Geeselad

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have it on Epic, just as "Rena Scott". So, it may be a later version. Here's a scan:

renascott.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I remember George McGregor talking about producing this. It's unusual that it was a small. independent production, and yet, the producers and arrangers on each side are different. MacGregor used Miller Brisker (Bonnie's father) as his arranger. The flip, "Set Me Free", was produced by Tyrone Hite, and arranged by Sonny Sanders. That leads me to wonder if both recordings were funded by The Grand Junction owner and he released it locally, and after decent Detroit sales, he leased it to Epic. Or, if the Grand Junction was a different recording, and Hite & McGregor took the newer version to Epic.

Is the flip

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hi Rob

When I spoke to George he told me that Black Rock was his label and the first release for Little Rene Scott song. He also put out Butch & The Newport (early incarnation of The Gaslight) and Chuck Armstrong on the label.

All great records as well. Oliver cheatham in Butch / newports / Gaslight as I recall. And chuck Armstrong - the man never made a duffer. The one on Black Rock is a nice mellow crossover.

Social source share

I don't know how many of each pressing got to The UK. But, in USA, back when the record was out, and into the early 1970s (up till 1972 ), I saw many, many more of the Grand Junction issue. Both the Black Rock, and the Epic issues were rare. The Grand Junction was fairly commoln. My "coverage" was mostly in Chicago, Detroit, L.A., San Diego, San Francisco/Oakland, Portland (Oregon), Seattle, Vancouver B.C. Indianapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Kansas City. it was lesser so in the Northeastern cities, Canadian cities and NO coverage in Southern USA.

Social source share

I just has a look at the available copies from all the usual sellers and they are 90% 'Black Rock'

Strange world...

Sometimes multiple boxes of a particular US 45 got to Britain, when NO COPIES of that record ever reached a record shop in USA. Sometimes the rarist US pressing becomes the common one on The Northern Scene. It's a LOTR more "unbelievable" (and exasperating) to us North Americans than to you Brits (especially to those of you who thought (and still think) that we, across the pond, didn't want this obscure Soul music, and it was just sitting in warehouses waiting for you to "rescue" it, and bring it to a good home". I wanted it as badly as any of you.

Social source share

Sometimes multiple boxes of a particular US 45 got to Britain, when NO COPIES of that record ever reached a record shop in USA. Sometimes the rarist US pressing becomes the common one on The Northern Scene. It's a LOTR more "unbelievable" (and exasperating) to us North Americans than to you Brits (especially to those of you who thought (and still think) that we, across the pond, didn't want this obscure Soul music, and it was just sitting in warehouses waiting for you to "rescue" it, and bring it to a good home". I wanted it as badly as any of you.

Good point and interesting angle.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert