Where Is The Cut Off Line Between Motortown And N Soul?

Guest adidaschile62

Guest in town Mikey

I'd say its a sliding scale. As I've said before, Lynne Davies dropping Aint no Mountain High Enough into a set at the 100 club, had the whole room bouncing and singing along. Play it to just about anybody over 40 in the western world, and they will know the song immediately. But that night it was every bit as 'Northern' as the latest RCA acetate discovery that Ady would have been playing.

I do know Northern Soul fans who dont particularly like Motown. I find it extremely difficult to find more than 3 or 4 Motown tunes that I dont love.

To the original poster I would say, dont get too hung up on where the imaginary line is drawn. Its all soul. Some soul is poppy, some is raw and gritty. Trying to pidgeon hole which is which is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Social source share

I'd say its a sliding scale. As I've said before, Lynne Davies dropping Aint no Mountain High Enough into a set at the 100 club, had the whole room bouncing and singing along. Play it to just about anybody over 40 in the western world, and they will know the song immediately. But that night it was every bit as 'Northern' as the latest RCA acetate discovery that Ady would have been playing.

I do know Northern Soul fans who dont particularly like Motown. I find it extremely difficult to find more than 3 or 4 Motown tunes that I dont love.

To the original poster I would say, dont get too hung up on where the imaginary line is drawn. Its all soul. Some soul is poppy, some is raw and gritty. Trying to pidgeon hole which is which is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

rather than be obtuse, I'd say your right, it is a sliding scale its all about context isnt it. Ive heard Micheal proctor and DJ gemini played and loved by to an oldies crowd who would lynch anyone who suggested they were into modern soul. Similarly midtempo 60's can definatly suit a crossover crowd, indeed 6ts cuts were played @ venues like Parkers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

rather than be obtuse, I'd say your right, it is a sliding scale its all about context isnt it. Ive heard Micheal proctor and DJ gemini played and loved by to an oldies crowd who would lynch anyone who suggested they were into modern soul. Similarly midtempo 60's can definatly suit a crossover crowd, indeed 6ts cuts were played @ venues like Parkers.

Context is absolutely hitting the nail on the head. And knowing that context probably separates the DJs from the collector who DJs.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!