David And Ruben Vs Majestics

• Replies 13
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Whats the difference. I always thought the David and Ruben one had no intro? so never bought one. But the clip on John Manships auction has an intro?

Can anyone confirm?

Confused of Cheltenham

i have david and reuben on rampart which has the intro..the version on warner brothers does not

moldie

Social source share

It's when they pressed it on Warner Bros. that they left off the intro.

Rather surprised John Manship has listed it on his auction as the 1st label? I think he'll find he's wrong there, Linda came out first, off the top of my head 1964 ish, the Rampart was 1969. If he flips it over he'll see it says Taken from the album 'Eastside Revue-Volume 2', this L.P. came out in 1969

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Dave & Ruben are the Majestics has far has i know.

i was told that two by someone who replied to one of my you tube clips..ill see if i can fish it out

moldie

Social source share

I read somewhere that David & Ruben on WB was released a few years after the Linda/Rampart copies (maybe 69/70) and that due to the change in musical taste the horns on the introduction made the song sound too dated, so they dropped them for this release. Been trying to find where a read this, but can't find it anywhere.

Social source share

I've always been lead to believe the Majestics on Linda is the first release, which always begs the question - does changing the label and credits ie David and Reuben not make this a re-issue? Therefore being the scurge of all OVO enthusiasts, because lots seem to look at the Rampart release as more desirable, now that is confusing

Social source share

It's when they pressed it on Warner Bros. that they left off the intro.

Rather surprised John Manship has listed it on his auction as the 1st label? I think he'll find he's wrong there, Linda came out first, off the top of my head 1964 ish, the Rampart was 1969. If he flips it over he'll see it says Taken from the album 'Eastside Revue-Volume 2', this L.P. came out in 1969

The first label for DAVID and RUBEN is Rampart. If the Rampart label had credited The MAJESTICS and it had been the same mix as Linda we'd have said it was the second label... It is before warner bros... so it's the First release of this particular mix and crediting. majestics of course the very first "take" and release of this song. David and Rubens on Rampart is before warner bros so it is the first release of this particular take...

Social source share

The first label for DAVID and RUBEN is Rampart. If the Rampart label had credited The MAJESTICS and it had been the same mix as Linda we'd have said it was the second label... It is before warner bros... so it's the First release of this particular mix and crediting. majestics of course the very first "take" and release of this song. David and Rubens on Rampart is before warner bros so it is the first release of this particular take...

But can you call them the same take John ? the Warners doesn't have the whopping great horn intro on it.

An interesting point you have raised, I didn't realise the Linda & Rampart releases were different mixes ? I only have a Rampart demo at the moment, so I don't have a Linda copy to play side by side to compare. I just followed the link that moldie has posted to another thread & someone has said they were pressed from the same stampers ?

Social source share

There seems to be a lot of confusion on David and Ruben let me try and clarify with writing it with precise info. David and Ruben on Rampart is the 1968 re-issue of the 1965 Majestics on Linda. In fact the Rampart press uses the very same Master -stampermas the Linda release The reference I made to the Rampart is the FIRST press was reference to crediting David and Ruben.... As opposed to the 1969 Warner Brothers release which indeed is a different and updated I do hope those precise facts finally clears it up.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert