Emanon's Orchestra - Bird Walkin'

Markw

• Replies 29
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just had a boot finish on ebay £4.99 (No bids) but this has the Pretenders - 'I Wanna be' - on the other side.

Is there another boot , mine is on 'All Brothers' red label?

cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

That's a new one to me,the boot/re-issue is all brothers and a very good one with the same B side as original but one of the number is the wrong way up or something in the run-out,there been a topic on here before.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Just had a boot finish on ebay £4.99 (No bids) but this has the Pretenders - 'I Wanna be' - on the other side.

Is there another boot , mine is on 'All Brothers' red label?

cheers

There's an All Brothers boot that was done in the late 70s with correct flip (actually the A side if my recollection's right) The Emanons Look in the Want Adds

Social source share

My Booty thing is on vinyl with a dip toward the middle and as far as I can see (which ain't far!) only has a scratched CA-1028

on the Pretenders side (CA = Carnival ?) and is marked up as the A side AB-1087 A whereas t- The Eamons Orchestra is marked up as AB-1088 B ?

p.s. Please don't tell me mines worth owt 'cause just relisted it before I read this @ £4.99

Social source share

My Booty thing is on vinyl with a dip toward the middle and as far as I can see (which ain't far!) only has a scratched CA-1028 on the Pretenders side (CA = Carnival ?) and is marked up as the A side AB-1087 A whereas t- The Eamons Orchestra is marked up as AB-1088 B ? Swifty :thumbsup: p.s. Please don't tell me mines worth owt 'cause just relisted it before I read this @ £4.99

I'm talking about the straight reissues/boot of the original. I'll get JM's guide out shortly.

Social source share

Booted at least twice, the mid-70's boot, which was pressed at the height of interest, had both sides of the original. The boot with the Pretenders on the flip is a much later pressing.

I Seem to think that I got this in a Soulbowl soul Pack which would have been late 70's along with Innersection Doh!

Social source share

JM no. 5 guide

Original...

matrix reads A-72869-13 with a scratched virtue directly opposite.

2nd press (legit?)....

matrix reads A 7Z869 - B points to note in the matrix are the 7 resembles a reversed F and the 2 resembles a Z

as said the original is thick heavy vinyl with a noticeable dip a centimetre (give or take a mm or two) from edge of centre hole.

Social source share

It might seem a silly question to ask, but how is it known that the heavier vinyl press is in fact the first and therefore 'original' release? I presume there must be a few facts to substantiate this. So, what are they?

There seems to be some doubt as to whether the 'second' press of lighter weight is a legitimate release (if so, when?) or a bootleg from the 70s. Is anyone actually able to clarify what it is, and isn't?

Having listened to the previously mentioned Sonny Hopson radio show (which, amazingly, I found in a bargain bin at HMV Islington some 6-7 years ago), and having done some reading up on the guy, it seems obvious that he was a natural promoter.

With a band and their new 45 to promote - and with his own nightclub, radio show and status as perfect vehicles to do so - it would seem entirely acceptable for him to have pressed up more copies if needed, especially if his own promotional activity gave the record a second breath of life.

So, what are the actual known facts about the release of this 45?

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

First things first - "The Emanons - Bird Walkin" isn't in fact by "The Emanons" - Sonny Hopson, who owned All Brothers records needed a flip side to the "Emanons - Look In The Want Ads" and got an uncredited instrumental off one of his chums, probably Jesse James, put it on the flip side and credited it to "The Emanons" and christened it "Bird Walkin" so when he was asked about the vocal, he quite rightly didn't have a clue who recorded it, as he had nothing to do with recording the instrmental!!!

Des Parker

Social source share

Booted at least twice, the mid-70's boot, which was pressed at the height of interest, had both sides of the original. The boot with the Pretenders on the flip is a much later pressing.

The boot with "I Wanna Be" on the flip suffers from terrible, tinny sound quality. The other boot has perfect sound quality.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert