Guilty Pleasures

Guest soulboy1965

Guest Gogs

Can i ask what's wrong with the records listed on this thread? I have roughly 90% of these and love them all.

Social source share

Always loved JJ Barnes How Long, remember, writing a request to get it played by a dj, think he was called Nick Cowan on local Radio (Lancashire or Merseyside can't remember) he had a 10 minutes slot in the evening midweek, must have been the first northern radio slot ever, circa 77ish. Anyway he played it, I was a spotty teen & made up.

Wow! just spotted this and it took me back, Nick used to pop in for a spot on Radio Merseyside's "Keep on Trucking" hosted by Terry Lennaine on a Monday night, He played a trio of Northern tunes and was ably assisted by myself, Kevin Horsewood and Colin Dilnott much like the spots Richard did with Mike Shaft on Manchester Piccadily. Back in those days it was the only way to hear Northern on the Radio an hour long Northern show was totally unheard of. I think some dj's shyed away from it as c60's & c90's were always popped in ready to record. :g:

Social source share

Ruth Swann-Boy you better move on..was on some dodgy comp full of Spark stuff...was it ever a 45 ? Also has the Mighty Dodos as well which came out on blue spark....btw how can Chris Calloway be a guilty pleasure....uptempo...tick....black...tick....obscure label...tick...maybe its too cheap.

Social source share

Can i ask what's wrong with the records listed on this thread? I have roughly 90% of these and love them all.

Absolutely nothing! (Well, as you say - most of them) That's what makes this thread interesting - I think we are all guilty of subconsciously thinking we don't like them anymore but when reminded, we all still love em. You can never forget ya roots.

I'm still not sure about this one but it was played out for a short while (Round these parts anyway!) :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zse4ovu15I8

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely nothing! (Well, as you say - most of them) That's what makes this thread interesting - I think we are all guilty of subconsciously thinking we don't like them anymore but when reminded, we all still love em. You can never forget ya roots.

I'm still not sure about this one but it was played out for a short while (Round these parts anyway!) :yes:

Only if we're easily influenced, and it looks like it might work in reverse, who's responsible for telling you that ''Bad Breath'' track might be ok :D:P

Edited by Winnie :-)
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I cant see any of the attatchments.

Just in case nobody has posted this gem.

April Stevens - Wanting You.

Love it love it love it.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Only if we're easily influenced, and it looks like it might work in reverse, who's responsible for telling you that ''Bad Breath'' track might be ok :D:P

I have to admit, that may have been an 'emperors new clothes' thing going on there. I was guilty of buying it for the huge sum of £20.00 in the mid 80's. I was going through that 'Latin Stage' - It did work with all the other Latin tunes though (Somehow!) :D

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Always loved JJ Barnes How Long, remember, writing a request to get it played by a dj, think he was called Nick Cowan on local Radio (Lancashire or Merseyside can't remember) he had a 10 minutes slot in the evening midweek, must have been the first northern radio slot ever, circa 77ish. Anyway he played it, I was a spotty teen & made up.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Win - I think mores the point; we can forget how good some of these tunes are as sometimes too busy looking forward to the next fresh tune.

Len :thumbsup:

Couldnt agree more Len.

After the thread about Beat Ballads. I went back and played the Drifter, Walk With A Winner, Tomorrow is Another Day plus loads more I'd not played in years. And the hairs on my neck were at full attention for the whole time.

Apart from when i played my boot of Bobby Smith - Walk On Into My Heart. I paid half a weeks wages to get ripped off. And cant listen to the record any more :-(

They even sounded fresh, as it had been so long since I'd played them.

Social source share

Hi Mike,

Yep, aint it great when an 'upfont' type D.J drops in a classic that hasn't been heard in ages? - It always sounds so good. Not just because it hasn't been heard in ages but also in contrast to the rest of the set....The D.J is also looked upon as some kind of genius! :D

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hi Mike,

Yep, aint it great when an 'upfont' type D.J drops in a classic that hasn't been heard in ages? - It always sounds so good. Not just because it hasn't been heard in ages but also in contrast to the rest of the set....The D.J is also looked upon as some kind of genius! :D

Len.

Things like this always remind me of Lynne Davis at the 100 club playing - Aint No Mountain High Enough, and the (massively positive) reaction from the dancefloor. Mark said, That Girl has some big bollox. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wow! just spotted this and it took me back, Nick used to pop in for a spot on Radio Merseyside's "Keep on Trucking" hosted by Terry Lennaine on a Monday night, He played a trio of Northern tunes and was ably assisted by myself, Kevin Horsewood and Colin Dilnott much like the spots Richard did with Mike Shaft on Manchester Piccadily. Back in those days it was the only way to hear Northern on the Radio an hour long Northern show was totally unheard of. I think some dj's shyed away from it as c60's & c90's were always popped in ready to record. :g:

Thats the very same show I'm talking about, yeah, Nick Cowan guest spot, had about 10mins a week & was the only radio exposure of Northern that you could here at the time, used to record it on a cassette too.

Happy days indeed.

Aid.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Leon Bryant. Mighty Body(hotsie totsie). Just remembers me some of looks on punters faces on the dance floor at Wigan when it was first played by Searling and co.

Picked it up on ebay cheap and will give it a wee spin now and again when ave got my modern box out, brings back good memories

Social source share

Leon Bryant. Mighty Body(hotsie totsie). Just remembers me some of looks on punters faces on the dance floor at Wigan when it was first played by Searling and co.

Picked it up on ebay cheap and will give it a wee spin now and again when ave got my modern box out, brings back good memories

Is that Mr Doonan by any chance? Too many coincidences surely. Nothing guilty in that pleasure mate, you always had good taste. Nice on a 7" if you have this, only LP for me,

Remember his other one Just The Way You Like It? Even better, I have that on a nice 7" UK./

Social source share

I woke up this morning singing this - Superb! :thumbsup:

Len.

It is superb - it's an absolute Northern belter and Neil Rushton wrote in his book that at one point, it was the biggest sound in the country and people would travel just to hear it. It's got just about everything. Actually pretty rare on it's first Philips issue too.

SL272863.JPG

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It is superb - it's an absolute Northern belter and Neil Rushton wrote in his book that at one point, it was the biggest sound in the country and people would travel just to hear it. It's got just about everything. Actually pretty rare on it's first Philips issue too.

SL272863.JPG

What was it? No Youtube at work....

Social source share

Not sure why I'm posting this, early memories of Ian Jackson / Dom playing this at the 80's Mod rally's - Again absolutely superb - Not Cheesy at all, where is this thread going? - Not sure but sure is refreshing! :thumbsup:

What ever happened to Dom Basset? - He was a hero of mine at that time as was Ian Jackson (Ian still is!)

Len.

a]

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ere ya go....another MONSTER from the distant past.....

Do'ya know what Russ? - I'm D.Jing soon at 'Snooks' at Raunds (June 9th) and I'm gonna open my set with this - F*ck it - It's a f*ckin'n brilliant record!!!...Watch this space, I'll let ya'll know how it goes...

You goin' Life-line mate? - I could do with a 'dance partner'! :thumbup:

Len.

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Do'ya know what Russ? - I'm D.Jing soon at 'Snooks' at Raunds (June 9th) and I'm gonna open my set with this - F*ck it - It's a f*ckin'n brilliant record!!!...Watch this space, I'll let ya'll know how it goes...

You goin' Life-line mate? - I could do with a 'dance partner'! :thumbup:

Len.

I'll still be in the desert Len, mores the pity......

Russ

Social source share

I'll still be in the desert Len, mores the pity......

Russ

B*gger! - I kinda love it when part of 'my history' are the nighters wid me, dya' know what I mean? - oh well, I'll 'Shake a hoof' for ya mate - I'll send you a full report.

Len x

Edited by LEN
Social source share

I'm sure there are people out there that didnt attend Nighters in the 7ts & in particular WC, that are confused by the huge diversity of music that was played, I think that people who didnt attend sometimes have a pre conceived idea of the playlists, fact is only a tiny fraction of what was actually played is ever heard out these days, some with good reason, others should get a new lease of life IMO.

I owe a lot to this period of time for my massively eclectic tastes in Soul Music.

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!