Brenton Wood On Som/maior

Guest kriss kremig

Guest kriss kremig

Good day folks!

Yesterday i digged out a Brenton Wood - The Oogum Boogum Song / Gimme little sign

on a label called SOM/MAIOR. Seems to be some child of RCA in Sao Paolo... it says: RCA Electronica Brasiliera S.A.

have never seen this label so far, also couldn´t find out anything about this record on the internet.

so, anyone got information or even has the same record?

i´m lookin forward to your feedback!

Kriss

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Good day folks!

Yesterday i digged out a Brenton Wood - The Oogum Boogum Song / Gimme little sign

on a label called SOM/MAIOR. Seems to be some child of RCA in Sao Paolo... it says: RCA Electronica Brasiliera S.A.

have never seen this label so far, also couldn´t find out anything about this record on the internet.

so, anyone got information or even has the same record?

Kriss

This was a big hit on double shot. This has to be a local press or a reissue or bootleg.

Social source share

Discos Som-Maior was set up by Sebastiao Bastos in the early part of 1965. It concerned itself initially with local music and musicians. An early signing was young musician and future political activist, Gilberto Gil.

One groups on the label were Trio Salambanco. Playing a fusion of jazz and samba rhythms, the group, which was formed in 1964, comprised of Cesar Camargo Mariano, Humberto Clayber and Airto Moriera. Although they split up after just two albums, they would later be considered as highly influential in bringing world attention to Brazilian fusion music.

Soon after the trio split, Moriera, who was married to vocalist Flora Purim, founded Quarteto Novo with Hermeto Pascoal and headed to the States. Mariano joined another influential group, Som Tres.

Not long after founding the label, owner Bastos went to the States to set up licensing deals and returned having clinched a mutual contract with Audio Fidelity. In the summer of 1966, Som Maior hit the top of the Brazilian charts with the novelty song Juanita Banana by The Peels, which had seen action in the States on the Audio Fidelity subsidiary, Karate.

As well as the Brenton Wood 45, his LP was also released on the Som Maior label.

***Added: just spotted an EP as well - on eBay, complete with picture sleeve and which features the tracks Gimme little sign, Oogum boogum song, Baby you got it, and Me and you.***

At the end of the decade the label was still going and had appointed Fermata International Melodies, Inc, of Sunset Boulevard, Hollywood as it's official licensing agent for the USA and Canadian markets.

That's all I can tell you, I'm afraid, apart from the fact that Som Maior means bigger or higher sound.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

That's OK; no need to acknowledge that someone has gone to the trouble of digging up and posting some information to help you with your question. I can only presume that you knew everything I'd posted already and so it wasn't worthwhile responding. Do forgive my amateurish efforts to help someone on this forum.

You know, when I read your post I knew nothing about Som-Maior whatsoever and so, with a sense of curiosity and the happy desire to share information (and a bit of free time), I made a conscious decision to trawl online to see what background to the label might be gleaned. Three quarters of an hour later and what little facts I'd learned were collated into the post above.

The Soul Source fora are exceptional places to share knowledge and I'm undoubtedly guilty of picking up way more that I have the ability to share. So, when the opportunity arises to perhaps offer something back (and do a bit of self-learning at the same time) I generally jump at the chance.

Obviously, not all members appreciate such knowledge sharing or the efforts made to so.

No problem, I'm not bothered...

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

for what it's worth I was impressed by what you dug up ... I read the original post as a "is this random record I found worth a million dollars?" type post. Anyone genuinely interested probably would have googled to at least find out who Brenton Wood was and known that this was a hit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert