Hype & Soul - Al Abrams - In Stock Now

Neil Rushton

HYPE & SOUL - BEHIND THE SCENES AT MOTOWN

AL ABRAMS

(TEMPLE STREET PUBLISHING)

The book is in stock now and getting rave reviews!

"The finest music book published in last decade" - Paul Nixon, Producer of Cellarful Of Motown series

"Maybe the best book about Motown I have ever viewed" - John Manship

"Awesome" - Sean Chapman

"A visual delight" - Ray Ellis, Juke Blues

"A fabulous book that explores the cultural phenomena that was Motown" - Andy Peebles.

"Immense" - Richard Searling

The book is available as a First Edition de-luxe full colour hardback and is 288 pages long.

Al Abrams was Berry Gordy's first employee for what went on to become Motown. Al ended up as the label's legendary Director Of Publicity and amassed a huge archive of Motown memorabilia, The book is made up of brand new essays by Al about his time at Hitsville and is surrounded by a stunning display of images including press releases, photographs, rare newspaper clippings, record label scans, company documents and so on from his archives.

The first 500 copies come with a bonus single - a red vinyl replica of the 1964 Tamla Motown Appreciation Society Single.

Price is £34.99 plus postage. To order online go to - www.soulvation.biz

Or you can order from Amazon but please note the £29,99 offer is from Amazon AND THEY DON'T AND WON'T HAVE THE BOOK FOR SALE THEY ARE JUST TRYING IT ON. The other listing is from me and we do have the book for in stock!

Thanks,

Neil

Neil

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just finished my copy - couldn't believe some of the stunts Al pulled to get publicity [ the Tommy Good story for example ]. And the bollocks he showed time and time again [i think he terms it chutzpah! ]

It's right what Al says, no matter how good the music was we may never have got to hear it if Motown had not been successful. And Al certainly played his part.

When I think what this music meant to me when it first hit me as a 14 y.o. in 1966, and what happened after that , it makes me shudder to think of life without Motown, which presumably would also be life without all the wannabees and imitators whose records I've been collecting ever since !

The other thought I had is that still, even after all these years, the Yanks don't really seem to understand what they had music-wise in Detroit and elsewhere in the 1960's and later ?

Following on a long line of people,[ including Dave Godin, The RSG crowd, + Dusty in the early years, all the way through the efforts of all my Northern and Motown dj heros through the last 40 odd years ], it takes the likes of Neil [ and Bill and Glenn ] to really make sure these priceless stories and anecdotes are properly presented, published so for all time there will be a record of what actually happened.

Well done guys ! Loved it !

pete lyster

Social source share

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert