Has Anyone Ever Seen A Demo Of

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The seller described that record as 2 Detroit sides, but I sincerely doubt that. Derek Martin was still living in New York in 1967, and his producer and had worked only wit NY writers/producers for many years at that time, despite having been originally from Detroit and, originally in a Detroit vocal group. His songwriter/producer, Teddy Randazzo, worked out of NY, and had standing gigs there as a performing band leader. I really doubt that he went to Detroit to work on that production. He had been Martin's latest producer for Roulette, recording in New York. I assume that Randazzo recorded both the vocals and instrumentals to these 2 Tuba cuts in New York, and through one of Martin's Detroit connections (someone he knew years before, when he worked in Detroit, He and Randazzo leased the masters to Tuba records. When I listen to those 2 cuts, I don't hear Detroit musicians.

Anyone here know who owned Tuba Records? I know their 1700 series (Navy Blue plain text labels) were distributed by Mike Hanks' MAH's Records. But, I'm sure they were at least partly (if not totally owned by someone else). I think that Hanks must have been at least co-owner, as all my 1700 series Tubas have MAH's Music as publisher.

Looking at the producer info., songwriters and music publishers on the post 1966 Tuba Records, one might think that the Tuba 1700 series was a Mike Hanks label, which ended in late 1962 or early 1963, and had nothing to do with the later Tuba (powder blue & graphic tuba player design on label), which ran from 1966-1967. But, I think it's too much of a coincidence that both were located in Detroit with only a 3-year gap. I think that Hanks had a money partner in The 1700 series Tuba, with Hanks handling A&R and being main producer, and the money partner reviving his label in 1966, WITHOUT Hanks, having no in-house production, and just picking up (leasing) productions by local Detroit, AND also East Coast (NY & Philadelphia) productions from independent producers.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert