D

Social source share

i dont think ah alnighter with hour sets of rare and oldies would work,as has been said too many only dance to 'their' thing..personally i like two rooms so i can switch between the two...if only one room i would prefer mainly all unknown/undreplayed to all oldies as would a lot on here but most of us are collectors so still have that desire for sumfin new...as we know their are more who wanna dance to things they know,which isnt exclusive to northern...i did an indie gig for 4 years and started off trying to get them into..well small inderpendant bands.. but it soon become apparent all they wanted was the big hits....at go go children we play unknown and oldies but each dj mixes it up in a 3/4 hour set BUT we have the luxury of being in a big city with a crowd split in the middle with soulies and youngsters who are hearing it all for the first time and just wanna dance to sumfin good so are not blinkered....

the scene may be spilt and may get smaller especially if the recession drags on but is that a bad thing?...there will be those who go to one and those who go to the other and some like me who generally can enjoy both...i suppose the oldies scene although the biggest at the moment is more likely to shrink first because of the average age of the punter ?

dean

Social source share

Sorry but I didn't play any obscure R&B nor any Latin in the rare room last night. Much of what I played was uptempo 60's soul music, few 70's early on in the set.

No one forced you to go in there nor to Derby Assembly rooms itself.

Northern Soul is a term not a type of music. Its umbrella covers a wide range of music, pop, soul, R&B & latin and others.

Well, that is one of the problems CHALKY, it means that to some, whilst to others it means midtempo to uptempo 60s Soul from 1964 onwards - ie the birth of that uptown dance sound (with a few early exceptions) and midtempo to uptempo 70s Soul records...in both those categories there are thousands of rare and underplayed records...R'n'B, Latin etc are different 'genres 'to quite a lot of people and although we all know that 'northern Soul' cannot be strictly used as a generic form of reference, as a label it defines a particular variety of American Dance orienated Soul Music quite distinctly for a lot of people...personally I do not like R'n'B or latin and it sounds like a different genre to me, but then again I hate the overplayed culture which ultimately debases truly brilliant records simply through utter boredom (and cynical trouser lining)which is a crying shame...and spend most of my time musically at home searching out B sides and album tracks which have never/hardly ever recieved plays - and what a treasure trove there is... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Ok,

2.00 - 3.00 - Mick .H.

4.00 - 5,00 - Soul Sam.

Doesn't really work for me Len, you've got 2000 people in, and the DJs are under instruction to play what they want, we know from multiple threads the majority of the northern scene is made up of 'Oldies' fans so would Dave for instance, who's following Brian be obliged to cater for them as well. It would be a big call for any of those DJs to ignore the dance floor in favour of playing something different don't you think? Consequently would they really have a free hand ..........

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Why didnt you just start the thread with your last post as this is what you were probably gearing up to initially anyway Len?

Hi Kev,

Not at all mate, the thread’s about why there is such a difference in attendance between the two events and is there anything about the upfront soul scene that stops more people attending (One extreme to another maybe?)

Adding another all-nighter to the soul calenda is the last thing on my mind! Lol :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Doesn't really work for me Len, you've got 2000 people in, and the DJs are under instruction to play what they want, we know from multiple threads the majority of the northern scene is made up of 'Oldies' fans so would Dave for instance, who's following Brian be obliged to cater for them as well. It would be a big call for any of those DJs to ignore the dance floor in favour of playing something different don't you think? Consequently would they really have a free hand ..........

Hi Win,

I think your right, the split must have widened sinse the days of the the 90's, The Ritz in Manchester etc, pretty sure we were all dancing to upfront / oldies, the lot back then (You were there mate)

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Win,

I think your right, the split must have widened sinse the days of the the 90's, The Ritz in Manchester etc, pretty sure we were all dancing to upfront / oldies, the lot back then (You were there mate)

All the best,

Len.

You might have a point there. I remember the CIS in Manchester in the late 90s was fairly mixed up in the main room between current nighter sounds, rarely played stuff and classic oldies. It is only in the last ten or fifteen years that the rarely played and leftfield has retreated into a second room at most venues. I suppose the only place that keeps it all in the same room is Lifeline.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Why didnt you just start the thread with your last post as this is what you were probably gearing up to initially anyway Len?

says the fella that attends nowt :thumbsup: ........unless he,s djing

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

says the fella that attends nowt :thumbsup: ........unless he,s djing

:lol: Yep, saw that coming! - At least you beat Terry to it! lol (Was meant tongue in cheek though)

Len.

you,ve got em in completly the wrong order..........have you learn,t nothing yet :D

Social source share

You might have a point there. I remember the CIS in Manchester in the late 90s was fairly mixed up in the main room between current nighter sounds, rarely played stuff and classic oldies. It is only in the last ten or fifteen years that the rarely played and leftfield has retreated into a second room at most venues. I suppose the only place that keeps it all in the same room is Lifeline.

Bidds and Burnley too, what about the 100 as well?

Social source share

Well, that is one of the problems CHALKY, it means that to some, whilst to others it means midtempo to uptempo 60s Soul from 1964 onwards - ie the birth of that uptown dance sound (with a few early exceptions) and midtempo to uptempo 70s Soul records...in both those categories there are thousands of rare and underplayed records...R'n'B, Latin etc are different 'genres 'to quite a lot of people and although we all know that 'northern Soul' cannot be strictly used as a generic form of reference, as a label it defines a particular variety of American Dance orienated Soul Music quite distinctly for a lot of people...personally I do not like R'n'B or latin and it sounds like a different genre to me, but then again I hate the overplayed culture which ultimately debases truly brilliant records simply through utter boredom (and cynical trouser lining)which is a crying shame...and spend most of my time musically at home searching out B sides and album tracks which have never/hardly ever recieved plays - and what a treasure trove there is... :hatsoff2:

Like you I think it is a crying shame so many good records are totally ignored because of the over played culture and blinkered people. It seems to me that the social night out is far more important to some than the progression of the scene or hearing something different.

It's a shame you spend most of your time at home seeking out B sides and album tracks as there are plenty of venues catering for the underplayed, semi/unknown.

Social source share

Len the scene has been morphing for years there was a big surge 8/10 years ago where people turned up from anywhere and everywhere and for me that was when it all started changing. With the massive influx of bodies came the watering down of the northern scene, soul nights/nighters started springing up everywhere and most of them were exactly the same format, oldies, because that was what the crowd demanded. This particular audience wanted to have a drink, the odd dance, show everybody they had talc with them and chat and be chatted to by the opposite sex, above all they wanted it on their doorstep, cue the end of the northern scene as we knew/know it. Northern became a catch all for anybody over 35, reasonably trouble free, ideal for those still wanting a life of sorts, but the music policy suffered. Venues started catering for the 'once a month' crew, who weren't/aren't overly worried about moving forward, which is their choice, but I kind of see it as the they nicked the term northern, which to be honest was a bit of a cheek, but essential in their eyes to promote their wares. It's a sad state of affairs, but there's no doubt in my mind that it's definitely two completely different scenes now and I don't think it will change :(

A perfect summary of the whole situation!

Social source share

Guest kev such

I think that should be

Ok Cocky, but are you not referring to the past tense rather than the present tense?

Social source share

I think that should be

Ok Cocky, but are you not referring to the past tense rather than the present tense?

Definitely present tense "I can't hear you, there IS a banana in my ear"? - I think....... :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Social source share

More oldies?

Really?

Yes, seriously. Be good if anyone out there considers themselves in that 'Camp' and can confirm this - as in someone who mainly attends the big oldies all-nighters but would welcome at leat a few more different sounds.

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

All the best,

Len.

Love the latin....don't hear much of this sort of stuff though.

Social source share

I wouldn't have Butch more or less warming up and Andy Dyson closing the night out. They are the top two DJ's in the country on the nighter scene right now and the timing of their sets should reflect that (IMO of course).

Hi Chalky,

Yes, that's absolutelly right for us, I was just mixing it up to see if it would attract people who attend the big oldies venues. There would definatelly be a 'queue to get in and a queue to get out' though wouldn't there? Butch would set the theme and I'm sure Andy's finishing set would be a blnder.

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I wouldn't have Butch more or less warming up and Andy Dyson closing the night out. They are the top two DJ's in the country on the nighter scene right now and the timing of their sets should reflect that (IMO of course).

Agree with ya chalky......however such is the calibre of these fellas and the nature of how nighters work that having either of these two

on at say 4 in the morning gives the venue a massive lift and would be eagerly awaited.... tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

If upfront means that I get home the following morning thinking 'OMG, what just happened there' then that's good enough for me. I cannot put into words the ecstasy I feel at hearing something I've never heard before that makes me stop in my tracks with awe.

These day's I'll not knock anyone for their choice of listening pleasure. After all, it all means different things to each and every one of us. Some like the comfort of familiarity and some like the thrill of a new experience. My choice is to attend venues that 'do it for me' and those that don't will attend another venue that does it for them :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Doesnt go much to say with the first one goes on or the last one goes off, i do agree they are the top 2 dj's in the country, but theres also so many top dj's around, u can have the best records going, but to me it is how u play a set, a fine example at derby joan, dave t and ted m, missed ur set chalky but i did hear it was good. cheers billy

Social source share

Like you I think it is a crying shame so many good records are totally ignored because of the over played culture and blinkered people. It seems to me that the social night out is far more important to some than the progression of the scene or hearing something different.

It's a shame you spend most of your time at home seeking out B sides and album tracks as there are plenty of venues catering for the underplayed, semi/unknown.

I didn't mean I don't go out, I do, but when I am at home I am still always looking for records I don't know, there is even a buzz when you are sat on your own and you find something that touches you, (I just wonder what do all these people who go to stale oldies do's listen to at home, those records over and over? - or do they not listen to Soul inbetween their fix's)...so why people only want to hear records they know when they are actually travelling somewhere even if it's only a few miles away has always been strange to me...last year in Madrid BUTCH played some 60s Northern girly thing I'd never heard and it was just like hearing one of the original classics in the 70s for me...Only difference was he told me what it was and my now decrepit memory had forgotten it by the next morning, something by a group beginning with 'S' and on a light blue label, been bugging me all year!... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

I didn't mean I don't go out, I do, but when I am at home I am still always looking for records I don't know, there is even a buzz when you are sat on your own and you find something that touches you, (I just wonder what do all these people who go to stale oldies do's listen to at home, those records over and over? - or do they not listen to Soul inbetween their fix's)...so why people only want to hear records they know when they are actually travelling somewhere even if it's only a few miles away has always been strange to me...last year in Madrid BUTCH played some 60s Northern girly thing I'd never heard and it was just like hearing one of the original classics in the 70s for me...Only difference was he told me what it was and my now decrepit memory had forgotten it by the next morning, something by a group beginning with 'S' and on a light blue label, been bugging me all year!... :hatsoff2:

I personally like olidies and the do's I go to are predominantly oldies nights. I have been to all nighters in the past use to go to Lowton ritz in manchester I havent been to an all nighter for a long time though but when I'am at home I listen to ska reggae funk 60's beat r&b out of my collection so as an oldies fan my personal tastes are quite varied. I personally dont know about other people who attend oldies nights but sometimes I must admit I get a bit frustrated with people who dont want to here other things.

Social source share

my partner and have attended many venues over the years including all types of "northern soul", we appreciate and enjoy records. We have attended "upfront" nites and at venues such as lifeline the floor never gets packed and most people are socialising standing round talking etc if this music is so great why are people not packing the floor. Im sad that the scene has got so divided why cant it be more mixed to please all??? perhaps it has gone to far for that and wishful thinking on my part. You may think reading this i must be part of the oldies or nothing scene, but you will be wrong im all for hearing something different but on a niter i would enjoy a mixture of sounds, good atmosphere and a packed floor

Social source share

I personally think the scene is to fragmented and everything is over analyzed because somebody played this and he said that and you go to that do etc etc I think the northern soul scene needs to have a good look at its self, somethings got a give.

Social source share

my partner and have attended many venues over the years including all types of "northern soul", we appreciate and enjoy records. We have attended "upfront" nites and at venues such as lifeline the floor never gets packed and most people are socialising standing round talking etc if this music is so great why are people not packing the floor. Im sad that the scene has got so divided why cant it be more mixed to please all??? perhaps it has gone to far for that and wishful thinking on my part. You may think reading this i must be part of the oldies or nothing scene, but you will be wrong im all for hearing something different but on a niter i would enjoy a mixture of sounds, good atmosphere and a packed floor

blimey thats a tad harsh on Lifeline aint it, ive been there a few times and very rarely see an empty floor and tell me a venue that dont have peeps standing around chatting, we cant dance to every tune can we, oh and i hate packed floors it cramps me style :D but defo agree on getting a nice balance and mix up of new and old etc :thumbsup:

Social source share

Last lifeline floor was full for most of the night Tammy. Time before was quieter but hopefully it's onwards and upwards :thumbsup:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!