Greatest Northern Soul Record (fast)

Tomangoes

• Replies 65
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Kick it off with 'You dont mean it' Towanda Barnes.

Can listen to this over and over but could never do it justice on a dancefloor.

Ed

One of the best records I ever heard. Reading this put it on the decks and dance in a hectic manner across the room :yes:

Can't really think of a Northern Soul Record that's too fast to dance to. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

ok i've been wracking my brains for ages about who sings this, but it's the fastest thing i've heard but brilliant and practically undancable.. so here are some lyrics if anyone can help me out.

old stafford sound i think, rough tough 60s soul.

title i think is 'not like you boy'? female vocal, very fast, nice female backing as well

starts with 'The way he kisses me, and holds me tight... he tells me in the morning everything's alright... i ask him if he loves me, he says i do.. baby i love you..'

chorus is.. 'but not like you boy..aha yeah..not like you..'

any ideas? i feel a twat not being able to remember it.

matt

Social source share

That got me to searching Matt ranting_1.gif I came acros the Ambers, I Love You Baby - that's fast not to mention brilliant LOL - of course, not the track you want. I found another fast stafford track though.... Reese Flores, Look Into My Heart WHOOOOOSH whistling.gif

Edited by Soulgirl
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Kick it off with 'You dont mean it' Towanda Barnes.

Can listen to this over and over but could never do it justice on a dancefloor.

Ed

In one Ed ! What a voice ! What Emotion ! What a song !

Just fookin stunning.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

ok i've been wracking my brains for ages about who sings this, but it's the fastest thing i've heard but brilliant and practically undancable.. so here are some lyrics if anyone can help me out.

Remembered whistling.gif it's Barbara Christian - Not Like You Boy - Brownie, absolute stormer ranting_1.gif

Social source share

That got me to searching Matt :thumbsup: I came acros the Ambers, I Love You Baby - that's fast not to mention brilliant LOL - of course, not the track you want. I found another fast stafford track though.... Reese Flores, Look Into My Heart WHOOOOOSH :thumbsup:

Ree Flores... brilliant track!! whistling.gif

And it took some keeping up with before it was played at Stafford! ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

I think that one would be:

No Ifs, No Ands, No Buts - Mae Young - Karate

Great tune, and for martial arts fans it looks superb as a white demo.

An excellent fast record (obtained from a very old Soul Bowl soul pack is:

Lee Tillman - She's The One I Love - Whit

I assume everyone has got one of these? Not listed in Manship's guide???

Social source share

Donnie Burkes "Satisfaction Guaranteed " !!!!!!!!!

And I just love that spoken intro on the record " Ladies and Gentleman...........Donnie Burkes " !!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup

This is one of the records that got me into this wonderful scene, i had it on a tape that was lent to me back in the late 70's, i had to physically tape the cassette by placing another recorder next to the speaker of a mates cassette player (did you understand that!)...Anyway i loved this record to death...i eventually got it on a Pink "demo" from Richard Domark....the flip is actually my favoured side all these years later.

On a side note..i was in Camden many moons ago, and i was in Jazzmans store, when i saw a copy of the Donnie Burks LP...on asking for the LP, "Jazzman"..after looking for an age through about a million LP white paper sleeves behind the desk ..... told me "Sorry but i'm afraid i can't find it" wink.gif

Brett.......

PS..i eventually got the album. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Donnie Burkes "Satisfaction Guaranteed " !!!!!!!!!

And I just love that spoken intro on the record " Ladies and Gentleman...........Donnie Burkes " !!!!!!!!!!

:thumbup

I featured that on my website a month or two back - I also have it as my ringtone... really great tune - reminds me of Las Vegas rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Here's one i've known for 20 years, but havent a scooby who it is.

Its on the Leicester anni video. Keb plays it downstairs. i think it was played in the main hall on the video too.

And it goes a little something like this.. :wicked:

I ___ __ __ love affairs

I found you my love.

ypu said your love was true

but I walked out on you.

now that I felt your thrilling touch

i miss your lovin oh so much

hey hey

i didnt know you didnt love me.

I did say something like this :wicked:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Here's one i've known for 20 years, but havent a scooby who it is.

Its on the Leicester anni video. Keb plays it downstairs. i think it was played in the main hall on the video too.

And it goes a little something like this.. :wicked:

I ___ __ __ love affairs

I found you my love.

ypu said your love was true

but I walked out on you.

now that I felt your thrilling touch

i miss your lovin oh so much

hey hey

i didnt know you didnt love me.

I did say something like this :yes:

Wilbur Reynolds - Who'll Cry - Resist :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

Another supersonic one (as well as super-soulful):

Sunlovers - You'll Never Make The Grade - Mutt & Jeff

Anyone manage to dance to this, or even play it to a full (and presumably very hot!!) dancefloor?

Social source share

Wilbur Reynolds - Who'll Cry - Resist :wicked:

Another Stafford one that knackered me even then: Kebs old Marvellos C/U Ravin Mads: where is love, left me scrambling for the inhaler

Social source share

I danced to the Velvets - I Gotta Find Me Somebody courtesy of Steve Csordas last night... I was certainly out of breath and sweating a goodun after that one :wicked:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Another Stafford one that knackered me even then: Kebs old Marvellos C/U Ravin Mads: where is love, left me scrambling for the inhaler

:unsure: Gary Rushbrooke and Keb seemed intent on killing dancers even in the early '80s! Can remember these palyed in this order:

1. Vondells - Hey Girl You've Changed

2. Naturals - Don't Just Stand There

3. Gordon Keith - Look Ahead

wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

:unsure: Gary Rushbrooke and Keb seemed intent on killing dancers even in the early '80s! Can remember these palyed in this order:

1. Vondells - Hey Girl You've Changed

2. Naturals - Don't Just Stand There

3. Gordon Keith - Look Ahead

wink.gif

Follow that with the Soul Set, and I am off to A&E

The Vondells what a record ! Never got my mitt's on one of these either :P

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Follow that with the Soul Set, and I am off to A&E

The Vondells what a record ! Never got my mitt's on one of these either :unsure:

Soul Set another great Keb spin from that era along with (also incredibly fast): Chryslers with The Monarchs Band - I'm Not Gonna Lose You

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert