Drifters "i Need You Now"

boba

I always thought this was a great funky uptempo record with a really weird edge to it (they intentionally do dischordant harmony at some points). Also, produced by Lou Courtney. I've never seen any reference / discussion of it here or anywhere for that matter. Is this a "known" northern record? What are peoples opinions of it?

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Ha, just pulled this out, gave it a listen, thought "Wow!", googled it, and found this. Great minds etc. etc.

I think it was the first drifters 45 I ever bought, just bought it randomly like 12 years ago, I remember playing it and being confused by the sound. 12 years later it's still confusing. I don't understand why this isn't a known record, isn't there some known northern drifters record?

Social source share

"I Need You Now", as good and punchy as it is, sounds very disjointed/dischordant though. I think there is a bigger chance of the flipside "Still Burning In My Heart" to get spins on the northern scene.

Their "Far From The Maddening Crowd" (written by Dan Penn and the flipisde to "I'll Take You Where The Music's Playing") is another one of theirs which seems to be picking up interest.

Social source share

I always thought this was a great funky uptempo record with a really weird edge to it (they intentionally do dischordant harmony at some points). Also, produced by Lou Courtney. I've never seen any reference / discussion of it here or anywhere for that matter. Is this a "known" northern record? What are peoples opinions of it?

And Lou Courtney is credited as singing Tenor on it along with Johnny Moore, Bill Fredericks and Rick Sheppard. Looks like there was an unreleased version of 'I Dig Your Act' from the same sessions (8 Nov '67) !

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert